Apple TV - The Future of TV

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

SicMX

When Apple TV came out i still hated the fact that all the content viewable on Apple TV had to be in iTunes, but boy was I wrong =)

I'm really starting to like movies in iTunes. This is mainly cause you can organise everything so well. Plus is looks oh so good compared to having movies in folders.

This is what I did:

Advantages of having movies in iTunes instead of various folders as I used to:

1. Way more organised (descriptions, actors, directors, length)
2. Actually streams a lot better to my MacBook. Video is not jumpy anymore.
3. Have to use .mp4 (i use H.264). One of the best codecs out there.
4. Assuming one has converted the videos within what the iPod is capable of all videos will also work on Video iPod.
5. Ratings! It's awesome to be able to rate e.g. all Simpsons episodes so that you know which are the good ones.
6. Looks very nice if you download the DVD covers from somewhere.
7. Works with ?TV

This is the future. I'm still gonna buy the DVDs for some time but I'll import them straight into iTunes with Handbrake. Cause what is better than having all your movies at the click of a button =)

All my DVDs that i have imported into iTunes are really really good quality (640x480 - 2000kbps -> 3000kbps) and won't play on the current iPod but will surely play with ?TV

I really wish iTunes supported multiple library locations. Currently i use 3 different library's

Anyone else creating their own movie library's in iTunes from their DVDs?

DarkenVampirE

this is a real good ideas i think i will rip my dvds and put em on itunes...i got some of ur horror movies in the pictues they are awesome !! i will post a pic later when i rip my dvds
steven,

Glorybox3737

Most Awesome Lounger
I plan on doing the same exact thing as soon as I get an external HD. I'm having problem finding a program that will put my movies in 640x480 (Windows). I do have a few music related videos (live concerts and music vids) encoded for my iPod (cause I'd never really watch those on a large TV... they are just novelty videos). I can't wait to get my whole DVD collection on my computer and be able to stream them over to my tv. So much easier than shifting through a pile of DVDs. It really is the future. Music went digital a long time ago... it's about time that videos caught up as well :)

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
I have a 2Tb hard drive at home that I have connected to a Mac Mini "home entertainment" unit for this very purpose.

Thus far I've been spending more time ripping DVD TV show box sets, however. I'm not entirely sure if I want to start ripping actual DVD movies until Apple improves the video and audio quality of the current codec. At this point, 640x480 and AAC 2-channel sound isn't enough for most DVDs, and would therefore be a waste of time, since I'm sure that a higher-quality codec is just around the corner, especially with the Apple TV supporting 720p.

For most TV shows it doesn't particularly matter, however, since even those DVD sets that provide 5.1 channel sound are usually just re-mixed from Dolby Pro-Logic into discrete channels.

SicMX

You are very right there. So the mp4 container doesn't support 5.1 audio? Hopefully Apple will have a solution to this soon.

I don't have a surround sound system yet, but might have it in the future, so maybe i'll wait for a few months with the ripping of actual movies (so far ripped about 10 just to experiment)

I'll start ripping more TV shows though, cause most of them don't have active surround sound and I can still get DVD quality video into iTunes.

PS. Video is hopefully going to take off now that Apple are getting into the Movie business with Apple TV and more studios, because Movies is way more complex than Music