Auto Detect Missing Media (!)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

scottallen40

Once I downloaded the latest update to itunes all of u sudden 1,700 songs cannot be located.

I spent countless hours editing the tags and now not only are 1,700 songs unable to be located, but those same songs reverted to their original tags.

I do have both the "Keep itunes organized" and "Consolidate files in itunes media" options selected in the advanced preferences tab.

I am running itunes 11.1.3.8 on my HP Pavillion with Windows 7 x64.

Please Help!!! Thanks!

cjmnews

Staff member
The update must have failed. Sometimes this happens when jumping lots of version numbers.

In your Previous iTunes Library folder there is a file named iTunes Library <date>.itl where <date> is the date when the upgrade happened.

Close iTunes
Copy this file to the iTunes folder.
Delete the file named iTunes Library.itl
Rename the iTunes Library <date>.itl to iTunes Library.itl
Open iTunes.

You should be good to go.

scottallen40

Okay this sounds like it will work... but 1 question, what is the difference between the .xml and .itl itunes library files??

Thanks for the help btw!!

scottallen40

Okay I did it and the songs are still missing and messy... When I deleted the iTunes Library.itl there were other similar files which I left alone:

itunes library.itl
itunes library extras.itdb
itunes library genius.itdb (should these be deleted also??)

I should also mention that I did change the location of the itunes media folder to an external drive, Once the location was changed, the external drive did have a new itunes media folder in it... but only had one subfolder and no files...

I then reverted the file path back to the original location and everything was fine, except for the 1,700 missing.

I should also mention that these specific song files NEVER correlated with the song, artist, album labels in itunes (even though the Keep itunes Media Folder organized option is selected)

So I'm thinking this had more to do with the issues than the minor itunes update.

cjmnews

Staff member
The XML file has most of the information in your library but not all. You can use this file to rebuild your library in an emergency. The itdb files are database files, we usually ignore them, unless there are performance or genius issues, then we delete them.

My solution assumed you had not moved anything.

If you want to move iTunes to an external drive you'll need to use the Consolidate command after we fix your 1700 song issue.

Have you tried searching for some of these missing songs in your iTunes folder? How about on your whole drive?

If you right click one of these files and choose Get Info, then click on the cancel button instead of locate, does the path to the file in the General section seem correct? Have you looked near there for your file?

scottallen40

The funny thing is is that all of the missing songs were in the itunes folder where they had always been.

All of my previous libraries have the same problem. I did make a .xml file via the export library command right before the problems is that enough??

So I created a new library and just added the itunes media folder. So now the songs are all there but the labels are screwed up again.

From what I understand when the the Keep itunes media folder organized command is selected itunes will automatically change the file name in itunes media to match that in itunes.

For some reason these 1700 songs were excluded from the command. So when I edited them in itunes the file itself did not change in the itunes media folder.

B/c of this when I changed the location of itunes media to my external drive and then back to its original location again those 1700 song files did not match those in itunes, thuss the (!)....

The question now is why wont some songs work with the keep itunes media organized command??

cjmnews

Staff member
You also need the Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library also turned on. iTunes will only manage files that are in the iTunes Media folder, so if you have this option OFF, then the song files will remain where they were and they won't be organized either.

Plus you seem to be using MP3 files and iTunes is not consistent in keeping those tags up to date in the song files. You may have to select the MP3 files, right click and choose Convert ID3 to get the tags that you already set in iTunes to be written out to the MP3 files.

You should be able to recreate your library from the XML file. iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists

scottallen40

That's the problem then. They are all mp3 files. Well I should say the 1700 are, as well as many of the others which WERE consistent in keeping the tags updated. Just a little strange that some are consistent and some are not...

Question: is there a way to sort the songs in itunes to see if they are mp3 or m4a files?

Thanks again this has been a very long and painstaking process and when I called apple support they just made it worse. The help you are offering has gotten me closer to having my library reach perfection!

cjmnews

Staff member
Yes. You can add the Kind column and sort by it. Right click the top bar of the Music section and put a check mark next to Kind.

scottallen40

So if I were to scrap the 1700 songs issue and start anew, what do you think about this process to ensure all carryover is correct??

1. Make a new library with my existing itunes media folder
2. Edit all itunes tags
3. Create ID3 tags for all mp3 files
4. Change itunes media folder location **
5. Run both "Keep itunes organized" & "copy files to itunes media" commands
6. Make backup

** I still want the new itunes media folder location in the same place as the old one, so would I copy the media folder to my desktop, create a new library with it, and then change its location once the editing is done??

cjmnews

Staff member
Almost.

To delete your library, you just need to delete iTunes Library.itl file then open iTunes.
Ensure the iTunes Medua Folder location is set correctly.
Set the "Keep itunes organized" & "copy files to itunes media" options.

Then you can use File->Add Folder to Library using the same folder as before.
Then edit the tags
Then Convert ID3 tags to write them to the mp3 files.
Then backup

scottallen40

The only problem i am having is when I convert ID3 tags, itunes creates a new folder in itunes media with the correct info, but at the same time leaves the old folder in the same itunes media folder (empty).

So i would have to edit, convert, then find the old folder and delete it in itunes media. Very, very monotonous.

Any ideas?

scottallen40

IT WORKED!! Every song has been located, tagged, and consolidated!

The only issue is the directories with the old album art in them, but if I really get ambitious I'll pick up a directory cleaner.

The "show in windows explorer" option makes finding the actual files so easy I may just leave as is...

Regardless THANK YOU so much! I have been trying to have my library organized like this for years!

Happy Holidays!

scottallen40

I spoke too soon...

Everything was working great until I noticed yesterday that those annoying little "!" were back. 298 songs need to be located but I have no idea why and would rather not have to do this every couple months....

Its pretty much the same thing that happened last time, itunes cant find the songs and the tags revert to the originals...

Makes no sense to me hopefully it does to you thanks!

cjmnews

Staff member
Are these new songs?

If so, then after you add the tracks and set the album and artist tags in iTunes, then you must do the Convert ID3 command at the end of each set of imports to put the iTunes data into the files.

The next question is, did you move or rename the files with Windows Explorer? Don't do that. Your updates to the tags in iTunes moves them for you if you have set the "Keep itunes organized" & "copy files to itunes media" options turned on.

scottallen40

No I didn't move or change the windows explorer files... learned my lesson with that before.

I just need to get in the habit of converting ID3 tags every time I make a change to a mp3 file.

This could finally be the end of the thread, Thanks again!