Apple TV sync issue

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jbgbjb

Hi

I have two Apple TV's which i have been using with a Sony Vaio and everything has been working perfect.

I since upgraded to an Mac pro latop and for some reason it will not sync with my Apple TV's. They are seeing each other and both the Apple TV and Mac have internet connection but it just wont sync, i can see the apple TV in my Itunes on the left but nothing is happening! its just a grey symbol and generally there is a whirly thing showing it is syncing

I have tried resetting the Apple TV but it will still not sync, it used to be so easy just like an Ipod and now I have gone all Apple I assumed it would work jsut as easy.

Can anyone help me out, It is getting extremely frustrating especially when I had never had any issues before syncing Itunes date

I have also had a tech look at it and he cannot yet find out why this is happening

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sparkee

Did you se t the ATV to Sync or Stream to the new computer? An ATV can only sync with one computer so if you added a "Shared iTunes Library" by the ATVs Settings menu it will not sync.

jbgbjb

Did you se t the ATV to Sync or Stream to the new computer? An ATV can only sync with one computer so if you added a "Shared iTunes Library" by the ATVs Settings menu it will not sync.
Thanks heaps Sparkey, i got it going!

One more thing you might be able to answer please, I have bought ISkysoft DVD Ripper and am putting all my music DVD's onto Itunes/Apple TV. So far it has all worked pretty good except i have now come accross some issues.
The movies I have ripped show on the ATV in the movies library but when i drop them into a playlist on Itunes they play fine on the computer but dont sync to my ATV on the same playlist, all music i have bought sync fine on these playlists. Its wierd though because the ATV is picking them up as they play in My movies but not on the playlist.

The other issue is when i play these ripped DVD songs on Itunes on my laptop the songs start from where i finished listening to last time, so if I am playing a song then stop it and go do something else and when i go back to the song it doesnt start from the start it starts from where i left of.

Again i would appreciatte any help

Thanks

Last edited:

Sparkee

Are these videos still set as "Movies" or are you setting them as "Music Videos" in iTunes?

If they are still set to Movies you will need to enable the Playlists in the Settings/Audio & Video and set Show Playlists to "All". Playlists will now appear in the Movies (and other sections) as long as you are sorting them by Movie or by Genre. The playlist menu will not appear when set to Unwatched.

Or in iTunes you could set all your videos to "Music Videos" which will make them appear in the My Music/Music Videos section. Then the Playlists should show up in the My Music/Playlists menu. To change videos right click the video in iTunes, select the Options tab and change Media Kind to "Music Video". You should also enter the proper info in the "Info" tab for at least the Artist, Album, Genre and Name fields so they sort properly.

The other issue is when i play these ripped DVD songs on Itunes on my laptop the songs start from where i finished listening to last time, so if I am playing a song then stop it and go do something else and when i go back to the song it doesnt start from the start it starts from where i left of.
If I would have read this far before answering you first question I would have known you have the videos set to Movies. ;) There is nothing wrong with leaving them set as Movies, setting them as Music Videos as mentioned above will move them from iTunes Movie section to the Music section of iTunes Library. By default Movies are set to remember playback position. To change this behavior right click the video in iTunes, select Get Info and in the Options tab remove the check for "Remember Playback Position". You may also want to change the "Skip when shuffling" option here as well so you can shuffle the music videos.

You can mass edit most of these option by selecting multiple files in iTunes then right clicking on one. The options may look a little different but should be easy enough to figure out. Any changes would then be made to all files.

Let us know how you make out.

jbgbjb

Sparkee you are amazing!

I have been talking to Apple service and all sorts of people and no one could tell me what i was doing wrong. You have saved me a lot of headaches and in the end it was something so simple.

Thanks so much for you help mate, I really appreciate it

You are the Itunes guru

I just hope you dont leave this forum:)

Sparkee

Appreciate the good words. The only way I would leave these forums is if a better media player/management system came along. Right now, in my opinion, iTunes is still the best media manager to cross sync between multiple media devices. They may not work well sometimes but do what you want most of the time. It can get frustrating trying to figure some of this out configuring your file but is worth it once you get things set up properly.