• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

    New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

    This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

    Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

    Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Apple's Leopard delayed to October, iPhone blamed

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Joined
Mar 16, 2004
Messages
17,747
Points
36
Location
New York
I was waiting to upgrade my Mac until Leopard was out but I guess I won't wait any longer. Now to decide between the Mac Mini or the Macbook.
 

mizzle

New member
Joined
Apr 14, 2006
Messages
484
Points
0
Age
35
Location
North Carolina
i feel the same way honeybee...i'm going macbook!

apple website says october
and i found leopards theme on digg...its the itunes 7 theme and its not impressive
 

Bonk

New member
Joined
Oct 6, 2005
Messages
342
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Chicago
I guess I'll just buy a Macbook and hope to get a copy of Leopard for my birthday in October.
 

kyussmondo

New member
Joined
Sep 30, 2003
Messages
866
Points
0
Location
Ipswich, UK
honeybee1236 said:
I was waiting to upgrade my Mac until Leopard was out but I guess I won't wait any longer. Now to decide between the Mac Mini or the Macbook.
I would go for the MacBook. Fantastic machine.

Tiger is great anyway, I don't think Leopard will have much of an improvement over Tiger and will probably be a bit buggy in the first couple of months.
 

sushipixel

New member
Joined
Oct 21, 2006
Messages
9
Points
0
Really, i was planning on getting either mac min or macbook. Since i heard leopard was coming in august i was planning on holding awhile to get one. What do you people think hold out for leopard or just buy a mac now?
 

frisk291

New member
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
278
Points
0
Sushipixel, I'm in the same boat as you. My parents told me I could get a new laptop this summer before I go back to college and I was hoping to get a macbook with leopard already on it. Seeing as leopard's delayed until October this obviously isn't going to happen. So my question is what's the chance that:

a. leopard will ship in October but it will be buggy
b. leopard will be delayed much further than october
c. there will be no problems with the OS or the ship date

This will be my first mac so I'm somewhat unfamiliar with previous Mac OS releases. If there's a good chance that it will be better to wait for leopard's bugs to be worked out or that it will ship much later than October then I might as well just get the macbook early in the summer and capitalize on the nano mail in rebate thing if apple decides to do it again. Or I could just wait until October and hope for the best.
 

S2_Mac

New member
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
4,878
Points
0
Location
About 3 feet in front of the monitor
Subpixel: What do you people think hold out for leopard or just buy a mac now?

Depends on who you are, I think. "Consumers" won't be put off too much (students, surfers, Joe Sixpacks, etc.) "Prosumers" and straight-up Pros may well feel a need to wait. For instance, I consult for print shops. Printers are incredibly conservative with hardware, e.g. if it works, there's absolutely no need to change. This means that purchases are planned out well in advance.

Now, from what I've seen of it (nothing covered by NDAs, all stuff from dev mailing lists, etc.), Leopard is a giant step forward, internally. The addition of "garbage collection" in the dev framework is huge, and the new APIs are more than just incremental advances on existing APIs. I see more and more devs saying that once Leopard is solid, they're going to stop producing updates for older systems. I certainly expect Quaark to follow this path (given the requirements for QXP7), and I figure Adobe might follow suit to stay competitive. IOW, I think Leopard is going to be a must-have within a year of its release.

So when this delay comes along, it really throws me for a curve -- a budget is ready for June release, including 4 towers, 2 minis, 2 iMacs, and maybe a laptop or two. I am not going to fully load software onto new Tiger machines only to have to do it all over again with Leopard...a typical apps folder for me is >12GB, around 100 apps. Each machine needs color profiling, font organization, etc., and Migration Asst doesn't really help get it all done.

Not to mention the extra expense of replacing Tiger with Leopard! I would still go ahead and buy in June if Apple would let us know that, say, post-June purchasers got a free Leopard upgrade.

I really feel for my friends in higher ed...their budget year starts in June, and their PHBs are already telling them that money will be much tighter come late fall (not to mention that the time to install new hardware is in the summer, when very few students will be inconvenienced).

I don't like thinking this way, but I'm starting to fear that the iPhone is going to be another Newton (too much machine) or Cube (too much price), and that the tremendous resources going into it will be squandered. ::sigh::

FRISK291 --
1) Yes, it will have bugs...but it p'bly won't be seen as "buggy" -- network protocols will be twitchy, VNC clients will fail, and there will be several quirks thrown at high-end apps. Maybea few late bugs in the development tools/environment, and one or two bad kexts. But, 8 or 9 out of 10 wil be happy by 10.5.1
2) It'll ship in October....maybe with more bugs ;-)
3) There will never be no problems with an OS; there has never not been a problem with a ship date (<g>), but Apple's pride is on the line; I think it's gonna ship no matter what shape it's in.


S2
 

sushipixel

New member
Joined
Oct 21, 2006
Messages
9
Points
0
frisk291 said:
Sushipixel, I'm in the same boat as you. My parents told me I could get a new laptop this summer before I go back to college and I was hoping to get a macbook with leopard already on it. Seeing as leopard's delayed until October this obviously isn't going to happen. So my question is what's the chance that:

a. leopard will ship in October but it will be buggy
b. leopard will be delayed much further than october
c. there will be no problems with the OS or the ship date

This will be my first mac so I'm somewhat unfamiliar with previous Mac OS releases. If there's a good chance that it will be better to wait for leopard's bugs to be worked out or that it will ship much later than October then I might as well just get the macbook early in the summer and capitalize on the nano mail in rebate thing if apple decides to do it again. Or I could just wait until October and hope for the best.
Exactly my parents said i could get one, and it will also be my first for my own use, but i have used them before. Exactly i was thinking of waiting,, but then what if leopard is buggy and has a bunch of issues that are going to take time to fix, and i need the computer for school so i dont want to be fiddling with my computer when i need it to type essays.
 

CraigNB

New member
Joined
Oct 14, 2005
Messages
487
Points
0
Age
33
Location
Boston, MA
Website
www.nbrock.net
Dear Sushipixel and Frisk291

just get a mac now, tiger is an AMAZING OS and if you feel the need to upgrade to leopard it wont be THAT expensive, October is a LONG time away so I wouldn't wait, I had a iMac G4 and wanted to upgrade to the Intel iMac and i figured I'd wait until the end of March when they said Leopard was coming out but it didnt so I bought my Intel iMac then (2 months ago?) and im completley happy with it so dont wait, just go get it be happy for the next 6 months - throughout those 6 months save like 10 bucks a week and when Leopard comes out youll be set

good luck!!
 

xboxman

Expelliarmus!
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
402
Points
0
Location
Platform 9 3/4 London
Damn, I also hoped to get my new Mac with Leopard...what will it cost to buy? I doubt I can be bothered to wait, il be back from the US by then and will have to pay an extra £500/$950+ on the equivalent machine here :(
 
Top