Balance Control

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Mikeycop

Is there any way to independantly control the balance on my Ipod Mini or on Itunes? Let's say as if I were half deaf in one ear and needed to increase the volume on one side or another.

sparkbox

Give Apple Feedback

I have a similar issue where I have a mechanical defect in my right ear since birth. Apple has a link where you can make requests. If enough people request it I'm sure they will make a firmware to add a balance control.

Here is the link www(dot)apple(dot)com(slash)feedback(slash)ipod(dot)html

note:
(slash) = /
(dot) = .

I had to do it this way so I could post the URL since I am not an established user.

Cakbar

I have a similar problem and have emailed Apple under different email addresses to ask for a balance control built into the software. Hopefully some readers with good hearing will feel sorry for us and also contact Apple.

olarte

Hi Guys, maybe we should start a "hard of hearing club" :p

Anyway, I too am in the same boat.... I googled\yahooed etc... and found a nifty piece of hardware that will help us all... read below...
This is a reply that I made to my own request at the MC (Jriver.com) forums (excellent replacement for Itunes by the way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I get to answer my own request... but I figured others might have the same need. I can't be the only guy out there with unbalanced hearing.

IT turns out that Sennheiser makes such an adaptor it's part HZR 62...

But Alas it's very hard to find, and it's $30 ouch... not only that but it comes with a 6 meter cords yuk.

Long story short I tracked them down, they are in Connecticut (US), and they will shorten the cable as part of the sale (for another $25!!!.

Anyway, I ordered the part modified to a 1 foot cable for $58, but at least it will let me control the volume on the ipod, and more importantly let me balance left\right channels.

if you are interested, the part is HZR62, they can be reached at:

the following url:

www(Dot)sennheiserusa(dot)com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=005248

they can be reached at Phone: (860) 434-9190

The part info is:

HZR62 Item No. 005248

Universal volume control cable that comes with 6m of cable and separate left/right volume controls. Requires a standard stereo headphone, such as the PX30.

Hope this helps others like me out there...

Last edited:

sparkbox

RE: Sennheiser HZR 62

Yeah, I have seen that. But I dont want to carry around an additonal item that is linked between my headphones and ipod. Too bulky. There is no reason why Apple cannot make a PAN or Balance control. Other MP3 companys seem to be able to accomplish this. My Cowon iAudio U3 2gig has a PAN control which works like a Balance control and it is perfect. It is just a simple firmware upgrade for Apple. I guess I am going to sell my 60 gig Video when I find a large format video mp3 player that has a balance control. Right now I can only find them on flash players.

eetu

I had same problem

I've been also looking something that changes the balance. Luckily aswer was closer than i thought. You can set balance from Speaker settings in Controlpanel if you have windows. Or you can encode mp3-files to Mono (left or right), set the volume up and move to your mp3-player. I used program called MediaCoder, it's free and quite easy to use. Hope this helps a little

Ps. I'm not sure if you have videos, can they be encoded and how long it's take?

IvanH

Too many years of playing guitar...it ain't loud if your teeth don't bleed! :)

Balance control for UNDER $10

http://www.adorama.com/ILVI111.html
No, no, no. This is a splitter, not in any way for balance control.

There are at least 10% of people in the world have hearing impairment on one of both ears to some degrees. This is very conservative! Because almost everyone aged 40+ has lost 20-90% of hearing ability.

For so many years, Apple has never responded to the request of a balance control, it seems to be 1) a hardware problem, 2) chip design pinfall or limitation, 3) Apple is not a listening company to its customers!