Apple Offers $50 Credit For iPod Batteries (1st-3rd Gen.)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kokketiel

danbanger said:
When I say 4-5 hours it is because I am not able to check my iPod every 5 minutes while doing the test so it is an estimate. It is however, on the lower end of 4-5 hours (4 hours and 20minutes?), needless to say that is unacceptable.
You don't need to check your iPod every 5 minutes or even at all. Simply note the start time and play it overnight. Next morning, sync your iPod with iTunes and check your Recently Played playlist on iTunes - it will note the last time that a song was played, so you'll have your exact battery playback time.

I am not arguing that 4h20min is acceptable or unacceptable - but how we "feel" about that has nothing to do with the terms of the settlement. You still don't qualify if you get 4h1min. You are free to opt-out of the settlement and go after Apple by yourself, or try to get another class-action suit going.

The reality is that current consumer battery technology has a finite charge/discharge lifetime. The better way to handle this (and probably would have saved Apple millions), is to make the battery user replaceable and sell new batteries for a reasonable price.

danbanger

Alright, I wont argue with that either. By the time its Sept. 30th (the deadline) I'm pretty sure my iPod will be under 4 hours anyway. BTW I didn't think of checking the "last played" in itunes, thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

kokketiel

I was pleasantly surprised by the results of my own test - doing exactly as the settlement instructions suggested (repeating one album), I got about 7.5h out of my 18 month old 40GB 3G iPod. I was concerned that it wasn't a "real world " test and started anpther test where I started playing all of my songs in order. That ran for about 6.5h, which is still acceptable to me.

For the last year or so, i use my iPod almost daily at work, depending on what I do. Sometimes I will listen for 4 or 5 hours continuously, and other days I will play one or two songs. I almost always play the iPod until it switches off before fully recharging it. I mostly charge via FireWire overnight, but sometimes I will charge with the wall-charger. I almost never interrupt a charge.

I've been doing this will all my rechargable gadgets over the years, from habit when NiCads showed the memory effect when recharged from a not-empty state. Li-Ion ond Li-Poly batteries are not supposed to show the memory effect, but my personal experience has been that the batteries last longer if you only recharge them when they're empty, and leave them on the charger overnight. My cell-phone's battery (older Nokia) has been going strong for almost three years, and is still subjectively as good as new.

Maybe others can post their results of their properly performed test? iPod generation, age of iPod, and battery life.

gabepride

danbanger said:
Okay I got my 3g iPod 3/05 from best buy with the Product Replacement Plan for 2 years (not PSP). I just tested my battery today and it lasted about 4-5 hours.

I think I may try to get a battery replacement now and save my PRP for later on, what do you guys think? And in less than 2 months I will be going on a trip where I don't want to be without my iPod if that helps. I don't really know how the process of them replacing the battery/unit will go so thats why I'm wondernig.

BTW: the store credit will last for 18 months (says on the paper)
The problem with this idea is that if Apple replaces your iPod, then your serial number will not match your Best Buy receipt. So if you try to return an iPod at Best Buy different than the one you bought there, they will think you're scamming them, and they will not honor the return. Trying this could potentially get you banned from Best Buy, as well. I recommend replacing the iPod through Best Buy's PRP, ignoring the battery replacement through Apple.

Dr Mushi

Website
www.getphpbb.com
Would the battery replacement nullify my songs on my current iPod?

Would I still get to keep the old one, for song replacement purposes?

I only ask because I've had the iPod about 2 years now, and it's basically my entire library of songs. I've switched computers and harddrives a couple of times, and if I lost all of the songs on it, I'd probably never get them back.

jakefans

I'd hoped that I could get $100 credit because I own both 2nd and 3rd generation iPods, but there was a snag. I won my 3Gen iPod from a radio station during the first Super Bowl promo in early 2004. Since the rules for claiming my share of the settlement require a check or receipt indicating purchase, I'm outta luck.

Meanwhile, my 2Gen iPod (which I bought) is eligible for store credit, even if you don't have proof-of-purchase... which is a shame because I still have the receipt.

Big question: Why do 3G users have to verify purchase, while the 1/2G people don't have to?

(And yeah, I know I shouldn't complain over a free iPod. Still, there's a double standard at work here.)

Ellis_D_Trails

I bought my 2nd generation iPod around 04/03 and the battery has yet to fail on me. I looked over the forms and Apple isn't requesting much proof on 2nd Gen iPods. So, could I just potentially file a claim for the $50 voucher? Also, does the voucher cover any item at the Apple Store? Or only "Apple-branded" producted?

farook911

what about uk?

What about UK users? I bought my iPod in the US but registered it and live in the UK. Surely if Apple concede that certain 3G owners in the US should be compensated, then UK users who are in the exact same situation deserve the same compensation. Does anyone know the status of the situation for UK users? If so, please post or message me, my iPod battery is dieing and i bought it in january 2004.

farook911

random person

Well after hunting around for receipts I found one from July 25 2002 that shipped in October 2002 for a whopping price of $499.
The web receipt says "20 gig PC Ipod" but the shipping receipt says "10 gig." Since I have both a 2nd gen and 3rd gen Ipod (and a 4G and two Minis -- oh well, that's a whole other story!) I am struggling to determine if this receipt is for the 3G or the 2G.

Can anyone tell me if an order placed in July 2002 is likely to be the 3G or could it have been the 2G? If it's not the 3G, does anyone know when that one came out?

Many thanks for your help!

kimmiecootoo

I am unable to find my receipt as I purchased my 3rd generation ipod over 2 years ago. I know it was registered as i receieved the claim forms in the mail addressed to me. Does anyone know what will happen in a case where one can not find the original receipts for the transaction?

suckithard

So does anybody know which one will be better a batt replacement or $50 credit? or does it depend on personal preference?

laurenb3G

Website
muweb.marymount.edu
I absolutely love my 3G iPod, but I can't tell you how many times I've said "Oh come on!" when the battery has conked out on me. I am going to test my battery charge soon, according to the Battery Failure Definition listed on the notice. They mistakenly don't allow for power the backlight may pull from the battery, I usually have mine set to 5-10 seconds. The benefit settlement for 3G iPods seems a bit odd. So they're going to extend the warranty and then during that year if battery failure is noticed, then they'll replace the battery or whole iPod? Maybe it's just worded strangely...did Apple really state that the battery would hold it's charge for the life of the iPod? Because obviously rechargeable batteries do lose their charge-holding capabilities after a while. I have a feeling my iPod will last pass the 4 hour test though...just to spite me :)

chef8489

Master Chef Extrodinare
It is still in courts. Nothing is settled as of yet. I have contacted the attorneys and also apple and they will notify people when the lawsuit is settled.

uhavegotmale

If you cant find your reciept and you bought it online, you can get it by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE. I got mine from there.

argelilus

So, I've sent in my request for the $50 coupon...anyone know the latest guess when we might actually receive them?

Rich_in_CO

Do you honestly think Apple is going to test the charge time for each iPod coming in requesting a replacement battery? Heck No. They will get them in and either send you a new equivilent iPod or replace the battery. They are not going to fully charge your iPod and then let it run for 4+ hours to see if you qualify. This is just not cost effective given the hourly cost of an Apple tech.

I just sent my request off for a battery replacement for my 3G/40GB. I am hoping they send me a 60 photo (wishfull thinking), since they don't make 40s now. If not, I will, at the very least, get a new battery replaced in my current 40. Since they typically charge $99 for this service, it's not a bad deal.

swardraws

In the last week I noticed...

that when I get out my 3G to plug in, there is only a low charge left. I hardly use it unplugged so it is draining while off it appears. Anyway today I tried the battery test and was bummed to find out it took exactly 6 hours to drain. Too long for this deal but too short to be acceptable.

Does not having the ear phones plugged in really influence the results? The last 2 hours of my 6 hours I brought it to a meeting so I didn't have earphones plugged in.

hbmartin

Is there any way I can check to ensure that my claim has been received?

coolio

Re: what about uk?

farook911 said:
What about UK users? I bought my iPod in the US but registered it and live in the UK. Surely if Apple concede that certain 3G owners in the US should be compensated, then UK users who are in the exact same situation deserve the same compensation. Does anyone know the status of the situation for UK users? If so, please post or message me, my iPod battery is dieing and i bought it in january 2004.

farook911
Exactly, they allow warranty to travel between the 2 countries, surely they should extend this. Maybe we should contact them?

coolio

Re: what about uk?

farook911 said:

farook911
Exactly, they allow warranty to travel between the 2 countries, surely they should extend this. Maybe we should contact them?