Any "trick" to listen to non-music video as audio?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Code Monkey

On clickwheel iPods, my understanding is that if you browsed through the Music menu hierarchy that you could play back video content as audio (I'm going by something Jesse pointed out in another thread). I never actually used this feature myself on my clickwheel iPods since there really wasn't anything else to do but play back something...

Not the case on my new touch where I can check email, forums, play a game, write a note, etc.. Alas, the touch will not allow me to leave a video playing in the background but insists on pausing it before I can go do something else. So, is there some way that I am missing that would allow me to play a video back as audio short of having to designate my podcasts as "Music Videos" in their media kind?

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
It's not as convenient, but after you start playing a video and then exit the iPod app you can double-tap the Home button and slide over to the playback controls to start it up again, at which point it will keep playing in the background unless you go back into the iPod app and out again (in which case you can just repeat the process to start it up again).

This works for any type of video content -- not only podcasts and music videos but even Movies and TV Shows.

Code Monkey

Actually, that's more convenient for my purposes. Usually, all I want to do is pop into my email or check for facebook or forum posts of interest or play 10 minutes of some dumb game before returning to it as video.

Thanks, been banging my head trying to figure out how to do it on my own and searches returned a bunch of stuff about audio in video, but nothing on this matter.

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
Yeah, the original iPhone OS actually worked much like the click wheel iPods -- you could pull up a music video or podcast from a normal playlist and it would play only the audio portion of it, which was quite a bit more convenient since they'd just continue playing, although I see your point about being able to easily switch back to watching it as a video. At any rate, this was changed to the current behaviour back in iOS 2.0.