• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Apple's iTunes Now Third-Largest Music Retailer in U.S.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
From HERE:

Apple's iTunes Now Third-Largest Music Retailer in U.S.

Friday, June 22, 2007

NEW YORK — Apple Inc.'s (AAPL) digital music store iTunes is now the third-largest music retailer in the United States with 10 percent market share, overtaking Amazon.com (AMZN) in the first quarter, according to a survey released Friday.

The NPD Group report highlights the growing strength of digital music in the U.S. market as physical sales of compact discs continue to slide.

Apple's iTunes is third behind market leader Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) with a 15.8 percent share, and Best Buy Co Inc. (BBY) with a 13.8 percent share, according to the survey of 40,000 people aged 13 and older.

Both of those retailers mostly sell music in the CD format. Online store bestbuy.com has a 1.1 percent market share with sales of both CDs and digital music..

Amazon.com Inc. dropped to fourth with a 6.7 percent share. Its sales increased but not as fast as rivals.

Amazon also sells music mainly in the CD format, but last month it started selling digital music but without copy protection software such as that used by iTunes.

NPD said the iTunes digital music store had benefited from sales of Apple's iPod digital music player during the holiday season. The vast majority of digital songs and albums bought on iTunes will only play on iPods, as well as the iTunes PC application.

iTunes last month rolled out a new service called iTunes Plus which sells higher quality digital songs without copy protection at a premium price.

NPD analyst Russ Crupnick said that iTunes had also benefited from the slowdown in CD sales, the dominant format for recorded music sales.

According to sales data from Nielsen SoundScan, first quarter sales of music CDs were down by more than 20 percent year-on-year, a trend analysts don't expect to change.

"With only a couple of weeks remaining in the second quarter, industry CD sales have shown only marginal improvement over first quarter levels," said Richard Greenfield, analyst at Pali Capital in a note to clients on Thursday.

Though Wal-Mart is the top U.S. music retailer, it carries a relatively narrow selection of CDs. Some analysts believe its rivals are likely to consider a similar strategy.

"Anecdotally we're hearing they're beginning to think about cutting back on retail space for physical (music)," said Crupnick. "But in the near term retailers like Wal-Mart and Best Buy are going to continue to be powerhouses."

bdb

On the B side of life
Hmm, I never knew market share was determined by surveys, not actual sales. Seems like the accuracy really depends on how the question is asked.

mrdantownsend

mrdantownsend
Website
www.freewebs.com
/\ you mean DRM eric?

either way, I am not surprised. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if it was first, because all of my yuppie friends who buy music usually buy it from iTunes

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
kylo4 said:
It's a "survey" because its Fox. I don't believe anything they say.
I was waiting for some idiot to make a comment like that. We all know know how "pro" Apple Fox is...:rolleyes:

kylo4

I'm an idiot eh? Thanks for calling a person who stated their own opinion, didn't speak for anybody else, an idiot. Nice to be around members like that.

Fox actually makes up news stories and surveys. Sorry, I get my news from CNN.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Ah yes, the old "Fox Conspiracy" theory....

I'm sorry that you get your "news" from CNN too...

Since you don't "believe" Fox, here is the same story on Reuters.

Or do they make sh/t up too?

Last edited: