Arstechnica review of iPod Classic: 7/10

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bdb

On the B side of life
Same for the nano. Their score actually dropped a point from the 5.5G based, on the slowness of the UI. They even have some stopwatch timing on certain operations that are about 50% slower. Odd that the iLounge didn't have the sluggishness as a "Con".

The iPod Classic portion starts here: link.

Note the mention of iLounge on page 5!

Last edited:

chronic

the Tv out thing sucks balls, im still glad i bought one as i can have ALL my music with me and loads of films awell, that the main thing.

When the touchscreen has 160Gb and works smooth thats when ill upgrade from the 160gb, you knwo what sucks about the tvout thing most is even people with home movies on theyre ipod cant take them to theyre friends house and play them on the big screen because they dont have an apple "chip".

solving the problem of bootleging isnt going to happen by them restricting us like this, its just gonna make me wanna buy an archos again, that even records movies, and has built in radio, and has 500GB.

Apple, get your #### 2gether, im half tempted to not even open my ipod and return it.

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
They gave them an 8, they just loaded the wrong graphic.

I'm so far happy with mine. All of the things that iLounge didn't like, namely the video out, I don't care about, and Ars' review scares me with lag a little, but hopefully it a) isn't too too bad (if it was, it would have a BAD score, wouldn't it?) and b) it could be fixed in a firmware update, with the UI being lightened up, or made to take advantage of the processor better.

proanim8r

Mildly Annoyed/Amused
They gave them a 7:

"When we reviewed both the iPod nano and the 5.5g iPod, we gave each of them a solid eight. In our opinion, while the new UI is an improvement on the classic iPod UI, the resultant sluggishness is a major downer. Therefore, we're knocking a point off of the scores from the previous-generation devices."

bdb

On the B side of life
Sancroff's right. I read that part wrong. (note: someone fixed the subject line, now it says 7/10)

I agree with what you say, papaya - the deal with the video-out and games only matters to certain people. For those of us replacing pre-5gen iPods, they're completely irrelevant. For us, its probably a tie with 5.5gen - more features, more sluggishness.

Last edited:

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
proanim8r said:
They gave them a 7:

"When we reviewed both the iPod nano and the 5.5g iPod, we gave each of them a solid eight. In our opinion, while the new UI is an improvement on the classic iPod UI, the resultant sluggishness is a major downer. Therefore, we're knocking a point off of the scores from the previous-generation devices."
Wow, I read that part wrong too... Congrats proanim8r! ;)

paranoidxe

I agree with the review for the most part, I think the sluggish UI performance will be fixed with a firmware update..just like the 5G got.

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
paranoidxe said:
I agree with the review for the most part, I think the sluggish UI performance will be fixed with a firmware update..just like the 5G got.
My 5G was never sluggish and I held off on updating the firmware forever cause ppl were saying it gave them problems with their videos. I finally HAD to update due to a corrupt file that messed everything up.