Audible book "sections"

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Marthas1

Please choose the appropriate forum for this topic. Thank you. Hi everyone,
I bought a new car last month. I had a Kenwood navigation/head unit istalled, and decided to use Kenwood's "music keg" (which is Audible compatible) until Kenwood releases it's iPod adapter at the end of this year. I have noticed that the "keg" shows the Audible books divided into multiple sections. For example, I am currently listening to Part 1 of William Bernhardt's Dark Eyes, and it shows Part 1 Section 8 and so on. I have never seen section breaks on my iPods, and find it helpful. The files look exactly the same upon download as they do in Itunes, (ie. Part 1 and Part 2) yet they are sectioned. I know that the Audible manager allowed the books to be sectioned in the old OTIS, but has anyone heard of this being an available option for the iPod?

BTW, this little "keg" is much more fussy to use than the iPod...I am so looking forward to again listening to my books in the car on my iPod!

Podunk

Martha, while your iPod is playing the audible file, tap the center button. This will take you to the navigation bar. There you will see the vertical section bars, which you can move to with the FF/RW buttons. Using the scroll wheel while in navigation mode will let you zip to any point in the file instantly.

Marthas1

Podunk,
Thanks for your response. I do use the scrub feature frequently with my Ipods, but these "sections" are almost like tracks on the Keg. (I'm almost at the end of Part 1 of the current book and it is displaying Part 1 Section 9) Very different from what I've seen on my Ipods. Maybe it was done for subscribers with a Keg due to the fact that although is seems to maintain a bookmark, it's hard to navigate to the actual "Part 1" or "Part 2 " if the bookmark does get lost (and there is no "scrub" feature for this device). I have no experience with any other type of device other than OTIS or the Ipods to know if the "section" feature is found elsewhere as well.
In any event, the Ipod is SO much easier to use! If section breaks (like chapters) can be put on downloads to other devices, why not on the Ipod?

dordale

Marthas1--

All the other players I've used for audio books (Rio 500, Rio 600, and Creative Muvo) have noted the sections as you describe...only the iPod doesn't note the sections in the title of the book.

But hav you tried hitting the fast forward or rewind button when "scrubbing" an audio book? This will jump forward or backward to the next section as Podunk says. So, even though the sections aren't as visible as they are on other players, they are in the files on the iPod, and it is fairly easy to navigate between them.

dordale :)

Marthas1

Wow...thanks so much to both of you for your help. I can't believe that I have been using the Ipod for 2 years and have never used the FF/RW while scrubbing...only the scroll wheel. I think I got gun shy with any use of the FF/RW buttons of the 3G Ipod after returning to the beginning numerous times as a new user! It's also great to know that the "sections" haven't been left out of the Ipod.

Just goes to show you that you can learn something new every day!!! Thanks again.

Podunk

Marthas1, if you read the Audible + iPod User's Guide (if you haven't already) in the sticky section, you might pick up a few more tips.

It probably needs a good updating but it covers all the basics.