Apple's Quality/Reliability/Workmanship flat out sucks.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Status
Not open for further replies.

torchedlh

I have definetely been dissapointed with my iPod. Currently, I'm on my 3rd remote and 2nd ipod which has dozens of dead pixels on the left border of the screen. i think this is totally unacceptable for something that i spent $400 on. although replacement of the unit and accesories are VERY fast (2-3 days), i've had to get things replaced 3 times now. and i've only had my ipod since mid July. Tha'ts only about 8 months. I have never spent so much money on one item, and yet i've never had so many problems with 1 item.

also, battery life being 8 hours? right... i barely get 6 hours out of a full charge. i listen to my ipod about 1:30 each day, and only get about 3-4 days time before a charge is needed.

anyone else agree with me when i say apple's workmanship is not up to par? i mean c'mon, i always bash Apple as a platform (i'm PC user), but i'd never thought i'd be bashing their quality and workmanship. however, i still feel the ipod is a superior product due to it's convience and features, but it is defintely lacking in many areas.

Last edited:

mwidjaya

"i barely get 6 hours...1:30 each day...3-4 days before charging"

If you can say the same thing about a mobile phone, you would probably say wow, great battery life. There is such a thing as standby power consumption. Even when ipod is idle/off, it needs to power the buttons to detect when you want to start using it.

Please...

iPotm

Mesmerized
Website
www.memphis-studios.com

I have definetely been dissapointed with my iPod. Currently, I'm on my 3rd remote and 2nd ipod which has dozens of dead pixels on the left border of the screen.

before I ordered iPod, I have had minidisc for five years-- in these past years, I've bought two players. The screens of the players were smashed I believe hardly 5 months after acquisition. Call me careless but these aren't exactly toys that you can toss around with-- you need to handle them with care. The reason the screens broke was simply cos I carried a spare battery in my pocket when I was tossed against a wall when the bus made a wide turn.

i think this is totally unacceptable for something that i spent $400 on.

on a sidenote, I spent 700 USD combined on both players. They still do their job perfectly, but I have to do it blind.

although replacement of the unit and accesories are VERY fast (2-3 days), i've had to get things replaced 3 times now. and i've only had my ipod since mid July. Tha'ts only about 8 months. I have never spent so much money on one item, and yet i've never had so many problems with 1 item.

That's a) due to your lifestyle, and b) exactly the same with vintage cars only ^times infinite minus one.

also, battery life being 8 hours? right... i barely get 6 hours out of a full charge. i listen to my ipod about 1:30 each day, and only get about 3-4 days time before a charge is needed.

maybe you goofed up with recharging in the beginning.. maybe youre discharging entirely before recharging which is worse for a batty than charging every time bit by bit.

anyone else agree with me when i say apple's workmanship is not up to par? i mean c'mon, i always bash Apple as a platform (i'm PC user), but i'd never thought i'd be bashing their quality and workmanship. however, i still feel the ipod is a superior product due to it's convience and features, but it is defintely lacking in many areas.

In Your Opinion. Because y'see, if this were actually true on a global scale, Apple wouldn't be a bleeding top-seller.

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
"Bleeding" top-sellers don't have <25% of the market, you have you wires crossed. I think you may be confused with "bleeding" advertiser, or "bleeding" community.

robcharlus

As bad as your experiences have been, it could have been worse if you had bought from a different player. In the US, Apple has a one year warranty while its competitors have 90 day warranties. And at least two of competitors have had a lot of failures (Creative Labs' headphone jack problem and the Rio Karma's hard drive failure). If that happened here after 90 days, you would be out of luck. There are third party warranties available, and even those people who buy from these companies and are happy with their products would suggest that you get one.

torchedlh

iPotm said:
OK if you want to play it technical, it is one of the more popular MP3 players in the world, and not because they happen to suck so much. My point remains.
did you even read my post? i'm not saying the ipod isnt' the best mp3 player around, because it is, but the workmanship by apple is VERY poor.

MikeM

Administrator
torchedlh said:
did you even read my post? i'm not saying the ipod isnt' the best mp3 player around, because it is, but the workmanship by apple is VERY poor.
Didn't you read the other posts? The part you quoted was in response to a post other than yours.

My iPod is over 1.5 years old and has never given me trouble. I've had a powermac at home for almost 5 years now with no troubles. I would say that your perception isn't necessarily the norm for Apple products.

Battery life on the other hand is junk. I would never buy a 3G iPod for that very reason.

DXiRoNMaN

the 15gb ipod is the first apple product i've ever used and its worked great. i've heard horror stories about ipod problems but every company is like that. people will get a bad unit but whats important is how the company deals with it.

torchedlh

DXiRoNMaN said:
the 15gb ipod is the first apple product i've ever used and its worked great. i've heard horror stories about ipod problems but every company is like that. people will get a bad unit but whats important is how the company deals with it.
not one bad unit, but two bad units. not one bad remote, but two bad remotes....pathetic.

psudoc64

While fairly new to the iPod (approx 2 weeks), I'm a long time user of other handheld devices, both Palm and PocketPC's. I've seen the same type of thing happen - inconsistent quality being the key. What I've seen is a few people have problems and those get posted. A much larger number don't have problems and usually fall into the "silent majority".

All I can say is so far, my iPod has been great.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
I've had my 1st Gen 10gig since the day they were released. No problems here. Sounds like you got 2 lemons, go get an iHP-120 and make Adam happy....

tombo77

Its all about battery life in a portable unit......Yes the Iriver smokes the Ipod on that and many other fronts.

The only thing Ipod has left is the "club atmosphere" of ownership. That will wear thin as their market share And it will. Its the sad history of Apple......leaders then followers.

The only thing keeping Apple alive are the users who cannot admit they made a mistake! And keep payin and payin and payin fior it!

Many will switch to IRiver...many less will switch TO Ipod. Bet on it

-Former Ipod Owner, now IHP120.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
tombo77 said:
Its all about battery life in a portable unit......Yes the Iriver smokes the Ipod on that and many other fronts.

The only thing Ipod has left is the "club atmosphere" of ownership. That will wear thin as their market share And it will. Its the sad history of Apple......leaders then followers.

The only thing keeping Apple alive are the users who cannot admit they made a mistake! And keep payin and payin and payin fior it!

Many will switch to IRiver...many less will switch TO Ipod. Bet on it

-Former Ipod Owner, now IHP120.
Well, I have heard the iRiver smokes, but won't go into WHAT or WHO (WHOM?) it smokes in this forum. Yes yes yes, all of we Apple customers have made a HUGE mistake and now feel SO stupid. Thank you "tombo 77" for pulling the wool from in front of our eyes and showing us the true path.:rolleyes:

10 Hours on my battery still seems like enough to me.....

I don't consider it a "club atmosphere", it's more like a "Cult Atmosphere" with the cherry cool-aid to come later when we all realize how STUPID we were for buying iPods, oh wait that's now..Reverend Jones, some cool-aid please! I will admit, I do like the Nike's we get to wear though!:p

Oh, and it's spelled "iPod" not "IPod". I'm sure you probably came here and read through the forum a bit, maybe even read the title of the page, but probably missed that little tidbit. Then again if you had EVER owned an iPod, you might know that....

Many MORE will stay with the iPod, many more will continue to buy the iPod, and the iRiver / iHP will remain just what they are today, bit players.

I WILL "bet on it" thank you.:)

Last edited:

kebkebeh

Website
www.keyvanfatehi.com
tombo77 was just 'smoked' by baggss. :)
I like my iPod. My friend has the iRiver, and i found the firmware to be a bit buggy/laggy and it just didn't 'feel' as good as my iPod does. This guy probably just moved to his iriver and is unhappy with the firmware, so he comes to make us 'feel bad' about our ipod, which in turn justifies his own purchase. I dont know if thats the story, i onyl read like the last 2 posts. :p

tombo77

No thats not the story. I had an IPod or iPod (I guess that looks cooler) I had a cradle, dock, crapload of wires and a battery pack. All replaced by the iRive r all of which it needs is a couple of USB cables to charge the 14 hour (real) battery and transfer files at the same time.

The remote is what the iPod's SHOULD have been, The onboard MP3 decoder in a pinch optically even is what the iPod should have been.
Add to that a transparent interface to any PC anywhere without special software and you have a really nice unit.

I actually only saw the Iriver when I was researching the purchase of a smallflash player becasue the iPod was to cumbersome to travel with all the crap. I stumbled on the HP 120 and I was sold. I had nly wished I did not jump into the iPod without first having a look around at other offerings becasue everyone said it was the best. Even sales people at Best Buy. The iPod had it's own end cap while others were relagated to small glass enclosures beneath pegged flash players.

I went with the flow and made a mistake. But at least it was an easy sell! I did not tell the buyer of the iRiver tough. I feel kinda guilty about that. But she wanted the iPod becasue "it was pretty" and easy to learn. Kinda like the Macintosh....

dekkerd

84 hours a week
Back on topic...sounds like you've had bad luck. Sorry it happened to you. As you can see from the responses actually addressed to your post, it is not the norm. Complain, loudly & longly, preferably in writing. Perhaps a bad lot? That WILL happen with any mass produced electronic item.
What matters from my humble perspective, is the QA follow-up. Quick replacement? check. Compensation for time/trouble(free case or something)? Did they enter the defective units into a process designed to track down the faulty lot? Maybe Hong over on assembly line B is going thru a divorce or something...

Back off topic. The Hummer H1 is designed to run both on & off road. Plenty of room inside for any toys you want installed, general stuff, or passengers. The sound system rocks. So, screw all of you that buy Jag & BMW's for driving, the Hummer is superior.
Sound a bit assinine? That's what I think when people proclaim the godliness of the iriver or the ipod. What ever works for you, fine. Just don't #### & moan 'cus I chose something else.

robcharlus

I strongly agree that what the company does about a defective product is more important than the defect itself. The iPod's warranty is longer than the standard 90 day warranty for its competitors. And I sent a player back to Creative Labs that was under warranty, only to have the company refuse to fix it because it claimed I caused the problem. While I do see complaints about Apple's service, they are mostly about time needed to get a unit repaired or replaced. Compared to its competitors, Apple seems superior.

Of course, I'm sure that some percentage of the iPods are defective. I would not be happy if I were one of the people who had the misfortune to buy one of those. But having gone through the problem of a company not standing behind its product, I will settle for a company that tries to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.