Auto charger and cased iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

macaddicted

I have read here that charging your ipod in a case can be a very bad thing. But I have an hour commute to school and have always used an auto charger. I will be playing music while my G3 ipod is plugged in to the charger--is this a problem? I have an Action Jacket, and while it is great for my morning walks, it would seem that the case would hold any heat quite nicely. I got the case free with the ipod, so replacing it would not break my heart.

ZoidbergD

Excessive heat is not good for the iPod's battery, in general. If possible, try to take the iPod out of its case when charging or connected to the computer...

wickerbill

I wouldn't think it would make that much heat. Most of the heat is generated from the hard drive spinning, not charging the battery. Check the temperature after your drive and you should be able to feel if it's hot or not.

Bob

Administrator
Website
forums.ilounge.com
I would advise against charging/using your iPod in a case whilst connected to the auto charger - I used mine (dressed in a Groove Jacket) and was suprised at how hot it had become. It was connected via a casstte adaptor to the car stereo and was resting in the ashtray. When I went to disconnect it the heat given off was slightly worrying. This was on a short (30 min) drive and I was just topping up the iPod before going around town with it.
So, if you can take it out of the case. Apple recommend you do. And I second that!

Jackonicko

Retired
Heat build up is obviously worse when the drive is spinning, but Apple still specifically advise against using a case when charging from the wall charger OR a car charger.

This makes some sense, because the iPod relies on its stainless steel back as a heat exchanger and heat sink for cooling. Basic thermodynamics dictate that heat sinks and heat exchangers work by offering the largest single continuous surface area to the cooling medium (the air) so covering it is a bad idea, even if your case has 'ventilation holes'.

It's inconvenient to remove a case or jacket, sure, but it makes obvious sense to take this manufacturer recommended precaution.

Who knows best? You, or Apple with its hundreds of engineers and thermodynamacists?

Taskman

Once again I thank the fact I got a Best Buy protection plan. Not only do I not care if I drop the thing while going around town and running. Now I dont have to care if it dies from over heating.

Taskman

TheSunTheSea

I'm feelin supersonic
On the same note, is it bad to let the iPod charge every night? I use my iPod at work and I'm in the office for 8.5 hours a day, so almost all of my battery life is gone. Does it harm the battery by charging it overnight, every night?