Are you a perfectionist?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Island Roots

I am :)

My whole iTunes library features completely filled out ID3 tags (aside from beats per minute and composer) and album artwork.

Whenever my iPod finally arrives, it'll all pay off ;)

eustacescrubb

Website
www.johnpauldavis.org
I tend to use most of the fields, but I don't include artwork, nor do I include BPM, if for no other reason than I don't feel like counting the BPM of every track in a Library of over 9000 songs!

uniqueseraph

I'm a perfectionist allright. And, it kills because of all the time it takes, though worth it in the end.

SamHain

I have been adding art to my files; I tried some tests on a few files last night. I added a 6MB Bitmap to one of my files so I could see file sizes change more dramatically. The file did indeed jump in size by 6MB. Once I removed the file the file size did go back down. This took a view refresh in finder to see though. I sill almost everything out on the tags. I have only recently (6months ago) gotten my forst Mac and I love it! I'm not too worried about space at the moment since I have a 30GB Ipod.

I just can't wait till I get a new stopwatch so I can do 'beats per min' on each song :D J/K

xandor

All my songs are tagged correctly. The only thing i hate is when the info from CDDB is incorrect, specially the genre. I've created an applescript to change the genre by artist or by genre category. Anyone interested, email me and i'll be glad to send you the script.

Captain Galacto

Definitely worth the time taken to organize, if you're one letter off or even if there's a space after an artist name (!) it'll be a pain when browsing. Genre I'm too lazy to decide wheter I want to go into specific subgenre or just generalize everything...

iCamp

I'm a perfectionist to the point that about 30% of my 6500 files have lyrics embedded in the ID3 tag.

(and no, I didn't manually enter them)

Jester

Website
www.sonicdomain.com
iCamp said:
I'm a perfectionist to the point that about 30% of my 6500 files have lyrics embedded in the ID3 tag.

(and no, I didn't manually enter them)
Searching for lyrics must have been quite a chore. Does it retain the formating when you cut and paste into iTunes?

harry

I'm only a perfectionist to the point where all my tags are correct. The album art seems like it would take up too much space. My only task left is to get rid of the double posting of a couple of artists. Two of artists show up twice on the iPod and only once within iTunes. I haven't found the way to get rid of the second one on the pod. I'm sure there are instructions on how to do this, I just haven't found them yet. ;)

Island Roots

harry said:
I'm only a perfectionist to the point where all my tags are correct. The album art seems like it would take up too much space. My only task left is to get rid of the double posting of a couple of artists. Two of artists show up twice on the iPod and only once within iTunes. I haven't found the way to get rid of the second one on the pod. I'm sure there are instructions on how to do this, I just haven't found them yet. ;)
Make sure you don't have any extra spaces around the artist name or album name ;)

cquiroga

I am kind of a perfectionist, but I'm even more of an idealist-- my ambition is way out there, to the point that I just finished compiling a spreadsheet that has 1092 different artists broken down into 63 different subgenres-- everything from The Beatles, Sonny Rollins, The Church, and Gary Glitter to categories like Power Pop, Post-Punk, Pub Rock, Post-Rock, Underground Rap, and Ambient Electronic. Took awhile to sort it all out (and some genres or artists can get pretty tricky, even though I basically resorted to putting artists together that I would like to listen to together, and following a music history timeline to acknowledge important "genre" movements), but now I can pretty easily throw together long-ace playlists to fit assorted moods, musical time periods, or macro-genres.

Simulate an '80s FM Rock radio station? Throw in Post-Punk, New Wave, Pub Rock, American Underground, and Power Pop. Want a medley of impenetrable background music? Throw in Experimental Rock, Kraut-Rock, Shoegazer Rock, Ambient Electronic, and Post-Rock. Works great so far. I'm still trying to break down some artists and genres (like the "Instrumental Jazz" category-- that has to change, but I've got to think about important movements that will cover everyone), and there's a growing list of "additions," but that's for Draft 2. . .

I'm still in the process of updating all of my tags so that they're properly in order with song titles, albums, year of release, and all of that stuff, but I've got almost all of the genres down pat, so I've got a wonderfully precise soundtrack to my ongoing task of perfecting all of the rest of the tag info!

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
I don't know if I'd say I'm a perfectionist but I do like to have my ID3 tags filled out. Ya know, song title, artist, album (if applicable) track number (track xx of xx) and Genre. Some of my tracks have art embeded, but most don't. What I can't stand is when I download, say, an AC/DC song and some jerk has the Genre set to "Instrumental Pop" or something dumb like that.