Audiobook playlist on iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

cavie78

Audiobooks on my iPod appear to be ordered according to individual track names and not grouped together under album name (i.e. book title) - is there a way to get round this? I may well be being a complete gong here so apologies!

cjmnews

Staff member
I believe you are looking to have a single entry in the Audiobooks section for your book instead of seeing all the tracks.

You can try to do this by following the steps already documented in this section of the forums for merging the book together into a single file. There will be issues, ranging from incompatibility of some merging software to files getting too large to keep their place even if Remember Playback Position is turned on.

I recommend the following:
1. Set your import quality to Podcast Quality for audiobooks.
2. Rip CD Audiobooks as a single file per CD (Select all the tracks, Advanced->Join CD Tracks, import CD).
3. Set Remember Playback Position and Skip on Shuffle for each file.
4. Create a Playlist to hold the book.
5. Create a Smart Playlist to play the book (Playlist is name from step 3 and Play Count = 0)
6. Optional - Load artwork for the audiobook
7. Sync the Smart Playlist and the other book playlist to your iPod.

What you need to do to listen is, locate the Smart Playlist (under MUSIC->Playlists or Playlists if you have that enabled in the iPod Settings), press Play on the playlist.

As you listen, the files you complete will fall out of the smart playlist, so you won't re-hear a part of the book you have finished. Because the Remember Playbook Position is turned on, if you pause your place within the file is retained.

You can leave the audiobook, listen to something else, and go back to it, and your place will be picked up.

Once you are done with the audiobook you can use iTunes to view the playlist with the book select all the files and choose Reset Playcount which will allow the book to be listened to again with the smart playlist.

Rereading your post again, you could be talking about the tracks being sorted out of order. This can be resolved by ensuring the title is the same, and the Disc # and Track # is set for each file.

Hopefully one of these answers your question.

robert

Retired
.. and you can drag and drop tracks into proper order with iTunes while iPod is attached to computer. Click on first (untitled) column to left first until arrow points up, and then highlight and drag into proper order.

zanarkand

Hey Cavie,

Would you happen to be the guy who uses the name Cavie95 at other boards? If you are
you will of course recognize me.

alinkens

I have two iPods.. One of them is an older 60GB iPod Photo. The other is a new 80GB iPod.

I have a bunch of Audiobooks, some I purchased on Audible and others I ripped from CD/Cassette.

On the old iPod all audiobooks showed up under Genre>Audiobooks sorted by Artist Name, then Book, then Track.

On the new iPod all the Audible files show up under "Audiobooks" and are not sorted by anything other than track name, which means if you have 10 audiobooks they all show up in one big list, if each audiobook has 4-5 files now you have 40-50 tracks you have to scroll through to get to the one you want and you can't sort by artist. The home ripped audiobooks still show up under Genre>Audiobook sorted by Artist Name, Book, Track.

Is there a way to get the Audible files to be sorted like they used to?

robert

Retired
alinkens said:
I have two iPods.. One of them is an older 60GB iPod Photo. The other is a new 80GB iPod.
I have a bunch of Audiobooks, some I purchased on Audible and others I ripped from CD/Cassette.

On the old iPod all audiobooks showed up under Genre>Audiobooks sorted by Artist Name, then Book, then Track.

On the new iPod all the Audible files show up under "Audiobooks" and are not sorted by anything other than track name, which means if you have 10 audiobooks they all show up in one big list, if each audiobook has 4-5 files now you have 40-50 tracks you have to scroll through to get to the one you want and you can't sort by artist. The home ripped audiobooks still show up under Genre>Audiobook sorted by Artist Name, Book, Track.

Is there a way to get the Audible files to be sorted like they used to?
Smart Playlist Solution which Doesn't require building a Smart Playlist for each audiobook

All audio books for those that come from audible.com are already identified as audiobook genre. I use Conversion for the genre of those I have ripped. I create two smart playlists, one tiled Audiobook and one titled Conversion. Each smart play list has two conditions:
Audiobook Smart Playlist (I use singular Audiobook to distinguish from iPod fixed menu Audiobooks):
Genre is Audiobook
Playcount is zero
Check match all conditions

Conversion Smart Playlist
Genre is Conversion
Playcount is zero

That way I can distinguish between protected and unprotected files. This is of course optional and you could use audiobook as the genre for all your audio book files.
If you named or changed all audio books to the genre Audiobook (in iTunes for either attached iPod or in iTunes itself, highlight all wishing to rename > R Click > select Get Info and change genre to audiobook. This will change all of the highlighted files), then you would need only one Smart Playlist entitled something like Unread Audiobooks:

Smart Playlist titled Unread Audiobooks
Genre is Audiobook
Playcount is Zero

Either of these playlists will drop off read files/songs/parts* so that you do not have to search for the part you are currently reading, listening from the Smart Playlist.

*I haven't checked update, but previous versions dropped out the play count not equal 0 only when going to menu and back to smart playlist.

puckles

Website
fotolog.net
what makes little sense to me is why i should have to merge my audio book files into 1 audio file. i listen to a lot of books by humorists and essayists... i want the stories to be separate entities...

why do itunes and the ipod approach audio books so differently than music?

i like the idea of having a separate area for audiobooks, why not have the titles all listed, then click the title, find the tracks just like music.

i was a little suprised to find audiobooks are so clumsily handled this late in the game.

i'll take my answer off the line

(sorry, been listening to a bit too much talk radio too)

Last edited by a moderator:

cjmnews

Staff member
You don't have to merge them all as one file. In fact files that are too large cause problems on different iPods.

As for how they are handled, I think you'll find a lot of agreement with your points.

stevehaley

puckles said:
what makes little sense to me is why i should have to merge my audio book files into 1 audio file. i listen to a lot of books by humorists and essayists... i want the stories to be separate entities...
You can create chapter marks within the Audiobooks - these appear when you select the audiobook. Easy to do on an Apple but until recently impossible on a PC. SSA now makes this possible.
Have been working on a frontend to easily create and chapterise Audiobooks that I will release under GPL when I have fully debugged it.
Personally I find that one file tagged in this way is much easier to manage and thanks to the size-reset problems being cured in the classic havent had any problems with even very large books.

tomtjose

check the link

podfilecreator . appspot . com

to create pod files for ssa