Backup iPod Contents to PC w/MC9?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Stensvaag

Law Prof
Website
soli.inav.net
I apologize if this has been asked and answered but the search capabilities of this forum are limited and I've searched through the various help files for MC9.

Using Ephpod in the past, I have been able to make a complete backup on my hard drive of the contents of the iPod. Giving a single command, the PC ended up with beautifully organized subdirectories containing all of the albums and songs.

I've now switched to the newest MC9 beta, and like it very much. I'd like to make sure I have a good safety copy of what is on the iPod and I have plenty of Firewire hard drive capacity to make such a backup. Can this be done in MC9?

Thanks!

ashawley

Website
www.
Well, you actually don't need to with MC9. Ehpod works somewhat differently, it managed only your iPod. MC9 is a media library management tool, so you'll always have copies of what's on your iPod in your MC9 library. If something goes wrong w/the iPod, you just need to resync and your in business.

Now, if you want to backup your MC9 library, there's an option for that (and I recommend it), just click on File>Library>Backup Library. This will save all of your library info that isn't stored in tags as well as all your Smartlists/Playlists.

Does that make sense? It sounds to me like you were deleting from your PC what was on the iPod after you uploaded it when you were using ephpod. You don't do that w/MC9 as you keep a copy always on the PC (and it's view-able in the Media Library).

You can download to the PC from the iPod, just right click and select that option, although right now it doesn't save the songs in Artist/Album subfolders.

Adam

Stensvaag

Law Prof
Website
soli.inav.net
ashawley said:
Well, you actually don't need to with MC9. Ehpod works somewhat differently, it managed only your iPod. MC9 is a media library management tool, so you'll always have copies of what's on your iPod in your MC9 library. If something goes wrong w/the iPod, you just need to resync and your in business.
Adam
Thanks. As usual, your response was quick and very helpful. I appreciate all the good user support on this forum, and especially appreciate your consistently cheerful contributions.