Audible.com and limited accounts on iTunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

CuteePatootee

I just got a iPod Classic 80g.

I loaded all my audible.com audiobooks onto iTunes with no problems. It asked me for all my accounts and all the passwords. Everything just fine.

Then I was trying to load my audible.com audiobooks onto my ipod when I got the error message that only 2 accounts are allowed on the ipod at any given time. I gotta say that that makes my scalp tight with a migrain headache! I have 6 different accounts and have over 600 books. I wanted to put as many on here as I could, which is why I chose the 80g size.

Has anyone any idea who to complain to, to maybe have them change this?

I complained to audible and they said its an iTunes "rule".

Any work around anyone has figured out? I could scream. What a waste of 80g. I read mainly series books and they are spread out over all the accounts and now I can't put one whole series on the darn iPod.

Cutee

dordale

Only workaround that I know (and I admit it's not a good one) is to burn your audible books to CD and then rip them to m4a or mp3 format.

Would it be possible for audible to combine some of your accounts? I don't know your specifics or if audible has a way of doing this.

Good luck--I hope someone has a better answer for you than I do!

dordale :)

robert

If the reason you want to put the 600 books on your iPod is for back up, seems that the better way to do so is to copy your iTunes Library, or parts of it, onto your iPod as a hard disc so that you can easily copy them back to iTunes in case of a hard drive failure.* Copying music and audio book files from iPod back to computer takes some special steps not supported by or possible with iTunes. At least with audible.com, you can always download your audible library if need be.

*Requires setting up iPod to function as a hard disc on which you could back up lots of key data such as contacts, important documents, etc.

CuteePatootee

dordale said:
Only workaround that I know (and I admit it's not a good one) is to burn your audible books to CD and then rip them to m4a or mp3 format.

Would it be possible for audible to combine some of your accounts? I don't know your specifics or if audible has a way of doing this.

Good luck--I hope someone has a better answer for you than I do!

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me what m4a format is? Is it end up smaller than mp3?
Its so irritating that I can't just use what I have. aa format is so small!
Alyce

CuteePatootee

robert said:
If the reason you want to put the 600 books on your iPod is for back up, seems that the better way to do so is to copy your iTunes Library, or parts of it, onto your iPod as a hard disc so that you can easily copy them back to iTunes in case of a hard drive failure.* Copying music and audio book files from iPod back to computer takes some special steps not supported by or possible with iTunes. At least with audible.com, you can always download your audible library if need be.

*Requires setting up iPod to function as a hard disc on which you could back up lots of key data such as contacts, important documents, etc.
I want all my audio books on my iPod because I can. I don't want to go and upload and remove as I read. Thats why I got an 80 gig. I can put them all on iTunes but just not on my iPod. It is so irritating that "someone" "somewhere" decided how I can use my 250$ iPod.
Thanks for your reply.
Know who at Apple I can complain to?
Alyce

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
Well, it's an iTunes and Audible rule, to be fair. The restrictions on the number of authorized computers for Audible content has always been more restrictive than iTunes' restrictions (ie, 2 computers for Audible vs 5 for iTunes Store content, for instance).

There is a limit to the number of different accounts that one iPod will support. For iTunes Store accounts, the limit is five (5), but I'm not sure if that's the same for Audible.com accounts (you're honestly the first person I've encountered with this issue with Audible.com content :) ).

At any rate, the restriction is there to prevent somebody from taking their iPod around and collecting content from other people's accounts, which is technically not permitted under the Audible.com user agreement. To be fair, the real issue is that you have so many Audible.com accounts, not that Apple has unreasonably restricted the use of them.

Unfortunately, it's very unlikely you're going to get Apple to change this restriction, if for no other reason than they're a monolithic corporation, and your particular situation is not typical. That having been said, you can submit your feedback to them at http://www.apple.com/feedback.html, or submit a request via the "Support" pages. If you contact support, however, don't be surprised if you simply get a canned answer along the lines of "We're sorry but that's just the way it works."

You're probably far better off to get Audible.com to combine/consolidate your accounts somehow so that all of your audiobooks are registered with a single account rather than six different ones.

dordale

Alyce--If you do decide to burn to cd then rip your files back to either mp3 or m4a format, you can change the settings to use in iTunes. You can choose to make the files smaller--Audible format 4 files are based on 32kbps mp3 files.

If you do have over 600 books and want to do this with all of them, it will be quite a process--and probably not worth it. You can only fit 70 minutes of audio on each cd.

I would talk to audible about the possibility of combining your accounts--that would definitely be far easier than any other options!

Good luck!

JRoDDz

Why would you have 6 different Audible accounts? Multiple personality?

CuteePatootee

JRoDDz said:
Why would you have 6 different Audible accounts? Multiple personality?
As a Senior person on this list I am quite astounded that you feel that this answer to my question is appropriate, valid or responsible.

Not that it is anyones business, I have 6 accounts because I joined 6 different times for various reasons. Which are my own.

Since that is your only reply, I am assuming that you have no answer for me and just wanted to try to make a fool of me. Didn't work. Thanks for nothing.

jruggiero

fixed yet?

Hello!

I am about to activate another Audible account. I had trouble with this in the past and gave up about a year ago. Has this been fixed today?

Thanks! Jennifer

I just got a iPod Classic 80g.

I loaded all my audible.com audiobooks onto iTunes with no problems. It asked me for all my accounts and all the passwords. Everything just fine.

Then I was trying to load my audible.com audiobooks onto my ipod when I got the error message that only 2 accounts are allowed on the ipod at any given time. I gotta say that that makes my scalp tight with a migrain headache! I have 6 different accounts and have over 600 books. I wanted to put as many on here as I could, which is why I chose the 80g size.

Has anyone any idea who to complain to, to maybe have them change this?

I complained to audible and they said its an iTunes "rule".

Any work around anyone has figured out? I could scream. What a waste of 80g. I read mainly series books and they are spread out over all the accounts and now I can't put one whole series on the darn iPod.

Cutee

cjmnews

Staff member
There is nothing to fix. You get 2 audible accounts per iPod. That's it.

Live within the rules and you'll be fine. Just use one of the audible accounts you already have and everything will work fine.

jruggiero

There is nothing to fix. You get 2 audible accounts per iPod. That's it.

Live within the rules and you'll be fine. Just use one of the audible accounts you already have and everything will work fine.
Thanks for the speedy reply. I appreciate it!

I was asking because my one year contract with Audible is up this month and I wanted to purchase another ipod from Amazon. In doing so, you can get 100 dollars off the cost of your iPod if you sign up with Audible for one year. I would love to continue with Audible for another year, but sure would also like to take advantage of the 100 dollars off offer for iPods through Amazon (with Audible).

I hope your day is super, and thank you again!

Jennifer