Battery Problems

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

L33tG4m3r

iPod, therefore I am
Hi all,

I just purchased a brand-new 30GB iPod Video from Best Buy, and i'm really satisfied. Nothing is wrong with it, but I was just wondering how long the battery would last, when you use it every day.
The salesman at Best Buy told me that Apple cheapened the Videos and the Li-Ion batteries only last 300 charge cycles as opposed to 500. He also said that with daily usage the battery would only last for a year. Is this true? Or is this some sort of conspiracy started by Best Buy to get people to buy their extended warranty? Even if it is true, I wouldn't mind as there is a place near my house that does iPod battery replacements for 60 dollars, but i'm just wondering if Apple really did downgrade the iPod batteries.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
With so many Pods, I would think u wouldn't be afraid of changing the batt yourself. They are REALLY cheap at eBay.

L33tG4m3r

iPod, therefore I am
Well, I plan to keep this one for a loooooooooooooong time. But really, how can you trust Ebay? I'd rather pay the extra 50 dollars for parts and service than trust my iPod to the creations of chinese knockoffs. I wouldn't mind changing the battery myself, i'm ok at disassembling electronics, I was just wondering about what Best Buy told me.

kornchild2002

There is one golden rule in the world of electronics: Don't listen to the employees of stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, EBgames, etc. as most of them don't know what they are talking about. Sure, there are some honest employees at these stores, I am not trying to knock that.

Apple rated the iPod's battery as having 500 cycles. This means that you can completely drain and completely fill your iPod's battery 500 times before it starts to lose its ability to hold a charge.

Apple is using a Sony Li-ion battery in their iPod. They have been using a Li-ion battery for 4 years now. If they cheapened up by using that type of battery, then EVERY notebook, cell phone, PDA, etc. manufacturer cheapened up by using Li-ion batteries. More than likely, what they said was just a ploy to purchase their extended warranty. Best Buy's main source of income come from the sales of gift cards and extended warranties.

The best thing you can do is to keep your iPod's battery charged on a regular basis. You can use your computer to do this. When you plug in your iPod, make sure iTunes opens up. Then simply click on the eject button and leave your iPod plugged in. Keep your iPod's battery completely charged at all times. However, you should completely drain and charge your iPod's battery about once every 30 days. That will help keep it in shape. You can do this by making a long playlist, plugging in your headphones, setting the volume to 50% or less, start the playlist, then leave your iPod on overnight. This is also a good way to make sure that your iPod's battery is performing correctly.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Golden rules #1.5 - Any tech worth their salt is not gonna work in a retail outlet and deal with the &%^$% public. And yes, retail outlet many time don't make much on selling u the hardware but on extended warranties.

if yer OK about electronics disassembly then u should be saying, I dunn care that they say, because I can replace the battery myself as needed.

Last edited:

paranoidxe

remember the 500 cycle theory is that after 500 charges the battery no longer holds its FULL CHARGE, the battery can last a lot longer than that.

A cycle is one COMPLETE DRAIN of the BATTERY and RECHARGE, not half use then charge..that'd be .5 a cycle.

Last edited: