• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Anyone have experience with Staples (Business Depot) warranty?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

blue_maffu_202

I bought a laptop in July 2005 for $2012. I paid the $167 for 2 year extended warranty. It’s a Toshiba Satellite.

From the beginning I have experienced so many problems:

-The “super-multi DVD writer” which is advertised as a 4x writer, won’t write above 2x on any DVD media, 4x,8x,12x all burn at 2x.

-The Laptop gets very hot. The temperature program lists it as getting up to about 100 degrees Celsius, at which point it shuts down and won’t come back one until it cools down. This happens frequently.

-Sometimes, it turns off out of the blue, not even when it’s hot. I loose everything I was working on and it ####es me off.

-When I shut it down myself, it will not turn on and work again. It comes on, shows the desktop with no icons and no start bar and stays this way until I restart. This process can repeat 20-30 times in a row before it actually starts properly again. Very aggravating. I avoid shut downs because I know if I do, I may be without a computer for a while.

Needless to say, I’m fed up. Staples so called warranty basically involves them either formatting the hard drive (and charging you to back it up), or for you to do it yourself.

I called the head office for customer service because these problems are getting more frequent. They said to bring it in, they will send it away within 10 days and it will be returned with a diagnostic report after 4 weeks. Not repaired, just a report.

I work from home on the computer, I can’t go a month without it.

On top of all the problems I still get the Windows Problems, Blue screen of death, “program has encountered an error”, etc. Next computer I get, I’m defecting and joining the Apple team.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do?

The warranty agreement says they can “return the product for a merchandise credit for the value of the product at the time of return in working condition” but the lady on the phone said my only option was sending it away. I’d rather get my money, and buy a MacBook. I’m sick of PCs failing me.

moe_4eva

I would personally go in and talk to a manager in the store. Bring your warranty agreement, explain the problems you're having, and see what they can do for you there. The store is much more personal, and usually treat their customers better than they do over the phone (the over the phone people are usually a call center that isn't owned by the company, they just rent the service).

Also, if you're under a year, you also have the manufacturers warranty. So you could try them as well.

In the future, ask questions before you buy! And good luck!

musichound

First off, the blue screen of death cannot be faulted with your computer purchase. This is an OS (Operating System) problem and these happen so randomly it's hard to finger what causes it. The most likely cause is the computer shutting down abruptly, or a conflict with one or several files within the OS.

If the computer shut down abruptly because of hardware problems e.g.: Over heating, etc. then the fault can be blamed on the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Dayroc

wait. You purchased an extended warranty? i'm pretty sure its a no hassle warranty. Im sure you can just bring in and get it replace with a new one.
your best get is to go in and explain your problem and make sure they know you purchased an extended warranty. I know when i was in the states for a year a i purchased a Sony Lcd monitor way back when a 17" costs 800$. i also purchased the extended warranty because the sales rep. specifically told me that whatever happens to it you can bring it in to get it replaced. i mean ANYTHING including dropping it on the floor. but the warranty was 200$. Its just another way of them making some extra cash. This store was not a Staples, it was either Bestbuy or Circuit city

i know thats how bestbuys warranty works.

moe_4eva

musichound said:
First off, the blue screen of death cannot be faulted with your computer purchase. This is an OS (Operating System) problem and these happen so randomly it's hard to finger what causes it. The most likely cause is the computer shutting down abruptly, or a conflict with one or several files within the OS.

If the computer shut down abruptly because of hardware problems e.g.: Over heating, etc. then the fault can be blamed on the manufacturer.
From the sounds of it, his fan is not working correctly, causing the computer to overheat. Once it reaches a certain temperature, the computer will shut itself off automatically to avoid causing further harm. So, it is actually a hardware problem. My old Dell I owned did this too many times to count. I had it replaced 3 times before I gave up. Of course, now they have a lawsuit that has been settled over the issue, but I didn't want to deal with it.

blue_maffu_202

I said that on top of all the hardware problems, I also have the windows problems, the ones everyone has. I didn't mean its the computers fault, i meant that windows isn't helping my frustration with this laptop.

It does shut down when it over heats, but sometime, im typing away and it shuts off, i check and it doesn't feel hot, i don't get a blue screen of death, it just goes off, unexplaned. I think that the computer may be mistakenly shutting it self down thinking its over heating.

I'm going to go into Staples this week and talk to them in person.

I hate the fact that the sales people shove that warrenty down your throat making it seem dire to get, and then the warrenty turns out to be nothing more than "format the hard drive, that might fix it". I've read that you can get a partial refund on the warrenty, so if nothing else, i can get part of the warrenty back :p

joega

Staples Business Depot-Customer Satisfaction NOT a Priority!

Do not purchase the computer extended warranty as it is a joke. You will be without your computer for 4 weeks each time it is sent in. They repaired my original problem & created another one that they claim they cannot recreate. Everyone you speak to in customer sevice require 48 hours to respond. If you ask for a supervisor, they will not call you back. I called the US Chairman & Chief executive Officer Ron Sargent& their office took two days & three calls later to get someone from Staples Canada to call me back. Do not bother to escalate as Steve Matyas-President will not speak to you. He is out of touch with his customer base!Customer satisfaction is not a priority.:shake: