Audiobooks Won't Synch to iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Emme_Toby

I am having a problem getting audiobooks to synch to my iPod. Generally I download audiobooks using Overdrive and sync then through iTunes to my iPod. I use the latest version of iTunes (11.3) and IOS 7.1 on the iPod. Now when I transfer a book in WMA format to the iPod, it shows up on the iPod but the title is greyed out and there is a grey circle to the left of the title. It appears that iTunes is not converting the files properly.

Now I have a new problem. I have an audiobook on CD which I ripped using iTunes. When I copied it over to the iPod, 2 of the 12 chapters were fine, but the other 10 were greyed out with the grey circle to the left of the title. All chapters of the book play OK in iTunes, but only 2 play on the iPod.

What is going on here?

cjmnews

Staff member
First off when you use Overdrive to put an audiobook on an iPod, it converts it to m4a format because the iPod can't play WMA. You also have to use manual mode to allow Overdrive to perform the conversion, so typically the songs are not available in iTunes.

Based on what I have read, this occurs when you use Sync over Wifi and there is a glitch in the syncing process. Uncheck sync over wifi, use the cable and transfer the songs again.

Emme_Toby

No, I am not synching over WiFi. I am using a cable.

Is it iTunes or the IOS software on the iPod that does the file conversion to m4a format??

Whichever one it is. it seems to be screwing up. I will try to re-install the software on the iPod to see if that makes a difference. If not, then I will rei-install iTunes.

cjmnews

Staff member
If you used the cable, the Sync did not complete.

iTunes does the conversion.

The conversion could have been done properly, but if your iPod is out of space, it is possible that only the title of the track was added.

Reinstalls will not help you.

Emme_Toby

There is the problem.
It looked like there was lots of space on the iPod, but no.......
I deleted some books to make room, and the file conversion completed right away. Doh!
Thanks for the help.