Backordered replacements

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

szsiddiq

MechiETechiEr
Website
mechietechie.blogspot.com
I called apple today to find out about my service status (sent it to them on teh 14th and my status has been "order created" since the 15th. the woman told me to wait it out till the 3week mark (tuesday of next week) and that she knew for a fact that the 5G was on back order. she gave me the option of getting rid of my engraving saying that that might allow it to come faster, but i figure ive waited this long already, i might as well hold out for it back.
just a warning to all u black 5G 30giggers out there - its definatly the most popular one out there

anyone else sent there personalized 5G in? get it back yet?

getagrip15

Well, mine wasn't engraved, but I did send my 30gb black ipod in on tuesday and I got an email today saying my replacement had been shipped so I should get it in the next coulpe days. Now that's some quick turn around! I had something loose inside my Ipod that rattled if you moved the ipod. And, no, it wasn't the hard drive spinning.

szsiddiq

MechiETechiEr
Website
well, i gues ill just try to forget about it til next wednesday. ive waited this long, i might as well stick with my engraving - i plan on keeping this for years, so id like it to be personal

Breeze

szsiddiq said:
well, i gues ill just try to forget about it til next wednesday. ive waited this long, i might as well stick with my engraving - i plan on keeping this for years, so id like it to be personal
Sid:

While I totally understand your feelings ... if I were you, I wouldn't wait.

FYI my absence from this forum has been due solely to time trying to resolve my replacement "issue."

Background: 60GB black engraved, defective rec'd by Apple on 11/04.

Mon 11/28: called to complain. Spoke to "Dispatch Help Desk." The person there told me that because of the delay, she'd place an order for me for a brand new engraved 60GB black. Gave me the order #, told me it takes 1 business day to process the order, should expect to receive it by Fri 12/02 (today) or Monday 12/05. Told me to call on Wed 11/30 to get status.

Wed 11/30: Called to get status. Order still had not been released. Dispatch Help desk sent email asking my order be expedited.

Thu 12/01: Called Customer Relations to ask for their help. The guy checked and said the order was released. BUT ... he also said that IF I waited, it COULD take another 3-4 weeks for receipt -- DESPITE apple.com's quote of 1-3 business days for engraved ship. He offered ti ship immediately a brand new UNegraved iPod. Asked him if he could arrange pickup of an unegraved unit at the local Apple store.

He did in minutes ... scooted to pick up. Got it.

Sid, again I empathize ... FYI my fiancée is a BIT upset that I didn't wait (since the 60GB was a gift from her).

But here's the dilemma I faced -- based on my communications with Apple, I had NO faith that my engraved iPod would see the light of day, even if I waited an additional 3 weeks (ON TOP of the 4 weeks up to now). And that's based on the opinion of an Apple Customer Relations rep -- who, from his actions for me on Wed., CAN get things done at Apple.

Bottom line: whether you wait or not depends on your patience. I came to the conclusion that I don't trust Apple that much -- and the strain of my follow-up wasn't worth the engraving.

FWIW

Breeze

BTW Sid:

to make up for the loss of engraving, I blew $120 on a personalized Vaja iVod for my now-unegraved 5G!

szsiddiq

MechiETechiEr
Website
lol, well since i dont have the $120 extra, i might just wait it out, atleast to wednesday...i dont have the time to worry much about it after next weed - examsss....so ill see. hopefully thers just a shortage of 60gb drves or something

szsiddiq

MechiETechiEr
Website
so i sent apple an email last night, and they replied today (saturday morning)...heres wut i sent first:
"Hi,
Thank you for your response.
I have been told now that there might be a delay in getting my iPod
back. Is there truely a backorder problem? Or will I receive my iPod
back within the approaching 3 week mark (12/6/05).
Again, Id appriciate you response.
Thank you very much"
and then their response:
"Thank you for your email.

Your model of iPod may be out of stock temporarily. Apple receives part
shipments every day, and we expect to have the repair completed inside
the quoted time. If your repair goes beyond the quote, please contact
AppleCare at 1-800-APL-CARE, so that we may attempt to expidite your
order.

Best regards,

Apple Online Services Support

You can also search through thousands of technical articles by entering
a few descriptive words in the Search box at
<http://www.apple.com/support>.

CS"

Breeze

Sid:

ASSUMING that AppleCare WILL make it by the 3-week quote (12/06) ... it would've shipped by now.

Sorry to douse water on the situation .. OTOH I figure that "realism" needs to be put into the mix as well!

Chricton

11/01/2005 Order Created
11/01/2005 Repair Requested
11/02/2005 Item Shipped
11/08/2005 Unit Received
11/18/2005 Replacement Ordered
11/18/2005 Order Created

I've been waiting almost a month. 3 weeks my ###.

szsiddiq

MechiETechiEr
Website
So i called them - they said their depot in Taiwan that does the engraving (think this is a made up story, but o well) is out of stock for the 5G. They shud atleast notify customers. Not only that, she admited that the shipping date for new engraved ipods will also experience a dely. And wuts their only offer of compensation? to have a nonengraved one shiped within a week or so...for petes sake, if i didnt want to keep the personalization, i wouldnt have waited three freaking weeks in the first place. obviously i sent let go of it for that long cuz i wanted to keep it.

i cant get angry over the phone, so im getting ready to send them a nasty email (which they usually only reply to if nasty anyways)

i understand that they're understrain cuz of the holiday season, but they cud atleast have the nerve to inform their customers of the delay instead of us having to wait on hold for 30mins to talk to someone who has no idea what is going on.

szsiddiq

MechiETechiEr
Website
This is what i sent them...ill see what they say and decide if I want to just screw it and go for the non-engraved one in the next few days:
Dear Apple Customer Service,
I am here at the end of the third week since i sent my iPod to you for service. The brand new iPod I ordered (I was one of the first to order, as I ordered within a few hours of the release of 5G by Mr. Jobs himself) had many issues as I noted in the service request (poor battery life under optimum conditions, lagging menu navigation, jitty navigation after playing movies, inability to turn off after playing movies and an odd clicking noise on the dock connecter) and there for, within just a few weeks of having the iPod, decided it would be best to send it back for repairs or replacement. Your website says a time frame of 2-3weeks can be expected for such a case to be completed.
The engraving i got on the iPod was important to me, and this is why i sent it in for service, instead of having it replaced with a nonengraved one. If I was not willing to wait the quoted 2-3weeks I would not have.
Now I am told that the status of my iPod is uncertain and the time that i will recieve it back is indefinate. I understand that during this holiday rush, the supply of such a popular product is short (there must be a shortage, right? or else i would have mine back by now). Despite any shortage, if there was a backorder or delay, then it would be appreciated if the customers who've sent their iPod (or any product for that matter) to be notified of their status and the delay they will experience.
Now, on top of that, the only compensation that I've so far been offered to make up for this delay is to have a non-engarved iPod shipped to me, which I was told would take would take another 1-2weeks. While I appreciate the thought, again, the engraving is important to me, and I find it ridiculous that this is all that I have been offered to make up for the delay, especially after not having been notified about it.
I have spoken over the phone with customer service twice now and while the representitives are always polite and as helpful as they can be, the information they have has not been helpful to me at all.
I find it very frustrating and dispointing that even after three weeks of having the case open, I can not be told when I'll receive my iPod. In the past I had heard very good things about Apple care, but after this experience and after hearing several others experiencing the same situation, I know by personal experience not to rely on Apple's care.
I would appreciate a response.
Very disapointed

Breeze

Sid:

If I were you I wouldn't expect any "positive" news tomorrow.

Of course, my message of "doom" is affected from personal experience. In my case, I decided to "cut my losses".

mathwiz91

how come they ship new orders but not repairs?
i ordered mine 11/25 and recieved it 11/29 with engraving.
mine friend then ordered his 12/01 and recieved it today 12/05 and he had his engraved. my other friend then ordered one 12/02 and he just checked his email and it said it was shipped and arrived in Denver at the distribution plant so it should be here within a day or two.

all of these were brand new engraved so im wondering why replacment engraved isnt shipping in the same time as new?

its basically the same isn't it?

szsiddiq

MechiETechiEr
Website
thats EXACTLY what im wondering...wut the woman made it sound like tho, was that the engraving for these is done in a facility in taiwan. where as the engraving for the new ones are done at the factory in shengai, china...i cant make any sense of it

Breeze

Mathwiz:

I was wondering the same thing when my "replacement order" was made on 11/04.

szsiddiq

MechiETechiEr
Website
mathwiz91 said:
how come they ship new orders but not repairs?
i ordered mine 11/25 and recieved it 11/29 with engraving.
mine friend then ordered his 12/01 and recieved it today 12/05 and he had his engraved. my other friend then ordered one 12/02 and he just checked his email and it said it was shipped and arrived in Denver at the distribution plant so it should be here within a day or two.

all of these were brand new engraved so im wondering why replacment engraved isnt shipping in the same time as new?

its basically the same isn't it?
thanks for letting me know that tho, now ill have something to throw back at them