• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Apple has no plans to imitate the Napster flat rate monthly plan

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Lone

A man who likes his taffy
I wish it was an option also...couldn't hurt.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
I don't see this as a big deal, but then again I would probably never use it either....

neb

Nah, no loss for me either. Probably means I will spend less :)

urbanlegend

Toronto Tonto
I would be very interested in a subscription service for iTunes. It would probably motivate me to get off this old 866 running Win ME.

John

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
Why would the world's #1 music store want to adopt a strategy that it's lesser rivals use?

On the other hand though, I'd use the first music store that comes to Singapore with music sold that is compatible with OS X and the iPod...

Capital R

AKA Randall
Website
restinchaos.deviantart.com
What about like an iTMS credit. So you would pay a certain amount and iTunes would keep it as credit, and you could buy songs online until the credit ran out, at which point you just give the more money. Like a prepaid kinda thing?

Interpol

Kristiano said:
Why would the world's #1 music store want to adopt a strategy that it's lesser rivals use?
Competition, maybe?

Actually, the concept of having access to a 1M+ song library that you could play on any computer at home plus on your iPod would be appealing to many users, and the fact that you'd have to pay every month to continue having access to that library should be appealing to Apple.

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
Interpol said:
Competition, maybe?

Actually, the concept of having access to a 1M+ song library that you could play on any computer at home plus on your iPod would be appealing to many users, and the fact that you'd have to pay every month to continue having access to that library should be appealing to Apple.
Apple won't do it because of Steve Jobs personality. Plain and simple. Read this interview for more info.

Steven P. Jobs
These [music subscription] services that are out there now are going to fail. Music Net's gonna fail, Press Play's gonna fail. Here's why: People don't want to buy their music as a subscription. They bought 45's; then they bought LP's; then they bought cassettes; then they bought 8-tracks; then they bought CD's. They're going to want to buy downloads. People want to own their music. You don't want to rent your music -- and then, one day, if you stop paying, all your music goes away.

MikeM

Retired
I think it would work if iTunes did it. First, Steve Jobs' argument about people buying music from 45's to present doesn't even talk about radio. Lots of people listen to the radio, getting a big mix of music much like a subscription service.

My mother is a great example. She doesn't buy a lot of music because she's happy just putting the radio on. But if she could make her own huge radio mix, then she might be tempted to get an iPod and download.

It seems to me that if it could be relatively easily done, Apple could only make extra money from setting up subscriptions. It would be more customers they could lock into the Apple/iPod way of life.

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
Well I guess it is an alternative. I could see Apple running that along its purchase-only model.

But as I said earlier, I'll take virtually anything...

urbanlegend

Toronto Tonto
The problem with Jobs' argument above is that until now, we didn't have an option to purchase music by subscription. There was never the option to be a member of HMV, walk in and take as many CDs as you wanted and take them home. The closest thing would be a library and they frown upon you keeping CDs for months on end. I think subscription services will thrive.

My only question is how can you keep your music from a sub service if you change computers? Do you have to download everything on the new machine?

John

urbanlegend

Toronto Tonto
I read through the Steve Jobs interview. It was quite interesting. One thing to note is that the interview was published Dec 3, 2003. Almost two years ago. A lot has changed in that time and hopefully, Apple will come around to the subscription model.

John

moe_4eva

Capital R said:
What about like an iTMS credit. So you would pay a certain amount and iTunes would keep it as credit, and you could buy songs online until the credit ran out, at which point you just give the more money. Like a prepaid kinda thing?
lol, they already do that in the form of an iTunes allowance. You can prepay as well, I believe.

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
I think we can trust Walt Mossberg significantly more than John Dvorak...

Lone

A man who likes his taffy
Kristiano said:
I think we can trust Walt Mossberg significantly more than John Dvorak...
Why, 'cause he's a Mac guy? :rolleyes: