Anybody had luck returning their scratched nano?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

loGan

Ipod therefore I am
Hi guys, I'm not normally one to be negative. I've been an iPod disciple since the very early days and the nano is my fourth iPod but quite frankly I am dismayed that after only a week of cosseted use it looks like a piece of crap.

Lookign around I am not alone and you are probably all sick of these posts so I am not going to dwell on the issue but I wondered if anybody had managed to return their nano based on the fact that the shine can be rubbed off with silk and the screen becomes unreadable?

T07N

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050928/tc_nm/apple_nano_dc

Anyone know how I can return this ipod nano? I'm hoping they are shipping out new stuff that won't scratch so easily! All the scratches that are on this black ipod nano came from the fabric inside my pockets! I never leave the nano along with anything else.

kespodder

McLounger
that article isn't about it scratching easily, they're discussing the issues with the sreen cracking.

FeelTheFire

they address in the press release the issue of scratching and say that it is a cosmetic damage only and not a warranty issue. Also, apparently it's the same material as is used on the regular iPods and if you read the fifty million pages about scratches and how to remove them, you'll see this is not a new problem.

get a case. Seriously. It's going to scratch and there is no product on earth that you can return when you're not happy with its looks.

T07N

Jervous said:
I returned mine and got a new one :)
How? What did you tell them? Mine is very scratched up and I never even dropped or grind it against anything but clothe.

NiTRO

Pleather BarcaLounger
FeelTheFire said:
they address in the press release the issue of scratching and say that it is a cosmetic damage only and not a warranty issue. Also, apparently it's the same material as is used on the regular iPods...
That may very well be true but as I brought up in an earlier thread, the demos of the nanos that I saw in the Apple store were much more scratched than the regular demo iPods. I don't understand why this would be if they were made of the same material. I think the nanos might have a clear acrylic sheet over the whole front & maybe this has something to do with it? I dunno. Nonetheless, the nanos in the store looked so bad and If I were in the market, I don't think I'd get one until this issue was resolved. I've had 2 iPods and have felt that while they were somewhat vulnerable to scratching, they were easily protected with a case. My wife uses hers without a case, throws it in her purse everyday and it still looks significantly better than the nanos I saw in the store.

T07N

These nanos are getting light scratches by putting it into your pocket (without keys, coins, or anything else).

soren

Viral Mutation said:
Just lie. And say "It Skips songs and crashes."
exactly... just like my buddy did after a week of babying it and it still looked like crap

or ppl could have paid under $10 for a vinyl cover like i did.... simple solution. and i only bought the vinyl cover so when its in my case it wont get ANY scratches. which is kinda silly since i will never see the true ipod :(

mdscriber3

Pod obsessed
I have a sneaking feeling about those demo Nanos at the Apple Store. Granted when they were first released, it was noticed that they were scratched after being on the floor for only a few hours but now, since many have heard about it's "easily scratching" issue, they're probably going up to the demos and saying ... "uh, I wonder if it scratches as easily as they say they do," and running something like nails and such over it. The Nanos at an Apple Store near me do look really, really bad when I was there this week. But I did notice with my husband's black Nano that Dust + Nano = hairline scratches. I clean it once a week with iKlear and it is still in pretty good shape.

Pam :)

NiTRO

Pleather BarcaLounger
mdscriber3 said:
I have a sneaking feeling about those demo Nanos at the Apple Store. Granted when they were first released, it was noticed that they were scratched after being on the floor for only a few hours but now, since many have heard about it's "easily scratching" issue, they're probably going up to the demos and saying ... "uh, I wonder if it scratches as easily as they say they do," and running something like nails and such over it. The Nanos at an Apple Store near me do look really, really bad when I was there this week. But I did notice with my husband's black Nano that Dust + Nano = hairline scratches. I clean it once a week with iKlear and it is still in pretty good shape.

Pam :)
Honestly, I was in the Apple store one week after the nanos' release (well in advance of the bad pub) to buy a car charger for my iPod and I saw the nanos which I thought were totally cool save the fact that they were scratched as badly as they were.

finiteyoda

Jaged said:
You can return clothing if your not happy with its looks.
try returning clothing after you've worn it for several weeks and ripped it up some. i guarantee you the store won't be too happy :) its not like apple's going to be able to sell your heavily scratched nano to somebody else.

WanderingSoul

By returning non-defective Nanos, you are only guaranteeing higher prices in the future.

Last edited:

loGan

Ipod therefore I am
I am going to give it a try because the quality of the finish on these things is not acceptable. To the person above who said it is the same material as other iPods. I disagree. Neither my 3g or Mini have anything like the the damage I have to my nano and I have owned them for years.

There is something wrong with the shiny finish of the nano which is simply not durable enough. I can wipe my 3g, mini or Mobile phone on my shirt and they look good as new. My nano however is permenantly scarred after only 2 weeks and I wouldn't wipe it on a babies bottom for fear of more damage.

WanderingSoul

Its the same material as the 4th gen, dunno about the 3rd, and definately not the mini, as the mini is annodyzed aluminium

MacCheetah3

MN, USA or also known as Hell frozen over
Website
www.click2debug.com
Hi
It's the same thing, no reason why it wouldn't be. Anything shiny black (car, jewelry, ...) will show scratches and even dust in an instant. Both will show scratches more than the regular iPods because of the size.

#1 They are so small you will put them more places, like pockets, and even without a case

#2 Even a small scratch looks huge and noticeable on an object that size.