• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Apple Educational Student Discount

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

blue_maffu_202

I want to buy a mac book and heard you can save some money using the educational discount. I'm not in school but i have several friends who are.

I'm in Canada and am wondering how much you actually save on a mac book. The canadian site requires you to use your student ID to log in before you see the prices.

If I went to the apple store all I would need to do is bring my friend and her id, right?

any help would be appreciated. thanks

RatherPlayHalo

Website
www.fansforscript.com
I'm not familiar with Canadian currency, but I've looked at the student discounts I would get, and they're very, very nice.

I got my nano as a Christmas gift, but if I didn't, I would certainly purchase it this way. ;)

Website
www.ilounge.com
The educational discounts work out to approximately 10% off the normal price.

Also, depending on the educational institution in question, the student number is only validated at a basic level, so you can sign on the view the prices with just about any number. Further, the prices on the K-12 Staff educational store page are exactly the same but do not require any credentials to be entered.

Of course, actually processing an order through the store will require valid credentials.

I must also point out that technically speaking, having a friend purchase something for you is probably in violation of the specific terms of the educational discount program, but that's between you and Apple. It's also important to note that there is a limit on the quantity of items that can be purchased, and Apple does track this.

Note that iPods no longer have any educational discounts available on any of the models.

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
To give you a firm answer:

MacBook is $1099 US for the base model.
With a college student discount, it's $1049.

Not a big deal, but the college I used has a Custom Apple Store set up by a college administrator.

Nope... did it with another college, same price. Other computers are better, though. iMac is $899, Mac Pro is $2299.

(That's $100 and $200 less, respectively)

Last edited:

neb

The black MacBook (standard components) retails for £999.00 for ordinary customers. By going through Apple's store for higher education (the one which you have to access through your institute's network) the same product is £850.00. That's some 15% and £150 saved, pretty good.

blue_maffu_202

I just checked using the K-12 staff on the Canadaian site.

The MacBook I want sells for $1449 and the discount makes it $1350.

$100 is pretty good.

toothpaste

pohatu771 said:
To give you a firm answer:

MacBook is $1099 US for the base model.
With a college student discount, it's $1049.

Not a big deal, but the college I used has a Custom Apple Store set up by a college administrator.

Nope... did it with another college, same price. Other computers are better, though. iMac is $899, Mac Pro is $2299.

(That's $100 and $200 less, respectively)
I get 10% off with my student id. So that would be $229 off of a Mac Pro. Considering the tax is less than 10% in New York City (a place you are not in), the student discount pays for the taxes you have to pay on your purchase.

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
Punk_Rox is in Rochester, jwc110869 is in Buffalo. Before, when my Location said "New York," people assumed I meant the city.

Tax in my county is 8%, the county I do my shopping in (since they actually have stores) is 8.25%.