Are Beats Tours Really Worth It?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

L33tG4m3r

iPod, therefore I am
I have a friend who works at Best Buy, and we were talking about headphones the other day... Long story short, he got me a pair of Beats Tours with ControlTalk for approx. $75 CDN incl. taxes. (And no, they were not fake, I was with him at the store when he pulled them off the shelf and scanned them through). His employee discount is basically the wholesale price of the product + 5%.

So I got to thinking.. are all headphones ridiculously marked up like this? Or is this just typical Monster price gouging? To put it in perspective, Beats Tours with ControlTalk retail for $199 plus tax here in Canada. I understand that there are economies of scale involved, but I literally saved about $125. Including all taxes I could have bought THREE for the price of one.

Any others have similar experiences with the same (or different) headphones? Basically, I want to know if these headphones worth the $199 asking price. I'm thinking not.

Sparkee

The consensus over at head-fi.org is headphones such as Bose and Beats are way over priced for the sound quality you get. Usually much better sound quality and detail can be had for lower prices than these headphones sell for.

I paid the inflated price for the Bose QC15s mainly for it's sound canceling capabilities. Bose does noise canceling quite well. They do sound OK but nowhere near as good or detailed as my Grados or Sennheiser cans. You are paying more for the name when it come to some brands.

I should mention as well I'm not much for boomy base but opt more for more punchy detailed base and mid range.

iC00kie

NO!!! I have been very disappointed with them. Over priced and poorly designed. I got mine last year for Christmas. The first ones came apart at the the earbud. Getting ready to return the second ones because the right side stopped working. Sound quality not that good for the price either.

alternapop

They are only worth it if style/image is your priority and getting a good value is secondary and sound & build quality is tertiary.

kornchild2002

A good rule of thumb is to avoid anything made by Monster. They are notorious for charging way too much while offering something that is either on-par with other much less expensive products or not every worth its weight in gold. They sell $100, $200, and $300 HDMI cables although you can get the same exact performance and "reliability" out of a $5 cable purchased from somewhere else. A $295 markup doesn't get you anything other than the shiny Monster logo. The same applies for their headphones. The reviews are rather bad especially since all of their models are about 2X more expensive than they should be. Either way, if you want to pay for an image, you should go with Bose as at least their headphones have solid construction and are able to provide pretty good audio quality whereas Monster falls behind in both of those aspects (despite charging just as much or even more than Bose).