Apple eyeing OLED displays for future iPods

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

2000NB18T

Website
www.oneighturbo.com
for all you with new iPods...

Sources confirmed to Think Secret that Apple is investing in Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) technology, and is researching and investigating its uses in Apple products. The company reportedly plans to use OLED in next-generation iPods next year.

OLED devices are composed of two conductors with organic thin films in between them. These films emit a bright light when a current is applied.

There are a number of advantages to OLED that make it suitable for portable use, as discussed at this page. They are brighter, thinner, and lighter than LCDs, and do not require a backlight. OLED's have a wider viewing angle, faster response time for video, and greater power efficiency than LCDs. They are also more cost-effective, with a simpler manufacturing process and fewer required parts.

Apple's use of the technology will be for the display of its next-generation iPod. Set for announcement in early 2004, this iPod will boast a design and functionality radically different than current models. (Think Secret will publish a full report on this at a later date; If you have additional news to contribute, please contact us.)

Insiders also said that Apple is looking to expand OLED to its display line, or for its laptops, but that this isn't feasible for the early-2004 time frame.

Source

Last edited:

Drewpy

Website
www.drewperry.co.uk
Thanks for that, it's absolutely amazing. The video clip of the FOLED type was stunning. It was like an LCD screen but totally flexible. If Apple do use this in the 4th Gen iPods then I think we might be looking at getting colour screens. From what the site(s) say about price and simplicity and that the fact that the time responses on these things are much greater than LCD/TFT then Video would be much more suited.

Very cool indeed.

jasperstory

####... i dunno... i was going to get one in a few weeks but after that i might wait till next year. Although a colour screen is pretty much a gimmick for an mp3 player, could we be looking at video playback?

neo7288

*~ZWAN~*
of course, what would all the space and that beautiful screen do without video playback....im pretty sure Apple is leaning towards the "Best Media Player" or at least they should

XiXora

Website
www.xixora.com
i just got an ipod too dammit :p oh well

anyway... would this mean the new ipods would skim a few more 10ths of an inch off again? :p

2000NB18T

Website
www.oneighturbo.com
sorry guys. i dont have my iPod yet, actually was waiting a while for things to cool off/ updates, iTunesXP etc... but now this..

this is the way apple does things.. i remember friends jumping on the blueberry G3's only to have the graphite G4's months later. its pretty consitent. remember the clam shell laptop ?

there will always be something better around the corner.. :confused:

BTW i edited the first post to reflect the link to the video's.

here it is as well
http://www.universaldisplay.com/tech.php

Last edited:

Microchips

I bought my iPod exactly a week ago. I was also listening to it when I read this thread...

*annoyed* :D

Nah, but seriously, I like my iPod and no fancy OLED thingy is going to make me want to get one. Even if Apple implement Video playaback, I wouldn't bother.

Oh well. I'm happy, and you guys should be also!

sparks9

CanaWinPod said:
I don't know why, but this is makng me very angry!
That's because you suck.

no but really... early 2004 could be as late as june 2004, and with Apple you can never know.
We should just be happy that Apple is improving on the iPod... so we can get an even better one in the future. :D

Last edited:

wickerbill

I can't believe people get angry because a company is improving their products. Would you prefer that Apple never have improved the original 5 GB ipod and just made it forever to make sure none of the early adopters would get angry because there was a better one? Buy your high tech stuff based on its current price and features and don't worry if something new is out six months later. That doesn't change the way your current ipod works.

px2so

Thoes who are angry is new to the tech world.

In the world of tech products, you appricate what you have and use it to it's fullest potential.

Cause, if you don't, you will die eairly from stress.

Evan

I am going to wait and order an iRiver IMP-550 CD MP3 player (Or a MiniDisc, haven't decided yet) to hold me over until the 4th Gen. iPod's.

Impulse29

Everyone wants Apple to release new firmware updates (for free), but not new iPod's (not free)? I'm sorry, but the only way a company gets money is by selling stuff that costs... Thank you for the early warning (or notification) that Apple will release a new one in a couple months... that gives me time to save money. :)

couchpotato

Banned
Website
couchpotato.ca
OH SWEET!!! I was going to possible get the new v3 in like a year. But, now that this one is comming out screw you v3!!! Here I come v4! God I hope it is colour and plays vids. Nice...

sac19143

I'm probably going to buy a v4 as soon as it comes out even though I already have a v2 and v3.

Hopefully, Apple will put an AM/FM radio into the player and at least a 60gb hard drive with more battery life than the v3. If Sony can push seventy hours on their minidisc players with two AA batteries, Apple should at least get half of this with an external battery pack.