Audible Book Recommendations - Post yours here

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Podunk

yeah, I got "The Colour of Magic." I had no idea what to expect. I liked it okay, but not as much as Adams Hitchhiker series, which are similar type of humor. I'll probably listen to another one soon. The chart linked above is really cool.

BTW, have you been listening to the FREE series of dispatches from the Everest Climbers? They are short but really interesting. Only a couple minutes so easier to just stream them.

Last edited:

CarbonRods

parannoya said:
BTW, have you been listening to the FREE series of dispatches from the Everest Climbers? They are short but really interesting. Only a couple minutes so easier to just stream them.
No... I didn't know about them, so thanks for pointing them out. I'll check them out this weekend.

CR

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
Just a tip - if you are starting on Terry Pratchett, the first two books in the Discworld series ('Colour of Magic' and 'The Light Fantastic') while amusing, are not all that well written (Pratchett had still to get into his stride).

DON'T BE PUT OFF!

The other books are just fabulous. I usually recommend that people who haven't tried Pratchett start with something like 'Mort' or 'Equal Rites'.

Podunk

OK, thanks. I 'll grab another one soon. I'll try one of those. I had heard similar comments about "Colour of Magic" but it seemed like a logical place to start. I like that one OK but just maybe not enough to justify all the hoopla.

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
IMHO, Pratchett (once he really got going) is one of Britain's best writers .

He somehow manages to combine ludicrous fantasy with characters who have real depth, themes covering deep and important issues (some of which can make you weep), with page-turning plots - and yet manages to have you laughing hysterically at the same time. Walking along listening to him generally gets me some very odd looks as I burst out laughing (mind you, Neal Stephenson's 'Snow Crash' is getting me the same response).

To quote Shakespeare (who was talking about another clown):

"He uses his folly as a stalking horse
And beneath the presentation of that
He shoots his wit."

Another tip - the Discworld books move between different sets of characters, and each set has a different flavour. Some may appeal to you more than others.

There's the books around the wizard Rincewind - Colour of Magic, Light Fantastic, Sourcery, Eric, The Last Continent, Interesting Times. These, to my mind, are the weakest set (though the last named is still pretty good).

Then there's the set around the Witches, including an amazing character called Granny Weatherwax - Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, Maskerade, Carpe Jugulum. These are excellent, particularly the last, which has some very grim moments.

Then there's the ones circling around the personified Death (who rides a pale horse - called Binky): Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Hogfather.

And then one ones about the City Watch, which are almost in a jokey Film Noir style, featuring Captain (later Commander) Vimes and Corporal Carrot, who's a six-foot seven dwarf. These include real mystery story plots (among many other things) - Guards Guards, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch. The latter is almost not humorous at all, but very moving.

And then an assorted set: Pyramids, Moving Pictures, Small Gods, Jingo, The Truth, The Thief of Time.

All of these books share the same basic background, and there's lots of cross-over between the sets of characters, particularly the wizards, who turn up in a lot of the books.

Lately Pratchett has been taking some interesting turns - almost out of the Discworld canon but not quite - with a more serious aim, I think. The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, The Wee Free Men and Monstrous Regiment.

Not all of these are so far available as audio books, of course, but many of them are.

Last edited:

jjob80

I'm brand new to Audible, having subscribed to get the $100. off the mini. I've only been a member for one month but I am in the process of listening to Middlesex and it is very good. I also got Da Vinci Code, good, but compared to the narration for Middlesex, it doesn't compare. It's obviously very personal, as far as what books you like, but when you listen to 13 plus hours, the quality of the narrator plays an important part. Now if only I would finally get the mini Ipod so I don't have to burn all those CDs!

jennsutherland

Fave audio books

I've listened to several audio books now, and there are definitely thosethat stand out, and those that aren't as good. Current favorites include:

American Gods - Neil Gaiman, one of my fave books, and now a wonderful audio book
Small Gods - Terry Pratchett, one of my fave of the Discworld series

-js

sahmad88

Website
scubanights.com
I have only been a member for a few months, but here is what I have gotten so far:

I really liked:
Lies and the Lying Liars who tell them - Al Franken. Hysterical look at the conservative media. Also great since it is read by Al Franken.

Eragon - Christopher Paolini. Lots of fun. I am really looking forward to more in this series. Great fun fantasy.

The DaVinci Code - Dan Brown. Very good historical fiction. And despite what other people have said, I really enjoyed listening to this narrator. Audible has really good samples of their stuff, so you can essentially try before you buy. Since it is such a personal thing if you will like the narrator out or not, try listening first.

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card. One of my favorite books I have read, and now one of my favorite to listen to.

Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson. Another good sci fi book. At first I didn't care for this narrator, but then he grew on me. Great story.

I am listening to right now:
The Diamond Age - Neal Stephenson. I am only about an hour into this one, but so far I don't care for the narrator. It is making it hard for me to stick with it.

sahmad88

Website
scubanights.com
CarbonRods said:
Historical :confused:
I guess it depends on your definition of historical fiction. When I think of those words, I think of fiction (not true) set in historical settings or using historical figures. But it is fiction. Not non-fiction.

By the way, it isn't available on audible.com, but if you did enjoy The DaVinci Code, you might like The Eight by Katherine Neville. The Eight doesn't try to make a point about about anything like The DaVinci Code tries to make you think about what you thought was true, but it is another fiction book that uses many historical figures as figures in its story.

BillClinton

Former First Lounger
Absolutely LOVED: 1.Life Of Pi (Yann Martel) - My first book from Audible - It hooked me and set the hook deep.
2.A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson) - If you have some interest in science (physics, astronomy, paleontology...), but find most texts are too boring or don't do a good job of explaining things - then this is PERFECT for you. Anything by Bryson is entertaining and informative. Sometimes, I found myself getting somewhat lost trying to memorize some of the names that were strewn about, but then I kicked back and enjoyed the ride (realizing that there would be no quiz to follow the book). This is one I will listen to again.
3.Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them (Al Franken) - Hilarious! If you are a die-hard republican who is not willing to listen to anything derogatory to your dogma - don't get this one. Anyone else who wants to burst out laughing - get it.

One book I would have to not recommend is The Dream of Reason (Anthony Gottlieb) - I found the subject matter a little too plodding, but if you have an interest in ancient thinkers, or need something to supplement a class, then you may be interested in this.

The Humanist

Website
demise.da.ru
I cannot believe that no one has suggested "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them" - Al Frankin.

Either that, or my search feature is on the fritz.

EDIT: Well, my search feature was on the fritz, but it is a good book nonetheless.

bordeaaj

I have been at least a 2 books/month audible listener for close to two years now and Paranoia by Joseph Finder is the best novel I have heard so far. A good narrator sure can make a huge difference, and I really, really enjoyed Scott Bricks narration on this one.

dordale

bordeaj--

Cool--I purchased and downloaded Paranoia about a month ago--just haven't gotten around to listening to it yet...I'll bump it up to next in line on my listening list!

dordale :)

bordeaaj

dordale-
Uh oh...Now I am nervous someone actually listened to my recommendation! I hope you like Paranoia as much as I did.

bordeaaj

alison0313

Loved:

Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris - Made me laugh out loud many times.
The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
Can You Keep a Secret? - Sophie Kinsella LOVED it. Like Bridget Jones, but better.
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold - This book had me in tears so many times.

Liked:

The DaVinci Code (unabridged) - Dan Brown - I found it predictable, or I should have went in the crytology field.. Fun listen though.
White Oleander - Janet Fitch - Oprah needs to narrate more books!
Hey Nostradamus - Douglas Coupland -

Wouldn't recommend:

The Funny Thing Is... Ellen Degeneres. - HBO special with the same material was more enjoyable. I felt like she was trying to fill time, example: the chapter where she gave a tour of her house. Waste of time.

Didn't finish:

A Short History of Nearly Everything (unabridged) - I like it, It's just too much to take in :)
David Sedaris Live at Carnegie Hall - Picked this right after I listened to Me Talk Pretty.. as much as I loved MTPOD, it was TOO much Sedaris to take in at once.

My current book is Sleeping Beauty by Phillip Margolin. It has my attention.. not really sure what I think of it yet though.

CarbonRods

Re: Master and Commander: Aubrey/Maturin Series, Book 1 (Unabridged) by Patrick O'Brian

robert said:
I am about to listen to "Master and Commander: Aubrey/Maturin Series, Book 1' (Unabridged) by Patrick O'Brian.
If you saw the film you are in for a surprise because the film is not even remotely like the book, and don't expect to visit the Galapagos Islands! I love the books and have bought the first seven books in the series. The technical terminology is a bit daunting, but my enjoyment of the books is rarely diminished when I just ignore it.

You may find this URL useful.

CR

jjules300

Pandora is terrible!

i am relatively new to audible.com, but i just love it already!, i have already upgraded to the ultimate listener plan ,as i was finishing my two books only halfway through the month. i have so far listened to Drowning Ruth, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Pandora, almost. Is it me, or is this book literally painful to try to get through??. i have 1 hour left on it, and have already had to put it on the shelf and started another book. i figure i will go back and finish it after Confessions of a Shopaholic, which i am loving thus far. The only other Anne Rice book that ive read has been Interview, and i really loved that, but Pandora just seems to be very long-winded and boring to me. I am kind of in a pickle now. There are alot of her books at audible, but now im a little fearful of another pandora-type book. any suggestions would be great.

BillClinton

Former First Lounger
My number one recommendation would have to be: Life of Pi.
It is one I could not put down. I've greatly enjoyed other books, but I've had to take breaks from the books and stop listening. With Pi, I listened as often as I could.