AppleScripts for the uninitiated

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

caterinka

I know absolutely nothing about AppleScripts. Where's a good place to begin? Apple's official website info? You guys?

AND...if I want AppleScript info for something other than iTunes, can I still turn to you?

Cate

deeg

hi cate,

i started initially with a book called "applescript in a nutshell" , it guides you through the use of the editor and is packed with examples.. its abit out of date but the basics are there, on apples site .. www.apple.com/applescript you will find example scripts for alot of applications and a pdf of the language guide (its a bit of a stale read and does not have enough examples for me but it covers the syntax very well) plus other links to various web resources..including the Applescript users mail list
Another good book is "applescript for applications" and the head apple honcho (Sal someone or other) has a book out later this year which will hopefully be upto date and cover X in more detail..

not sure if its good form or not to suggest another board, but Apples own problem boards have a dedicated applescript section where you can get answers to most problems..

tweeking existing scripts via the script editor located in applications/applescript is a good method of learning, most of mine of doug's site are commented so you can see what each part is doing and so are the others that i have looked at..

as to general script questions, yes i am happy to answer any querries you have if possible but its perhaps better to cover this via pm's rather than post non-itunes related questions here.

deeg

Last edited:
Website
dougscripts.com
If you want to see some iTunes scripts listings, have a look at my Pick 'n' Pull pages. From there, have a look at the Basic articles at the Tips and Info section.

The best way to learn scripting is to open some up in Script Editor and see what makes 'em go. I also make a recommendation in this thread.

Regarding other AppleScripting questions, I'm sure everyone would be delighted to spill what they know on any related subject. Perhaps if it is slightly more off topic, a PM would do.

UPDATE Just saw deeg's post and agree the Nutshell book is good and the AppleScript Language Guide PDF is also good ref. I learned from a now out of print "Tao of AppleScript". It's not bad, and has a good glossary, and I'd buy it used just for that if I could find it for a few bucks. (It's actually one of the few scripting books I have that discusses opening, reading and writing files. Nutshell barely mentions file access.) ALSO, Sal Soghoian, Apple's AppleScript product manager, has written AppleScript 1-2-3 which I believe is due out in the next month or so (see Amazon). If it's anything like his December 2002 MacWorld article, it'll be super.

Last edited:

eustacescrubb

Website
www.johnpauldavis.org
I'll third the Nutshell book. I bought it when I was starting out as well, and as with all O'Rielly books, it's great as a reference guide. It's oriented toward OS 9 though, with a small OS X section.