Asked to turn off Ipod on airplane..?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

loGan

Ipod therefore I am
This happened to me the other day and I don't mean while taking off. I was on an Alitalia flight and was asked to turn off my Ipod even when at cruising altitude because it has a digital source?

I did argue my case by pointing out that the guy next to me was using a laptop computer but the cabin crew was having none of it and I wasn't going to make a big deal of it.

Has this happened to anyone else?

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
I have used my 'Pod plenty on flights and have never heard that one before. Laptop is ok but an IPod is not?
Doubtful.
Keep it out of plain sight the next time and if you notice the plane flying unsteady or panic setting in among the crew......well then shut it off!!
:D

jogloran

| o o o o |
Well technically speaking you can't turn it off completely without letting the battery drain, or leaving it for a few days :D So next time it happens to you, just sit back and consider it a nose-thumbing at the attendant who told you off. Take that! ;)

alohagirl

Spreadin' Da Aloha!
Hmm, it's neither a receiver or transmitter...

Ignorance or jealousy...You be the judge. :rolleyes:

rice mac

logan,
Alitalia's reasoning seems a bit weak. The laptop has a hard drive as does the iPod, I don't see how one could be deemed worse than the other. I have flown both domestically and internationally a few times since getting my iPod. Besides one experience and the usual take-off and landing bans, I have never had a problem.

Almost three years back when traveling through India, I was on a domestic flight between Bangalore & Delhi. I had to hand over the batteries on my minidisc player and video + still cameras before boarding said flight! Luggage and body searches on multiple occasions were also the norm. At the time there was a lot of tension with Pakistan and security was very high at airports and certain other strategic and popular tourist spots (don't get me started on what it was like in Agra)

It was a simple matter of removing the battery and handing that over, since this was pre-iPod era. If faced with the choice today, I would rather jump of the plane than hand over my iPod.

EsspeN

Lamer
Website
www.espen.se
The rules here on airplaines is that,

when they start up all cellular phones, pc, and minidisc (all electronic stuff) should be turned off if possible.

Same when right before the flight goes down.

(sorry for bad english, im from norway)

Anyways, in mid air, they told me I could use my ipod, but NOT use any LASER products, like cd-player..

On the other hand, there is a cd-player on the pc.
I dunno.

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Why not write to Alitalia and ask for an explanation.
I hope you do, and state you need to know as you travel quite often, and as the battery cannot be removed from the iPod and it is never actually 'off', you do not wish to be placed in an awkward position by cabin crew.
Although they are just doing their job, they may not be aware of how the iPod works.
Cite the instance of a fellow pax using their laptop with no instruction to turn it off.
This has been mentioned before recently, so it really depends on which airline you fly with.
Maybe we should start an Anti-iPod Airline list - don't fly with Numpty Air 'cos they ban iPods!!!

MikeM

Retired
I saw a story recently somewhere, maybe on techtv, that said there have been issues with electronic devices causing problems even while at cruising altitude. On one flight a problem was traced to a man using an electronic dictionary!

So I can understand if an airline asks everyone to turn off all devices. But to single out an iPod over a laptop is ridiculous.

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
Last flight I was on was America West coming back from Vegas. Both my girlfriend and I had our IPods going. I was downloading pics from my digital camera onto a laptop while my girlfriend was reading a book in Microsoft reader format on my Dell Axim.

Somehow we managed to land!

;)

Duggy_d

When flying on Airtours, are told not to use CD Players - only airline I have ever been on that ahs said that.

Quite how a little spinning motor and a laser light inside of a plastic case can affect a plane, I will never know :rolleyes:

Bird

Website
www.thejohnbenders.com
I have had my Ipod mistaken for a cell phone many many times on airplanes. Maybe they thought it was a phone, in which case it would be a problem.

loGan

Ipod therefore I am
It was probably a simple case of misunderstanding and I have used it since on the same Airline without complaint though I'm not quite sure what the guy could have mistaken it for!

Given the way Italian pilots fly anyway I doubt a bit of electrical interference will make any difference.

I only hope that this isn't the beginning of a blanket ban on electronics because that would make my frequent flights a good deal duller than they already are.

brian4610

I just tell them that it's kinetic(sp?)..and that it uses the earths rotation for energy....it's worked twice, but failed 4 times...

mookiemeister

Super Cool Dude
Website
xenon.stanford.edu
EsspeN said:

Anyways, in mid air, they told me I could use my ipod, but NOT use any LASER products, like cd-player..

On the other hand, there is a cd-player on the pc.
I dunno.
No cd player on airplane? Man, I've been violating the rule so many times now. Everytime I go on a flight, I always bring my CD player (this is before I got my iPod). And I've never been asked to turn off my CD player during the flight. Although, I've been asked to turn it off during take-off and landing.

Jackonicko

Retired
Unshielded, untested electrical equipment can cause interference with a huge number of onboard systems. With the increased number of aircraft using all digital electrically actuated primary flight controls, there is an obvious flight safety risk, though such systems should be well shielded against interference.

But passenger operated electronic devices can also interfere with other aircraft systems, including the compass, GPS and inertial based navigation systems, primary and secondary instruments, communications equipment, ILS and autopilot, etc.

There have been far more incidents of interference from laptops and mobile phones causing problems than you would generally realise. If the airlines come to think that passengers will not abide by their regulations about when electronic devices can and cannot be used it will be easier for them to institute a blanket ban.

If we all want to be able to use our iPods in airliners, we must act responsibly, obey the cabin crew, and not be tempted to 'cheat'.

StaticFish

I doubt any equiptment would be able to interfere with ILS localizer or glidepath signals... although I have heard that the only onboard equiptment to fail because of eletrical equipment (primarily phones) is the ADF localizer

God i love being a geek

SunByrne

Podaholoic
StaticFish, yes but in the States, the long-term FAA plan is to go to RNAV approaches and *not* ILS approaches. RNAV, of course, requires good GPS...

God I love being a geek, too! :D