"Attempting to copy to the disk failed. An unknown error occurred (-69)"

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Ernie 2.0

Hey guys, so here we go with the problem. For the past several months my old ipod 20g 4g monochrome has been out of commission. Fortunately I got a new 5g one so the issue of not having an iPod is resolved. Because I've had a new iPod I've put my old bricked ipod to the side and not worried about it. However, I recently decided to start swimming with a iPod and I would like to use this old one. Originally, the problem with this ipod was it had hard drive clicking and would not update with my iTunes, as well as some of the songs on the ipod would not play through all the way and would be skipped my the iPod. So i smacked the iPod around a few tiems and fixed the clicking noise. So I was able to restore the iPod. However, now when I go to Sync the iPod, I get the error:

"Attempting to copy to the disk failed. An unknown error occurred (-69)"

I have read numerous forum threads regarding the issue, including http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302684 to no avail. It seems that everytime I update the ipod it shows a different song as the corrupt file. So i ran a test: I updated playlists individually to see if I could pinpoint a single file. I had several playlist with songs less then 100 and then one playlist which I use for my iPhone, which contains 714 songs. It is here where the error message appeared again. So I split up the playlist into 7 smaller playlists consisting of 100 songs and the last of 14. I individually uploaded each playlist, deleting all other songs from the iPod so it would only have 100 songs at a time. All playlists checked out fine, no corrupt files or anything. It is not until I tell it to sync multiple playlists that I encounter the error message again.

So my hypthesis is that the iPod HD is janked up and can only take a certain number of songs for some reason. from about 1.5gigs to 2.5gigs is its threshold and then anytime i try to upload any song, I get the error message again. Also all my music works fine with my 5g and my iPhone so its something specific about the iPod rather than the music itself.

I am at a loss here guys, do u have any ideas?

alias275

Omg

Wow, I have surfed google all day, trying to find some one with the same fault.

I am totally having the same issue. The apple site says it's files, it ain't. All my MP3's load perfectly fine on my 6th gen 80gb, and my ipod touch. But i always get to around 260-300 files after I have formatted, restored a billion times, and it always says that error.

Then I tried it with a whole different bunch of MP3's after another restore, and also making sure I am using latest itunes (ver 8) and still same problem.

It's not files, nor the cables (tried using genuine, belkin, i have like 4 cables) to me it's the HDD. It's like it has a corrupted sector and just craps it'self at the same stage, regardless of what MP3 or file i upload to it.

Does someone on this forum have any idea? I am no dummy, this is what I have tried

1. all cables, to eliminate a faulty cable
2. Restored it to latest version, back to old version, formatted the drive, even ran a friggin good old XP repair HDD sectors. Made no diff.
3. have used a different PC, used version 7 and now version 8 itunes.

Any suggestions?

This iPod was purchased to stay in my car, i spent money on getting the iPod cable for my Alpine head unit. now I'm kinda cheesed off, because I just got the iPod how i wanted it (around 18GB of music) it wouldn't sync with itunes one day, wanted to restore, i hacked that, restored it, and since then haven't been able to get more than about 2GB on there)

Please help us

alias275

Sorry

I know this is an old post, and it looks as though no one could help him, but I'm wondering if anyone knows about this problem now. All other posts with the error message (-69), say it's corrupted MP3 files. And it isn't. I have prooven that a billion times. in all ways possible.

Stuey B

I've got the same problem! Really annoying i've had the ipod classic 30gb for ages and recently i decided to transfer all my music to my ext. hd to clear some space and speed up the PC. However, when i attempt to synchronize the ipod it comes up with the (-69) error! i need help. Cheers

puckles

Website
fotolog.net
mine cuts out at different limits. 32 songs one day, 615 another, sometimes zero... almost got my whole 11,144 song library on in my last attempt

S2_Mac

In your case, the -69 error (which always represents "bad file", meaning that some test of the file's integrity failed) p'bly indicates that whacking the drive produced a small head crash leaving a bad spot(s) on the disk; a file can't be written to the damaged spot and you get an error. Maybe using a formatter to "spare out bad blocks" can get around this (followed, of course, by a Restore).

For the other posters, you're looking at file system errors ("bad file" errors pretty much all come from the op system; iTunes is just passing the message along) or malformed files. IIRC, the mp3 standard lets apps encode any way they like; the standard only sets rules for decoding (maybe it's the reverse of that...dunno). A re-downloaded file that doesn't play p'bly indicates encoding tricks that the iPod just can't figure out. Consistent hangs trying to copy files to the iPod usually indicate a file that can't pass a checksum test; sadly, iTunes has never been any good about logging bad files.

And in some cases Windows gets a little too crafty. Check to make sure that the drive is not set for "delayed writes" (IIRC, disable "Enable write caching" via Device Manager -> Disk Drives -> Properties -> Policies); disable auto-defragmenters; disable AV software when writing to the iPod...heck, ethernet cards can screw up Windows when writing to USB devices (dueling bus contention issues). Basic HD maintenance failures can produce -69 errors as well -- bad directory structure, bad entries, etc. Old BIOS can be a culprit, too.

If you've got the disk space (preferably on an internal drive, to avoid USB probs), copying all content files to another location and then using those copies to replace the iTunes files (or, just Consolidate to a new location and then again to the old location) can weed out/pinpoint some bad files.

madmaxmedia

Website
www.madmaxmedia.com
I have the same problem with an old 4G iPod- loading stuff onto it always cuts out at some point. The iPod seems to actually play just fine though. Since this is a backup iPod I don't really care, as long as I can play what I have successfully loaded. I opened it up and tried reseating the HD cable, etc. but doesn't seem to matter.

It would be nice it there was a way to prevent the iPod from accessing the bad sectors (if indeed that is the problem, I imagine so.)

I guess every 6 or 8 months someone else will bump this old thread with the same problem... ;)

Pickle54

iTunes unknown erro69

I've been reading about this unknown erro 69 and found that a lot of you think it's your iPod, well I get the erro also but only when I back-up my music library. I get most of the songs, out of about 700 that I have, they all seem to be on the disc but when I go to restore them back into my library, about 120 of the songs or more won't go back, and that's when the error comes up ( Attempting to copy to the disk OS failed an unknown error occurred (69) ). So if anyone comes up with a solution please let me know!

lgong

I had the same problem. The tech support number told me to delete the last song that it tried to download before the error (-69) appeared because the song is corrupt. I did that multiple times and it would just error out on another song. I decided that many songs couldn't be corrupt. So I put all the songs back in the directory and tried to download them to a friends IPOD and they all downloaded without error. My conclusion is that the hard drive was jacked. And it started happening right after I began using a "no name" car charger. So I got a new ipod.

theipodhelper

A possible solution?!?!?!

Well, I've been searching for ages on a solution to this problem, and I may have a solution

NOTE: This solution was from a different forum discovered by a different perrson, so i did not figure this out on my own!

Anyways, when your songs are syncing, if the loading bar on top of the screen pauses, mash the play/pause button on your ipod until it goes through.

It might work, might not. It worked for me

theipodhelper

OHHHHH and yeah, you might have to continuously mash the play/pause button through the WHOLE sync. So show that iPod whose boss and force it's digital ### to sync! =D

theipodhelper

and if you dont wanna risk the injury of your play/pause button, try just holding that mother down, sometimes tht works

wilks123

did you find a solution?

did you find a solution to this because im having the same problem. i try sync songs accross to my ipod touch useing itunes 9 but we have tryed itunes 8 and its coming up with error messages.

it puts some songs on then it comes up with error message.
ive searched up everything and i dont know what to do now,
can you please help?

Wow, I have surfed google all day, trying to find some one with the same fault.

I am totally having the same issue. The apple site says it's files, it ain't. All my MP3's load perfectly fine on my 6th gen 80gb, and my ipod touch. But i always get to around 260-300 files after I have formatted, restored a billion times, and it always says that error.

Then I tried it with a whole different bunch of MP3's after another restore, and also making sure I am using latest itunes (ver 8) and still same problem.

It's not files, nor the cables (tried using genuine, belkin, i have like 4 cables) to me it's the HDD. It's like it has a corrupted sector and just craps it'self at the same stage, regardless of what MP3 or file i upload to it.

Does someone on this forum have any idea? I am no dummy, this is what I have tried

1. all cables, to eliminate a faulty cable
2. Restored it to latest version, back to old version, formatted the drive, even ran a friggin good old XP repair HDD sectors. Made no diff.
3. have used a different PC, used version 7 and now version 8 itunes.

Any suggestions?

This iPod was purchased to stay in my car, i spent money on getting the iPod cable for my Alpine head unit. now I'm kinda cheesed off, because I just got the iPod how i wanted it (around 18GB of music) it wouldn't sync with itunes one day, wanted to restore, i hacked that, restored it, and since then haven't been able to get more than about 2GB on there)

Please help us

wilks123

did you find a solution to this because im having the same problem. i try sync songs accross to my ipod touch useing itunes 9 but we have tryed itunes 8 and its coming up with error messages.

it puts some songs on then it comes up with error message.
ive searched up everything and i dont know what to do now,
can you please help?

randomcompdood

iTunes copy error (-69)

ABSTRACT: Reply to error -69 SOLVED for those of you using Diskeeper who have not had these problems before.

OHHHHH and yeah, you might have to continuously mash the play/pause button through the WHOLE sync. So show that iPod whose boss and force it's digital ### to sync! =D
Funny, but not the problem.

If you are encountering these problems copying files that you had no problem in the past, your problem is Diskeeper. If you have Diskeeper installed on your computer (which if any IT pro has worked on your computer, they probably installed it for you) simply disable the Diskeeper service (run services.msc and find diskeeper and disable).

I just encountered this problem today when I tried to restore my ipod and copy all my music back over. It would give me an error every 5-150 songs, normally about every 30. I knew my files were good, and the iPod was not that old, so I googled this, and nothing. Then I opened my resource monitor watched my hard disk usage, and which programs were using it. I noticed Diskeeper at #1 and iTunes at #2! So I tried disabling the Diskeeper service, and ending the Dkservice.exe process. After this, I began copying files to my iPod again, and have not seen the error since.

Good luck to ya =D

Technical Data: This assumes you are running the latest version of iTunes with the latest firmware for your iPod on a fully to date Windows operating system, AND use Diskeeper.

ciaranok7

fix

I tired almost all of the solutions for this issue but only one seemed to work. Basically the issue is that your mp3 files have become damaged, this does not mean you cannot play them but does mean itunes doesn't like them. To fix them down load an mp3 repairer, the one I downloaded was called "MP3val". just search for it in google.

Go through your library and repair all the files. Then re run the sync with your ipod, it should work this time

thanks

Bounc6

hey guys I am new here. Error -69 is what brought me here. Has anyone found a solution to this. I dont have diskapeer on my PC and I tried MP3val which fixed some of my MP3 but still itunes wont stop giving me error -69

please help.........how did you solve this for those of you who had this error??...please