Battery issue or Iphone IOS/Update issue?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

BeefSteak

I went on a trip recently and my phone was in airplane mode the whole time, I was amazed at how long the battery lasted compared to normal.

Normally I have my phone with blue tooth and WIFI off and it drains really fast, not even using it at all I can see a drop in battery life after only a few hours and if I use a app or game it drains in two hours compared to when I had it in airplane mode that is a lot different.

I bought a battery recently to replace the one in the phone and now I am thinking maybe the issue isn't a bad battery. If one of the updates is causing the battery to drain faster is Apple going to fix it any time soon?

Thom_D

When you put the phone in airplane mode it turns off the phone and I think also the GPS transceivers. These are the hardest on your battery because the phone is always looking for a connection which will put a big hit on the battery.

My son who does not have a smartphone used to live in a spot where he had really weak signal strength and his phone was always running down because it was always seeking out a connection. He moved to a new home where they have really strong signal strength and his phone now lasts a couple of days between charges with normal usage.

You didn't mention how old or which model phone you have so I can't speak about whether or not the new battery was a good or bad choice. If the phone is a couple years old like my 3G a new battery wouldn't hurt. If you are using an iPhone 4 it may not have made that big a difference.

If you find your battery is running down quickly at home with normal usage you might consider turning off 3G and just running on EDGE. You will see slower downloads if you download a lot of pictures, songs, apps, etc. But the phone should work just fine and your battery should last a bit longer.

BeefSteak

Thanks for the info. I have have 3G that is a little over two years old. Today it seemed really bad, I talked maybe 45 minutes on the phone and a little 3G surfing and the battery dropped to 20%.

Here is another odd thing that makes me think the battery is going bad, I just plugged it into my PC to charge and it went from about 15% to 75% in about 6-8 minutes.

hardcle

After 2+ years it wouldn't be unusual to see a decrease in battery life. Lithium ion batteries have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles before they start to lose capacity. But you might be having a calibration issue with your battery meter. Try running it all the way down til it shuts off and charge it until you get the plug symbol.

mayank

Bettery Issue

Hello everyone; I have bought a new Iphone. But I am facing battery problem. Because Normally I have my phone with blue tooth and WIFI off and it drains really fast, not even using it at all I can see a drop in battery life after only a few hours and if I use a app or game it drains in two hours compared to when I had it in airplane mode that is a lot different.....Please provide some information regading same...thanks.

Thom_D

Hello everyone; I have bought a new Iphone. But I am facing battery problem. Because Normally I have my phone with blue tooth and WIFI off and it drains really fast, not even using it at all I can see a drop in battery life after only a few hours and if I use a app or game it drains in two hours compared to when I had it in airplane mode that is a lot different.....Please provide some information regading same...thanks.
Since you have BT and WiFi off they shouldn't be hitting the battery. If you are in an area with a weak 3G signal the phone itself could be searching repeatedly for the signal which will put a big hit on the battery. Also how often is your email set to download new mail? Unless you really really have to have use push email so that your account is always on I would set Fetch New Data to Manual and turn Push off. When you open email it will automatically download the latest batch of mail to your phone.

Anything that is going to use any of the transceivers on the phone, i.e. phone, email, maps, web surfing, is going to add a strain to the battery.

Turn the brightness on the screen down to the lowest level you are comfortable with. Its a backlight so it will use more juice the brighter the screen is.

When I get to work I turn off WiFi and BlueTooth. Because the 3G signal I get sitting here in the AT&T center of all places is so weak, 1 bar most of the time and that comes and goes, I have started to turn off 3G and just live with EDGE. I don't download that much during the day and the company WiFi blocks all the social media sites, Twitter, iTunes, Gmail, AOL Mail, Yahoo Mail etc there is no real reason for me to try to use the WiFi here. I get pretty good battery life that way. And sitting at a desk I keep the phone plugged in most of the time anyway. This provides two benefits; the battery is charged up most of the time and for some reason I get an extra bar of signal, I guess the cord works as a weak antenna booster.

Thom_D

Mayank,

I also just thought about the OS your phone might be running. I am guessing that since it is a new phone it should have come with the latest iOS (4.2.1) but if it doesn't have the latest OS you will want to update it soon. The previous 4.X versions were notorious battery killers. There was something in the code that was always on that didn't need to be that was really killing batteries. So check your OS, Settings > General > About - Version and see what firmware you are running.