• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

    New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

    This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

    Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

    Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Anybody here use Comodo Firewall AND Avast anti-virus? I keep getting BSOD.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

GadgetGuru72

New member
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
2,500
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles, CA
I had been using Zone Alarm's free firewall along with Avast anti-virus for a long time with no problems. Then, a few months ago, Zone Alarm started acting erratic and I decided to try out Comodo firewall.

I have no idea if this is related or not, but now I get at least one BSOD (blue screen of death) a week.

Does anybody else use this particular combo of programs? Do they behave well together?

I can't seem to figure out the source of this problem, and it's driving me crazy.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
 

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
6,997
Points
0
Location
Silicon Valley
No idea.

Just wanto mention on the long run, a hardware firewall is highly recommended. Not only it's nearly impossible to compromise (doesn't run Windows or Linux) but being a separate box means no stealing cpu cycles from your main box, no interference to Windows, whatever OS yer using. And when prob/questions, it's always ezier to troubleshoot and manage since you can quickly disconnect the box and findout whether it's the FW or something else. HF used to be expensive, but they have really dropped in $, like a medium priced router these days. And if u have multiple PCs, well, the advantage is obvious.
 
Last edited:

GadgetGuru72

New member
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
2,500
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles, CA
bobb-mini said:
No idea.

Just wanto mention on the long run, a hardware firewall is highly recommended. Not only it's nearly impossible to compromise (doesn't run Windows or Linux) but being a separate box means no stealing cpu cycles from your main box, no interference to Windows, whatever OS yer using. And when prob/questions, it's always ezier to troubleshoot and manage since you can quickly disconnect the box and findout whether it's the FW or something else. HF used to be expensive, but they have really dropped in $, like a medium priced router these days. And if u have multiple PCs, well, the advantage is obvious.
I found out tonight that when using "add/remove programs" to uninstall Zone Alarm that certain dll and other files are actually left behind on the machine. It is possible (likely?) that these files are interfering with Comodo, causing a conflict, and resulting in a crash.

I printed out a set of instructions on how to remove the left over files, along with removing all traces of Zone Alarm from the registry.

If that doesn't solve my problem, I may look into hardware firewalls. Is there one (or even just a brand) that you'd recommend?
 

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
6,997
Points
0
Location
Silicon Valley
GadgetGuru72 said:
I found out tonight that when using "add/remove programs" to uninstall Zone Alarm that certain dll and other files are actually left behind on the machine.
Surprised! :)

Gosh, it could be anything. That's a bad thing of running many things in a general purpose machine. I would try XP's Restore feature, Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. It's supposed to "go-back" to when everything was working b4r. No guarantee, and be sure to backup any personal data b4r this procedure.

HF, as mentioned, is a long term thing, u wanna look into that when you have the time and not now under the gun.

Even b4r a HF, I recommend a tool like Semantec's GHOST. If does what System Restore does but GUARANTEED to take you back when it worked. It's a wonderful tool that saves me major time. GHOST takes snapshots of your entire system and u can "go-back" to that point without spending countless hours trying to figure out what's wrong. Highly recommended. Semantec should pay me for advetisement!
 

melsmusic

New member
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
5,178
Points
0
I'd recommend just paying for Kaspersky Internet Security 6. You won't look back and you can pick up OEM copies around the place, with 12 months subscriptions. Includes a very good firewall, spam, spyware, everything you need.

I'd also recommend a full recovery, instead of the restore which I think is a bit of a joke. It didn't restore back to a point that I'd selected. The program I'd downloaded after the restore date was still there !

I used Zone Alarm + Avast on my old PC which I switch on about once per month. I ditched Avast as it slowed it down, but that could be my PC as it's older now. iTunes 7.1 runs fine though, if that's any indication.

On the old PC I don't use often I now use AVG which doesn't slow it down, and Windows firewall as it's rarely on the internet anyway.

And are you receiving any error code with your BSOD? If you are you could try googling it.

It depends on how often you use this PC. Is it your main PC on the net all the time? If so, I'd restore, and buy Kaspersky. Best thing I ever did.

And if you are interested in Ghost, it's symantec here, just in case you have trouble finding it. I've heard it's good, but I haven't used it.
 
Last edited:

GadgetGuru72

New member
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
2,500
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles, CA
bobb-mini said:
Surprised! :)

Gosh, it could be anything. That's a bad thing of running many things in a general purpose machine. I would try XP's Restore feature, Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. It's supposed to "go-back" to when everything was working b4r. No guarantee, and be sure to backup any personal data b4r this procedure.

HF, as mentioned, is a long term thing, u wanna look into that when you have the time and not now under the gun.

Even b4r a HF, I recommend a tool like Semantec's GHOST. If does what System Restore does but GUARANTEED to take you back when it worked. It's a wonderful tool that saves me major time. GHOST takes snapshots of your entire system and u can "go-back" to that point without spending countless hours trying to figure out what's wrong. Highly recommended. Semantec should pay me for advetisement!
Unlike a restore on an iPod, I've had nothing but horrible, horrible luck when attempting a system restore on my computer. The two times I've tried it in the past I ended up in a worse position than when I started. For me, going anywhere near a system restore is a last, last, last, last, last and final option.

When I have some free time this weekend I'll mess around with it a bit and follow the instructions to remove the last little bits of Zone Alarm and see if that helps.


melsmusic said:
I'd recommend just paying for Kaspersky Internet Security 6. You won't look back and you can pick up OEM copies around the place, with 12 months subscriptions. Includes a very good firewall, spam, spyware, everything you need.

I'd also recommend a full recovery, instead of the restore which I think is a bit of a joke. It didn't restore back to a point that I'd selected. The program I'd downloaded after the restore date was still there !

I used Zone Alarm + Avast on my old PC which I switch on about once per month. I ditched Avast as it slowed it down, but that could be my PC as it's older now. iTunes 7.1 runs fine though, if that's any indication.

On the old PC I don't use often I now use AVG which doesn't slow it down, and Windows firewall as it's rarely on the internet anyway.

And are you receiving any error code with your BSOD? If you are you could try googling it.

It depends on how often you use this PC. Is it your main PC on the net all the time? If so, I'd restore, and buy Kaspersky. Best thing I ever did.

And if you are interested in Ghost, it's symantec here, just in case you have trouble finding it. I've heard it's good, but I haven't used it.
I've heard good things about Kaspersky, and I certainly wouldn't mind paying for a subscription, *BUT* if the problem really is related to some "left over" Zone Alarm files causing a conflict with the new software-based firewall, then switching to another software-based firewall is not a guaranteed fix.

I'll post again on Monday morning after I've had a chance to attempt to remove the left over Zone Alarm stuff. Hopefully that will solve my problems.

Thanks for all the advice.
 

melsmusic

New member
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
5,178
Points
0
GadgetGuru72 said:
Unlike a restore on an iPod, I've had nothing but horrible, horrible luck when attempting a system restore on my computer. The two times I've tried it in the past I ended up in a worse position than when I started. For me, going anywhere near a system restore is a last, last, last, last, last and final option.

When I have some free time this weekend I'll mess around with it a bit and follow the instructions to remove the last little bits of Zone Alarm and see if that helps.




I've heard good things about Kaspersky, and I certainly wouldn't mind paying for a subscription, *BUT* if the problem really is related to some "left over" Zone Alarm files causing a conflict with the new software-based firewall, then switching to another software-based firewall is not a guaranteed fix.

I'll post again on Monday morning after I've had a chance to attempt to remove the left over Zone Alarm stuff. Hopefully that will solve my problems.

Thanks for all the advice.
Can relate on the restore, which is why I suggested a full recovery or reload you OS, guru. Nothing like starting off fresh. ;)

Unfortunately even if you were to go and delete the files, find the exact removal of Zone Alarm, you're not guaranteed full success. Registry files are changed, and these are never cleaned up completely. It's why I don't download a bunch of programs, and if I do download a troublesome program, I usually reload my OS in the near future and never go near it again.

An incorrect driver installed on mine was causing me to BSOD a few times earlier this year. Even my attempts to fully delete the drivers and load the correct ones, didn't quite get my notebook back to it's tip-top speed. After I reloaded my OS and picked up the correct box for my D-Link drivers, I've never BSOD'd.

Good luck with it. Two firewall installed, even though you thought one was completely removed, at one time could certainly cause your BSOD. The error code on the BSOD could bring up some results if it's a common thing.
 

GadgetGuru72

New member
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
2,500
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I know it's not guaranteed either way. But, starting fresh with a clean OS install would be a monumental task, as I have quite a few programs I'd need to reinstall and reconfigure.

I guess I'll just take it one step at a time and try to get it resolved.
 

melsmusic

New member
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
5,178
Points
0
GadgetGuru72 said:
Yeah, I know it's not guaranteed either way. But, starting fresh with a clean OS install would be a monumental task, as I have quite a few programs I'd need to reinstall and reconfigure.

I guess I'll just take it one step at a time and try to get it resolved.
That it is. Back up everything, reload all your programs. But it's so nice when it's done and your PC is much faster....

I've done it 2 or 3 times this year, so now I actually have it down to a fine act and went & did my husbands & sons. I like the fresh clean start. Windows needs it from time to time unfortunately. :rolleyes:
 

GadgetGuru72

New member
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
2,500
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles, CA
melsmusic said:
...so now I actually have it down to a fine act ...
You wanna swing by and fix mine, then? ;)

You've been wanting to take a short trip to Los Angeles anyway, right? ;)

Granted, the airfare from Australia to Los Angeles would be more than the cost of a new computer, but it would be the nice thing to do ... ;)

I'll be waiting ....
 

melsmusic

New member
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
5,178
Points
0
I'd actually love to do it for you guru. I did my neighbours too. But somehow I think my family would miss me, as in notice me not here, and wonder where I went. :D
 

GadgetGuru72

New member
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
2,500
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles, CA
melsmusic said:
I'd actually love to do it for you guru. I did my neighbours too. But somehow I think my family would miss me, as in notice me not here, and wonder where I went. :D
Oh well. It was worth a shot. ;)
 
Top