Apple TV complaint...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

antiochsteve

My only complaint with the Apple TV device is that I wish it would act as like a manually managed iPod device rather than forcing users to either auto sync or custom sync the device. If you stop synchronizing the unit it wipes out your content. I really wish Apple would just allow the device to behave like iPods do within iTunes.

That is unless someone knows a hack...

I currently have all my content ON the AppleTV device, but if I wipe it off my PC or rather my iTunes library, it'll synchronize with the Apple TV and delete all my content. THIS IS A FLAWED DESIGN in my opinion.

Am I wrong?

Sparkee

THIS IS A FLAWED DESIGN in my opinion.
Unfortunately the main reason Apple does this is to keep the content providers happy. The record and movie industries seem to consider there customers as criminals who will steal their content before buying it. These "restrictions" are usually put in place by Apple so the content providers will allow them to sell their content in iTunes Store.

iPods and the ATV are meant to be an extension of your iTunes media library, not a stand alone device. Even though an iPod can do it it is not a good it is not recommended at least not with out some other type of back up of your library. The ATV as well as any iPod is usually not the best place to keep your only copy of your media. As well made as they are, it is pretty easy for them to crash or become corrupted which can only be fixed by Restoring it using iTunes which erases all the content off it. It is also a lot harder to recover your content back off the ATV than it is an iPod if you need to.

antiochsteve

I wish someone would write a hack to FIX this...

:) I mean if we're sinking upwards of $300.00 for a device, why not let us store our content on it... Otherwise really, what's the point of buying the big drive for the unit when all we're doing is placing data in redundant locations...

However, I DO thank you for your response, what you write DOES make sense, albeit I don't agree with Apple's practices here. :)

spot1701

Rock 'n' Roll Doggie
Website
www.rfrogs.co.uk
Search for ATV Flash.

But the thinking is that you aren't going to be in constant sync with your computer. i.e. you copy what you want to you ATV, then you can turn your computer off.

If you haven't got a central repository for you media, then it sounds like you would of been off with a MacMini.

Sparkee

albeit I don't agree with Apple's practices here. :)
Apple, or more likely Steve Jobs can get pretty stubborn on how they do some things. They figure they know more what the consumer wants more than the consumer.

You may want to look around the forums mentioned at Apple TV Hacks and Awkward TV, you may find a hack there to do want you want.

hashmash

they should just stick to phones and music players, thats my advice :p

oboewan

hashmash said:
And computers...

Speaking of which, I'd buy a Mac Mini before I buy an Apple TV. Twice the price, but N times the usefulness (where N is infinity times 2.)

Sparkee

The Apple TV is basically an iPod with no screen you connect to your TV extending your iTunes media to your home theater.

I'd buy a Mac Mini before I buy an Apple TV.
I've thought of this many times however I would need the ability to sync iTunes between two computers since my main system is a MacBook Pro and I travel often. What Apple needs to do is create a way to sync iTunes on different computers like an iPod such as a laptop with a central computer, maybe a mini, as the central library. All other methods I found were either too complex or didn't properly sync playcounts which are needed to manage large TV Show collections.

I considered the Mac mini however ended up getting a second ATV for a second TV. I need playcounts to sync between the 2 ATVs as well as 3 iPods for my set up to work. Adding another computer breaks the workflow.