Anyone compared ER-4's with ER-6's?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

funkyg

Last year I bought some Sony MDR71's to replace my stock buds for my iPod and thought they were really good. However, after reading reviews of the Etymotic ER-4's and ER-6's I finally pushed the boat out and got me some ER-6i Isolators.

They are fantastic! Once I got used to how far in they actually go, I was totally blown away by the sound quality. I'm listening to music that I know and love and 'rediscovering' it. These ear phones abilty to separate the instruments so I can hear each individual one is incredible. REM's Out of Time album is like a new release!

The thing is, if these are so good, how good are the ER-4's in comparison?
I would have loved to try the 4's but weighing in at just under twice as much, are they THAT much better?
I would have like to do side by side comparisons but I couldn't find any stores here in the UK the even sold them let elone allow me to try them and compare them.
Cheers.

Mike.

gravydrive

I had a pair of the 4P model. While it sounded great, I just couldn't justify the extra quality for the extra $100. I soon after sold them on eBay and took the $10 hit. Still using my 6i's!

funkyg

angelo r74 said:
er6's SUCK!! i REPEAT THEY SUCK!
Thanks for the constructive critisism! Would you care to quantify your statement?

Instead of telling me 'They suck', tell me why they suck. What do you use? What are better for the money?

As it stands I think they're ace, they sound good in MY ears and that's what counts surely?

angelo r74

ok here goes
1) no bass bass is non exitant!!!/ thier just missing that soul of sound!
2) sound clarity of music is horrible sounds like a record player
3) design...3 fanged tips r too long and r uncomftrable
4)they r high mantience u have to replace the fiters too often and that gets costly!
5) overall sound is just pure junk!! best brands r the denons, v-moda and ultimate ears
CASE CLOSED SORRY BUD U LOST THIS ONE!! by the way the denon ah-c350k's blow away the er's and thier only 50.00!!! take it from a guy who has tried ever brand out thier and tested them the denon ah- 500's r even better 119.99... v-moda makes the best buds for the iphone and im happy with mine!! if i didnt have a iphone i proably would choose 1 of the three companies that i mentioned. funk try the denon's u will see what i mean, if u have a iphone stick with v-moda the bass pounds hard and tight.

Last edited:

funkyg

Aha, a valid well made out argument that wasn't so difficult now was it?
Seriously though, thanks for the pointers if someone can take the time to explain something to me I am more than happy to listen.

Now bear in mind this is only my OPINION. I'm not saying I am necessarily right, this is just what I think.
I disagree with your first two points, and I think this is due to your third point.
angelo r74 said:
There is plenty of bass for me, I don't like really overpowering bass. Don't get me wrong, you do need bass after all it is the 'soul of sound' (great line!)

angelo r74 said:
Now I really have to disagree with you here. I have a lot of wide ranging music. Banging rock, thin 80's synth, warm accoustic, chilled out mellow stuff. Everything I listen to using these ear phones sound sooooooo much better than it ever has. The clarity is unbelievable. I can pick out every single instrument, the scratch of fingers/pic's angainst guitar strings, the singer taking a breath before singing.

angelo r74 said:
I think this is the key area, getting them fitted correctly and comfortably. If they aren't in properly they just don't work. I think the three flange tips are optimal for these ear phones and are designed in such a way. If you can't get comfortable with these then they just won't work properly for you. I must have big ear canals, as they 3 flange fits me perfectly it's almost as if they were made especially for me!
When I first got them I was with you on your first two points. There was no bass and the overall sound quality was poor. Then a friend of mine who also had some said to me "Let me put them in for you, trust me" So with some trepidation I allowed him to put them in for me. While he was doing it I was sure they were going to get stuck because he was pushing them in too far! But then all of a sudden a sonic fog was lifted, the difference between being in how I thought they should and how they actually should is incredible.
I'm lucky I had someone to show me how to put them in properly, otherwise I would probably be of the same opinion as you. The key was to push them up at an angle as the ear canal (or mine at least) doesn't go straight in horizontally it goes in at an upward angle.

In that respect, yes it is poor design. You shouldn't have to learn how to put in ear phones, they should just slip in and work. Now I know what to do with them they are in and out in a flash and they work brilliantly.

angelo r74 said:
4)they r high mantience u have to replace the fiters too often and that gets costly!
This could be an issue. I've had mine a couple of months now and they sound as good today is they did when I got them. I always make sure that they go back in thier little pouch when not in use to make sure dust or any other kind of crap gets in them. I'm still on the first set of filters, and they came with one spare set. I've just got some off Ebay for £5.00, so that should last me for a while.
The jury is out on the point, I may concede that one to you!

angelo r74 said:
5) overall sound is just pure junk!!
Well now you're just reiterating your first two points, which I've already covered!

angelo r74 said:
best brands r the denons, v-moda and ultimate ears
CASE CLOSED SORRY BUD U LOST THIS ONE!! by the way the denon ah-c350k's blow away the er's and thier only 50.00!!! take it from a guy who has tried ever brand out thier and tested them the denon ah- 500's r even better 119.99... v-moda makes the best buds for the iphone and im happy with mine!! if i didnt have a iphone i proably would choose 1 of the three companies that i mentioned. funk try the denon's u will see what i mean, if u have a iphone stick with v-moda the bass pounds hard and tight.
I lost? Sorry I didn't realise it was a competiton! You know what? There are no winners or losers here. You have yours and are happy with them, I have mine and am VERY happy with them. Thanks for your opinion, next time I buy some head phones I'll give your suggestions some consideration.

toothpaste

I would vote against the etymotics in general. I had the er6ib and it was a disappointment. To each his own but I would not recommend them at all. Get a pair of shure or ultimate ears instead.

angelo r74

funk,
i think u r exagerating a little on the performance of these buds they just FLAT OUT SUCK! when i first got these i wanted to try the foam tips so i carefully slipped off the flanged tips and shure enough the filter was stuck in them and refused to come out i knew then that these buds would be a MAJOR HEADACHE!. along with the awful sound, also i inserted the flanges the right way and wasnt happy!. I mean when it comes down to it its youre money u waste it!! the way u want to! u r only dapriving youre self, i mean with the new q-jays with double drivers, that also get a solid A on this forum. and with ULIMTATE EARS' REMOVABLE CABLE WHEN IF U THINK ABOUT EXTEND YOURE LIFE ON THOSE EXPENSIVE BUDS WHY WOULD U JUST SETTLE FOR GARBAGE!! HEY IF U LIKE THEM THATS ALL THAT MATTERS GOOD LUCK WITH THEM. also look into the denons over here in the nj/ ny area they have a great name u wont be dissapointed!! also v-moda works greta with the iphone. and get great reviews...

Last edited:

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
I first owned a pair of er4, that got stolen, then due to financial realities had to settle for a pair of er6. If I had more money, I would get the er4 instead. er4 2x as good as er6? of course not, maybe 1.5x.

But most importantly, b4r u spend another $100, the er4 maybe "too good" for an iPod. It's fine if u gonna use it too, to hookup to laptop/home stereo etc.

Am starting to think Angelo doesn't like the er6!

losbozos

HELP! ER6i broken!!

One of the little wires that is welded to the plug that goes in my nano broke. Tried several times to attach all wires to another plug w/ limited to no success. Is there a way to repair or how do I repair them? Or am I just stuck into buying ANOTHER set of buds? Had them over a year and love them. Is there an equal but less expensive brand someone can suggest?

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
U can get a plug from Radio Shack and replace, or (more aesthetically pleasing) find a cable from a throwaway old phone and replace it THIS WAY.

Either way, u need soldering. Hope u know how to do this or have a friend who does.

If u bought it with AMEX, don't forget you have double warranty.

Last edited:

losbozos

rewiring Etymotic ER

WOW!!! Thanks for the link. I searched most of the morning yesterday so I really appreciate this. Yes, I know how to solder (jewelery class in college). Will let ya'll know how it goes.
Thanks!

funkyg

bobb-mini said:
U can get a plug from Radio Shack and replace, or (more aesthetically pleasing) find a cable from a throwaway old phone and replace it THIS WAY.

QUOTE]

Hey, thanks for that link. Hopefully I'll never need it but I have it stashed away just in case.

mdarnton

My first real phones after Sony EX51s were ER6s, then I bought some Shure E2Cs, and then when both of those quit, I got ER4Ps. The ER6s were very revealing and interesting, but too harsh, so I solved that by turning down the treble a bit, and they were perfect. They're short on bass, but the quality of everything else makes up for that. The E2Cs were darker, and more "musical", but I missed the crystal clarity of the Etys. When they quit, I got the ER4Ps, which I love.

In my experience so far, no IEM gives great bass, but the ones that I've heard that have any at all have it in a particularly offensive, bloated, unclear, unmusical way. V-Moda Vibes were a total waste of money--they were like being at a live concert with a bad soundman--just a thumping mess on the bottom.

My current ER4Ps are very similar to some of the classier headphones I have--just a tiny bit bare compared to real phones (very similar to my Grados, overall, without the airiness), but the bass is really high quality. Because they're still a bit hard on my ears, I counter by turning up the bass, which works well with them, because there actually is something there to turn up that you want to hear (this did not work with either the ER6s or the E2Cs)..

If you just want offensive, in your face, window-shaking bass, IEMs are not the thing to get--buy some real phones--though I do understand that some of the $600+ or so IEMs, which I have not heard, aren't too bad in this regard. In general, you pay extra $$ to get something small that you can shove in your ears. I'd say that a $90 set of Grado SR80s are better than ER4Ps, for instance, and people say nice things about the ~$150 Goldrings, which I haven't heard.

Team

angelo r74 said:
ok here goes
5) overall sound is just pure junk!! best brands r the denons, v-moda and ultimate ears
You're dating yourself with those sweeping judgments and abuse of the caps key; (mentally, at least) you've proven your age to be somewhere between 8 and 13. Please, if you're going to say something as brash as "Etymotics suck", back it up with some facts, and more than a few fragments of an intelligent sentence. ;)

Fair enough, the Etymotics aren't to everyone's liking – the same is true of most IEMs – but to say they "suck" because you don't like the fit is ludicrous. I've owned ER6i's for going on 3 years now, and I couldn't be happier. I did a month's research, both here and over at Head-Fi, and came to the same conclusion as the vast majority of audiophiles: the ER6i's are the best entry-level IEMs on the market today. The V-Modas, for all their promise, are still slightly overpriced (clearly you're paying a premium for the design) and, what's more, they're inconsistent; not every pair sounds the same. They don't deliver anywhere near accurate sound reproduction, they're extremely bass-heavy and lacking most of the detail you hear with more neutral IEMs like the ER6i's. I'm sure the V-Modas make that 50 album you're listening to (in all its 128kbps glory lol) sound great, but for anyone who's not gino-beat-obsessed (eg. rock, classical, jazz fans, etc.), the V-Modas will seem lacking, if not downright obnoxious.

Furthermore, it's apparent from your comments about the ER6i's perceived lack of bass that you failed to try out the foam ear tips that came with them – you'd know about this if you'd read the iLounge review of the ER6i's. As for the filters, yes they can be an annoyance (they really gouge you when buying replacements), but that flaw is far from fatal. As I previously stated, I've owned ER6i's for going on 3 years, and only within the past 2 weeks did I need to buy replacement filters. Keeping the filters clean is as simple as keeping your ears clean. Unless you're unable to figure out how to operate a q-tip, that shouldn't be too hard. I'm not sure why you'd think that the Etymotics lack clarity – maybe it's because of the poor bitrate of the audio you're listening to (the V-Modas comparatively "soft" sound, lack of detail and excessive bass would do a better job of masking this)? Finally, the Etymotics might seem fragile, but I've found the thin wires to be far sturdier than they look. My ER6i's, though jealously guarded and well cared for, have also endured their fair share of being squashed, sat on, and having their cables pinched and tugged; they haven't broken or suffered any visible damage, and I've noticed no loss of sound quality.

As with all of Etymotic's phones, the ER6i's are well designed and of excellent quality. The same is also true of the V-Modas, perhaps moreso than with the ER6i's. However, earphones aren't just meant as expensive lobe ornaments, they're supposed to sound good, too, and it's in this key area that the ER6i's smoke the competition. The bottom line is that they're a bargain, when you consider the sound quality is superior to that of more expensive phones (the $299 Bose QC2s and $349 QC3s come to mind).
angelo r74 said:
CASE CLOSED SORRY BUD U LOST THIS ONE!!
Sorry, but you lost the debate the moment your fingers hit the keyboard.
angelo r74 said:
take it from a guy who has tried ever brand out thier and tested them the denon ah- 500's r even better 119.99
We don't believe you, you need better English. I'll bet you hate Grados, too.:shake:

Take it from someone who's listened to crap like Skull Candies, all the way up to the spectacular Grado RS1s – you don't know what you're talking about. Your arguments are poorly informed at best, they just make you seem more ignorant than you probably are.

angelo r74

team save youre idiotic comments for some other forum I SPEAK THE TRUTH CASE CLOSED!!!! THIER ALWAYS HAS SO BE SOME JERK ON THESE THINGS AND FOR THIS FORUM ITS U TEAM GET OFF OF HERE!!