• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Apple Networking Help...Not iPod Related

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

weatherman

Señor Lounger
This is an absurdly simple question, but for all my research I can't seem to find the answer:

What (if any) wireless adapters work with Mac? I know that I can get the Airport Extreme card from Apple, but are there any other options - perhaps USB? None of the ones that I've looked at (linksys, netgear) are compatible.

The problem is that I've just set up a wireless network for my friend who is not computer savvy. I thought I'd just be able to give him my old linksys USB adapter, but I couldn't find any drivers for mac. I need to recommend something very simple to him - like buying a USB adapter, because if I tell him to open up his computer he's going to freak out and I'm going to have to do it for him...

yinyang

Retired
just checked iogear and belkin as well, and they only 'support' windows for the usb adapters..!? always thought that macs would work without any need for drivers, but maybe not!! have you tried your adapter on his mac?

weatherman

Señor Lounger
I did try the adapter on his mac and, perhaps because I'm a complete n00b when it comes to macs, I couldn't see how to make it work. As far as I could tell, the device wasn't even recognized.

I don't know though - maybe it could have worked. Has anyone ever used a USB adapter with a mac? I'm using the Linksys WUSB-11.

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
I'm getting a little confused here. Do you mean a wireless router by adapter or just the modem? I have no idea.

Anyway, Linksys wireless routers are Windows and Mac compatible even though on their package, they "highly recommend" Windows...

weatherman

Señor Lounger
It's not the router that I'm talking about -- here's the setup:

Internet==>Modem==>Router~~~>USB WiFi Adapter (or Airport Extreme card)

Mayhaps the Linksys adapter is compatible with Mac, but I just don't know how to configure it. I'll try it again and see if I can get it to work before recommending that he get an Airport Extreme card.

Thanks for the input.

weatherman

Señor Lounger
Well, I finally found one - the DWL-122 from DLink. I'm not sure whether it's worth getting and trying, since the mac support does not seem to get good marks. Probably just go with the Airport.

Thanks again for the help.