Batt. life when watching vid on iPod vs TV Out

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MrZebra77

Hi, I recently upgraded to a 5.5G 80 Gig iPod and have been putting my favorite movies on it.

The specs say that the iPod can last 6.5 hours for Video Playback vs 20 hours for audio.

Now knowing that the main reason why it lasts less is because the screen is always on when you are watching a movie whereas when listening to music it turns off. I did a test and when the iPod is hooked up to a TV, the movie will show on the TV screen but the iPod screen will show basically the same thing it would show if I was playing music AND WILL ALSO TURN OFF after 10 secs.

So my question is this, will the battery last longer when playing movies to a TV as opposed to watch the movie on the iPod screen itself.

I know that another thing involved is the bitrate, when they say 20 hours of audio, it's for 128kbps. I encode all my movies at 900kbps (768 vid + 128 audio) which is about the same bitrate as Apple Lossless audio files.

My theory is that the iPod could playback movies (To a TV) for about the same amount of time as Apple Lossless audio which isn't quite 20 hours due to the HD spinning more often but should be more that 6.5... More like 10-12.

Has anyone done tests about this? That would be good to know as some movies on my iPod are mainly meant to be watched on a TV (When I'm over at someone's place, I'd have my top 15-20 favorite movies of all time with me at all times)

kornchild2002

Battery life is a lot more when hooking the iPod up to a TV. I did a test when I first got my iPod and I was able to get about 15 hours. You won't get 20 hours out of your iPod as the 20 hours is for purely audio at 128kbps without skipping, rewinding, or scrolling. Apple lossless audio takes up a lot more space than 128kbps AAC files. I think you are correct in assuming though that Apple lossless is a good guessing system to use for TV output video battery life.

jill6565

back up battery

i dont think i could get 15 hours of TV out time out of my ipod. I use it to hook to projector to show outdoor movies. But, I do carry a battery back up for the ipod that adds life to it, just in case.