Anyone else cursing Apple? :D

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

xboxman

Expelliarmus!
Well for the last couple of weeks I have been in Florida and thus out of sync with the news. So yes I was unaware of the event at the time, and yes I did buy an iPod. One week ago actually. Two of them in fact. One for me, one for my dad. One is still sealed up. I used mine for the first time today.

Anyone else had similar experiences? I am debating whether or not to quickly eBay both of these 30gbs and get a pair of black 80gb "Classics"...30 hours battery life? Yes please!

XXTwnz

Return them to the store you bought them at. Almost all stores have a 14 to 30 return policy.

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
Can't you just return them? No doubt you'll make more than you would on eBay. If not a 30 day return policy, most places have 14.

edit: Well said XXTwnz :p

hyroboarder

I am cursing apple because of how they screwed the people that had more than 16 gb of storage that wanted a touchscreen. Not happy about this but overall I guess I am. new nanos, color shuffles, classic and touch are all overall cool.

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
hyroboarder said:
I am cursing apple because of how they screwed the people that had more than 16 gb of storage that wanted a touchscreen. Not happy about this but overall I guess I am. new nanos, color shuffles, classic and touch are all overall cool.
I think that the technology is behind Apple's design in that case. I want to say that if there were flash drives that large or HDDs as small and power-conserving as a flash drive, you would have seen a large capacity touch today.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
xboxman said:
Well for the last couple of weeks I have been in Florida and thus out of sync with the news.
Summer in Florida??? U suppose to do that in December! Hope u didn't visit the (mosquito city) Evergrades.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
papayaninja said:
I think that the technology is behind Apple's design in that case. I want to say that if there were flash drives that large or HDDs as small and power-conserving as a flash drive, you would have seen a large capacity touch today.

Power consumption differences between flash and HDD are overblown. Look at the 40 hours of music, 7 of video that the 6G specs out at. Plenty impressive for a device sporting a 160 gig hard drive.

xboxman

Expelliarmus!
Yeah I am only really bothered about the fact that I paid the same amount for something which has 50gb less and a poorer battery life. I can't return the iPods as I am back in the UK :D (It would cost a lot to fly back to that Apple store, return this iPod and buy a new one :p)

Hmm, oh well, I put one up on eBay for about 50 pounds more then what I paid for it (yay exchange rate differences!!!!) so lets see what happens. If not then I suppose it doesn't really matter.....

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Surf Monkey said:
Power consumption differences between flash and HDD are overblown. Look at the 40 hours of music, 7 of video that the 6G specs out at. Plenty impressive for a device sporting a 160 gig hard drive.
Yeah, it's not power. Wondering whether it's a technical thing (HD don't play nice with touchscreen?), or marketing.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Surf Monkey said:
The physical size of the iPod Touch's screen (area and thickness), are a significant hindrance to power consumption and battery size. A hard drive would be physically difficult to squeeze in, and the power consumption of a hard drive is significantly more than flash (there's a motor in there spinning up the drive, remember?)

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
rockmyplimsoul said:
and the power consumption of a hard drive is significantly more than flash (there's a motor in there spinning up the drive, remember?)
That would be the superficial assestment yes. But I read Surf_Monkey's comment about the power consumption of the new 160 and am not so sure.

bdb

On the B side of life
xboxman said:
Anyone else had similar experiences?
I have a friend who just bought a nano two weeks ago. At least he can probably still return it.

I've been around for a few new iPod announcements, and this happens every time. Its inevitable - apple sells a lot of iPods every month, so there are going to be thousands (maybe millions?) of people who just bought one not too long ago, and of course paid full price.

Apple kind of hoses their customers that way, but they're a popular company so they get away with it. Any other company would announce a product ahead of time, and you'd have the choice of buying the older model (usually at a discount) or waiting for the new model.

tasdisr

Well I bought my 30GB iPod about six weeks ago knowing (from reading this forum and asking some questions) that an update was due soon. The only thing I wish that my 30GB had would be the longer battery life. I use mine primarily in my car so the extra storage is not needed.

BlackHawk47

Well, I was looking into the touch iPod, but many reasons put in me in doubt for it.

I wanted a full screen, but with small space, larger price, and less battery life, I would only go for iPod classic. I even thought of if there was a real point for touchscreen, wi fi, and flash memory, it came to me it wasn't necessary. And with my 100+ GB media on iTunes, I really have no choice then to go for a 160GB Silver Classic. The screen never bothers me so much... it's just the scratches!!!

Well, there you have it. It's all the consumer's market, for ya... :\

bkrodgers

Yes, I am cursing them a little. I bought an 80 GB about 2 months ago. I wasn't blind to the possibility this would happen. On the one side, I knew that it had been awhile since a new iPod came out. On the other, the iPhone had just come out, so it was hard to say whether Apple would/could put the resources into an iPod update this soon. Obviously, the answer now is that they could. I'm also shocked by 160 GB. I expected 100 or maybe 120, but 160 at the same price point completely floored me. If I'd known that, I probably would have waited.

It comes down to the fact that Apple is frustratingly secretive, yet they really do deliver in the end. I wish they provided more information, but it's just the way they are. Other companies provide more advance information, but I don't like their products as much as I like the iPod. So I (and millions of others) put up with this crap from Apple. If a company that wasn't so maddeningly secretive and abusive towards their customers put out a product that matched or beat the iPod, I'd ditch Apple in a second over this fact. But that hasn't happened, and today's announcement means it will be a long time before it does.

So...I'm a somewhat frustrated owner of a 5.5G 80GB iPod. But it works very well and I'm happy with what it does. It's not full yet, and I've gotten 2 months of use out of it during a time when it was the biggest iPod available, and it'll still continue to serve me well until it fills up, at which point I'm sure I'll curse Apple some more. Yet I'm sure I'll still buy the 160 GB when the time comes.

Just in time for a 320GB iPod to come out...

paranoidxe

Hows this one for you? August 11th I purchased my 2G Red Nano...last year I got a 1G Black Nano 4GB...both of them had new gens come out a month after..no return just stuck..it doesn't actually suck though its not like they are useless..in fact right now I think the 2G look better.

kipland_r

I would stick with your ebay plan since you could easily get your money out of them since you probably paid less with the difference in dollars/pounds. Darn that Apple.