Any Issues Upgrading from 10.7 to 12.3?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
I am still using iTunes v10.7 because I hated v11 and how they changed the viewing of albums. I am considering buying a new iTouch 128kb and it requires v12 - are there any potential issues I need to look out for when making the jump from v10.7 to v12.3.4? Will my iTunes library still be in the same place (C:\Users\MyMusic\iTunes on Windows PC)?

I know to backup up my entire library before upgrading - I do this regularly, but have been using v10.7 for years now. Thanks

cjmnews

Staff member
The UI changed a bit. You have to go through some tweaks to get it to look similar to iTunes 10. Song view is what make is usable for me. The album viewing in my opinion is more obnoxious.

You can even get the Podcast page to look similar.

The music is in the same place that I put it in 2004.

They moved some of the commands around a bit so finding Convert ID3 Tags and make AAC Version is a bit more challenging as they are no longer in the Right Click context menu, they are in the File menu. Creating playlists has moved a bit too.

It's really the same thing, just harder to use. Outside of that it seems pretty much the same thing, organized strangely.

They should really look at their actual user base, not their intended user base for the design decisions. I know no one in my physical life that uses iTunes Music, iTunes Match, iTunes Connect or Genius. So why are they so prevalent in the application? Why do we have to configure our system to hide cloud music so we don't see duplicates? Why can't app updates automatically download?

Yes I support the use of the application, that does not mean I love the application.

Some of their use cases are weird too. Like not being able to sync an iPod while iTunes Match is in use.

Overall it will be a slight learning curve but you'll get used to it. There is not really an option when you want to buy a new device.

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
Thanks for the feedback. I know when iTunes came out v11 everyone on the iLounge howled in anger - you would you have thought they'd have heard it, but evidently not. I agree I know no one who uses Music, Genius, Connect or Match. The only time I ever use the store is to listen to a track to decide if I want to buy the physical CD elsewhere.

I've played around a lot with CopyTrans Manager - and it's excellent for some things, but I'd prefer to stick with iTunes. I guess I'm fracked if I need to buy an iTouch ... I just wish they'd have kept the Classic.

cjmnews

Staff member
Even if they made a new Classic, it would require the iTunes upgrade.

Since you are skipping versions you get to miss some of the stumbles along the way when they removed features that people use, and we had to find alternatives (they are back), or had buttons become useless in certain modes, and we had to use other buttons to get back to usable modes (fixed).