• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Any PC> Mac> PC again people here?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

xboxman

Expelliarmus!
Hi all, I am a recent convert. Yes I ditched my PC over a month ago for a Mac. I watched all of Apple's Mac Vs PC adds, read through millions of reasons why I should switch to a Mac and it fueled my desire to have one of those sleek notebooks...I finally made the plunge on a hot summers day in Florida, the day after I touched down and a day before I hit Disneyland to be precise.

So how many converts are there on this forum? Also what made you switch and is the grass actually greener on the other side?

JazzyMac

Jazzy Smooth
It really all depends. Apple has it's "downs", but the interface is so simple! I use Apple at home and the pc at work and to be honest I still like both.

I originally switched because I was part of this website and they kept talking about how great the mac was. When my pc finally went on the blink (well the power supply needed to be replaced...:)), I went ahead and made the jump. My next computer will probably also be an Apple. Plus the fact that you can now load Windows onto the mac makes it a better deal also.

Ethan120

I just recently bought a macbook.
It is my first mac that wasn't something like a hand-me-down powermac 7200.
but I find it absurd to only use one os if you own two.
I have a desktop windows machine and I use it just as often as my macbook.
Although I have pretty much moved my Pro Tools system to my Mac but I still use it for some plug-ins that aren't available on a mac.

JMG

asdf
I made a partial switch last year with a Macbook Pro. Overall I like it. Visually, OSX is stronger than Windows but the file sorting methods need alot of work (Why can't I sort folders before files?). There is no thumbnail mode either for picture folders, I have to use icon mode, which is useless in folders that don't consists of pictures because the icons are too big. There are a few other idiosyncrasies. I love the stability of OSX and the fact that I don't need anti-virus progs, but I find myself more productive on a windows machine. I can move files faster overall.

As far as hardware, the MBP comes with all the bells and whistles, but the build quality sucks imho. To the untrained eye it looks quite good, but white spots appeared on my screen a few months after ownership (and I use a very nice bag to keep my laptop in), the cover for the bottom of the monitor broke off, some of the keys look uneven, and the screen is easily warped.

I will probably get another apple after this laptop becomes too obsolete, but the build quality better be better because I cannot afford to let applecare take my laptop away for a few weeks for some stupid broken cover thingy.

xboxman

Expelliarmus!
Thanks for all the replies guys.

JMC I am glad that someone else feels the same way. I too made a partial switch by buying a Macbook Pro while still having use of my Windows machine. The points you brought up matched what I had in mind almost perfectly.

One thing I miss on here, is the normal Windows Preview thing, I was making up an eBay auction the other day and was trying to get a decent preview going on here where I could see almost screen sized shots while being able to browse the rest of the folder using the arrow keys. In the end I gave up and done it on my IBM.

hyroboarder

After I bought the new imac, the only time I've been on my windows machine was to transfer files over. The only down the mac has in my opinion is the amount of software available for each. This doesn't really make a LOT of trouble for me, I love using final cut, aperature etc. which are way better than... windows movie maker lol.

kylo4

I made a partial switch as well getting a Macbook. I really enjoyed it at first but after awhile realized it was just way too limiting for my taste and that it offered up some flashy programs like iPhoto and that was it. I've gone back to using Windows PC and the Macbook has sat there for 2 months without being touched. I feel like money was wasted tbh.

Aceon6

Barca Lounger
Partial switch to report here, too. I've been on and provided support for Wintel systems for years going back to the DOS days. I was MS certified for Windows support up until XP was released. My desktop is a Dell.

A couple of years ago, I bought a low end iBook for travel and it does everything I need. My next purchase will be a fully loaded MacBook or PowerBook but I'll need to keep a Wintel setup for working from home.

hyroboarder

kylo4 said:
I made a partial switch as well getting a Macbook. I really enjoyed it at first but after awhile realized it was just way too limiting for my taste and that it offered up some flashy programs like iPhoto and that was it. I've gone back to using Windows PC and the Macbook has sat there for 2 months without being touched. I feel like money was wasted tbh.
Any chance of selling your macbook?

hexonxonx

My switch to Apple started when I bought my iPhone. I was so impressed with how well the iphone worked that a week after buying it, I bought a macBook Pro. There is nothing that I can't do on the MacBook Pro that I couldn't do on the XP laptops that i still own. I'm just waiting for the time that I can get a second MacBook Pro and I will dump my other laptops completly.

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
hyroboarder said:
This doesn't really make a LOT of trouble for me, I love using final cut, aperature etc. which are way better than... windows movie maker lol.
I'm not exactly a big Windows fan here but do note that Final Cut and Aperture are professional programmes you pay more money for as compared to Windows Movie Maker which is free bundled software. There are equivalents on the Windows platform (i.e: Adobe Premiere and Lightroom) which could give those two a run for the money.

Of course, iPhoto and iMovie beat the socks off their Windows free equivalents so I agree with you in general.

Last edited:

Sparkee

I still use my WinXP machine, but mostly for ripping and encoding video since it is faster than my iBook. I will probably replace the iBook with a 17" MacBook Pro when Leopard is released at which time I will clean up the computer desk by retiring the Windows box. I don't really miss the preview feature in Finder, I just manage my photos through iPhoto which is the way I beleive Steve Jobs wants it. I think it is his intentions to keep Macs as simple as possible, which is both good and bad. However I beleive there are some pretty good replacements for Finder that can add more functionality.

One of the things I like is how AppleScript and Automator can automate processes between different programs. Automator is indispensable when it comes to renaming a folder full of videos and adding some actions to the right click context menu. Applescript adds features to programs Apple seems to think we don't need as well as automating mundane tasks.

All in all I just really like the feel of how the OS and programs run on my Mac.

Last edited: