Anyone Happy with IOS 4?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Flyboybob

I was out of town when Apple released the latest system upgrade and could not sync with my home computer. Both here and on the Apple forum there have been reports of numerous problems after upgrading. I have a second generation 16 gb iPod Touch and I am reluctant to upgrade since it is working very perfectly. I am thinking of waiting until Apple releases an upgrade. Is anyone, with a second generation, iPod Touch happy after upgrading.

anypats

The 2G iPod touch really doesn't add that much by upgrading to iOS 4. If you're happy with it, I would probably stick with what you have for now.

Sabresfan2630

Dont Upgrade to 4.0. I did that with my 2nd gen ipod and I hate it. Everything seeems to be going slower. Im trying to downgrade to 3.1.2 but I cant downgrade

Flyboybob

After a 185 views only two people replied. This either means that only one person has issues with IOS4 or only one person has upgraded. I am still going to wait, but I wonder how many people, on this forum, with 2nd gen iPod Touches have upgraded.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
I put it on my 2nd gen 32GB Touch and am very happy with it. I have not noticed any slow-down, nor wi-fi issues, but battery life seems to have taken a small hit (not conclusive though). Although iOS 4 still has the problem with smart playlist Live Updating on the iPod, I like having folders for apps, folders for playlists, ability to create and edit playlists on the iPod, and it now works reasonably well with my Honda's stereo interface.

djmarcy85

sucks

it sucks i have a second Gen. and it made it go way slower and now it doesn't work at all!!!

ipodlover29

Registered iLounger
No real issues with iOS 4 on my 3G iPod touch except for the battery life. The main thing I don't like with iOS 4 is the way you have to close the apps by double clicking the menu button and then manually close each app after they start wiggling. Wish their was a simpler way of shutting down apps or maybe a close all apps function.

Flyboybob

The good thing about IOS 4 on a 2nd. gen iPod Touch is that multitasking doesn't work on that generation. But thanks for your post.

leavethelighton

I have updated my 16 gb 2nd gen iPod touch. I really have hardly noticed anything different. I'm not even sure how to use the new features. Lol! How do I lock the screen orientation? How do I use folders for apps? Apparently the 2nd gen can't have a wallpaper for the home screen. That might be ok since I've heard it can slow it down. What is some other stuff I should know? Lol!

bookbean

My iTouch is now a frustrating device

I never had any problems with my 2nd gen 8gig iTouch until now.

Without warning, when going from screen to screen, the device suddenly locks up. I know of no way to reset it other than pressing and holding the top button, front button, simultaneously, separately, until I give up. Eventually it goes back to the Apple logo and boots all over again.

I was ready to try the restore route, but someone that I know that does a great deal of tinkering with his iphones and itouches recommended to just grin and bear it and wait for another software upgrade to come out.

I have been through the Droid, numerous blackberries, but I never expected this on the iTouch.

I guess this is how software developers stay in business....fixing what is not broken. Does anyone remember how to write a letter by hand and sticking it in an envelope with a stamp???

cdnml

i have third gen ipod (i know i shouldnt reply)

i got some bugs on my ipod touch :
scrolling is fast but not so smooth as before (no lag but while scrolling through home screens it appears to just freeze a micro second) anyway not at all a problem ofcourse

i could play music videos well (lol) annoying. when i go to music and scroll through music videos in middle of songs list and play it.
then it skips to some random song and i have to press prev to play that music video and sometimes that wont even work

not all apps support multitasking (only half of them). people who own second gen ipod think that multitasking make ipod easy but not at all (dont believe me ?).
u launched some app or safari/calender,clock etc. and after using app u close it right ? if u close it on 3rd gen it just dont end it runs in background and u have to double press home button and then press an icon until all icons jiggle and close them
multitasking really makes double mess than what we do previously without it (lol) only good thing is u can have background radio and for locking auto rotation

gamecenter is yet to come

all features here :

* Multitasking support for third-party apps*
– Multitasking user interface to quickly move between
apps
– Support for audio apps to play in the background
– VoIP apps can receive and maintain calls in the
background or when device is asleep
– Apps can monitor location and take action while
running in the background
– Alerts and messages can be pushed to apps using
push and local notifications
– Apps can complete tasks in the background
* Folders to better organize and access apps
* Home screen Wallpaper*
* Mail improvements
– Unified inbox to view emails from all accounts in one
place
– Fast inbox switching to quickly switch between
different email accounts
– Threaded messages to view multiple emails from the
same conversation
– Attachments can be opened with compatible third-
party apps
– Search results can now be filed or deleted
– Option to select size of photo attachments
– Messages in the Outbox can be edited or deleted
* Support for iBooks and iBookstore (available from the App Store)
* Photo and Camera improvements
– 5x digital zoom when taking a photo**
– Tap to focus during video recording**
– Ability to sync Faces from iPhoto
– Geo-tagged photos appear on a map in Photos
* Ability to create and edit playlists on device
* Calendar invitations can be sent and accepted wirelessly with supported CalDAV servers
* Support for MobileMe calendar sharing
* Suggestions and recent searches appear during a web search
* Searchable SMS/MMS messages**
* Spotlight search can be continued on web and Wikipedia
* Enhanced location privacy
– New Location Services icon in the status bar
– Indication of which apps have requested your location
in the last 24 hours
– Location Services can be toggled on or off for
individual apps
* Automatic spellcheck
* Support for Bluetooth keyboards*
* iPod out to navigate music, podcasts and audiobooks through an iPod interface with compatible cars
* Support for iTunes gifting of apps
* Wireless notes syncing with IMAP-based mail accounts
* Persistent WiFi connection to receive push notifications*
* New setting for turning on/off cellular data only**
* Option to display the character count while composing new SMS/MMS**
* Visual Voicemail messages can be kept locally even if they have been deleted from the server**
* Control to lock portrait orientation*
* Audio playback controls for iPod and third-party audio apps*
* New languages, dictionaries and keyboards
* Accessibility enhancements*
* Bluetooth improvements
* Better data protection using the device passcode as an encryption key* (Requires full restore.)
* Support for third-party Mobile Device Management solutions
* Enables wireless distribution of enterprise applications
* Exchange Server 2010 compatibility
* Support for multiple Exchange ActiveSync accounts
* Support for Juniper Junos Pulse and Cisco AnyConnect SSL VPN apps (available from the App Store)
* More than 1,500 new developer APIs
* Bug fixes

Products compatible with iOS 4 software update:

* iPhone 3G
* iPhone 3GS
* iPhone 4
* iPod touch 2nd generation
* iPod touch 3rd generation (late 2009 models with 32GB or 64GB)

* Requires iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPod touch 3rd generation.
** Requires iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4. SMS/MMS messaging and Visual Voicemail require support from your wireless carrier.

i hope ios 4 definitely recommended but not right now just wait until small bugs get fixed up

Jeckler

Upgraded my 3rd gen 32gb a couple days ago, went fine. I think it only took about 10 minutes. I wasn't paying attention. Battery life doesn't seem to be affected at all. Still works in my car too. The only thing I'd noticed was that shake-to-shuffle was MUCH more sensitive. I just turned it off, since I never use it... purposely anyway. :)

tito

It really slowed down my 2nd gen after the upgrade...As already said if you are happy with your current version, i think you should stay with it..

DGKay10

Am I happy with OS4.0? NO. If I'd have know what it would do to my almost brand-new iPod I would never have upgraded! Wish I had waited, or come here first to read what others are saying, before I did so. Now even a Restore back to factory specs didn't take the new version off and I'm stuck with it. It's sort of fixed, for now, but I want a patch from Apple to fix it for certain! Not holding my breath on that one though.... :(

I was thinking of getting a different player when I bought this and now I'm sort of wishing I went with that one, but I wanted the one with more available apps, etc. Not entirely buyer's remorse, but having such problems so soon after getting the thing makes me wonder what next.

DGK

Flyboybob

Thanks for all of your replies. I upgraded with no problems. I have since unlocked it and have both wallpaper and multitasking working. So far no loss of performance and the features work great.

Flyboybob

Thanks for all of your replies. I installed IOS4 and have had no issues. My son unlocked it so now both wallpaper and multitasking work fine.
I have not noticed any performance issues.

Looker

I'd be happy with it if it wasn't for the problem with the duplicate songs (posted a thread about it). Otherwise it's fine and I'm happy with the new features.