Announcement: Bookmarks Manager Software for Windows now available

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
dordale said:
I see a list of all my bookmarks in the upper left window--but no indication as to which file they refer to.
Sounds like the same bug - I'd love you to run the diagnostics (under "Help") in the latest version. My software clearly isn't correctly picking up the file information.

Also a quick question...if I set more than one bookmark in a file, how does the iPod know which one to access when I start playing the file? Is there anyway to choose which bookmark I'd like the iPod to start at?
[/B]
There's only one "official" bookmark, which the iPod knows about. The others are saved separately by my software in a file called 'Bookmarks.lst' in the Notes directory. You can choose to make one of your saved bookmarks the "official" one which the iPod will pay attention to by selecting it in MarksMan and then sending the changed bookmark to the iPod.

dordale

David--
e-mailed my diagnostic results and a screenshot to you.

Let me know if you have any trouble receiving.

dordale :)

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
MarksMan now actually WORKS!

Thanks to Dordale, who persisted in testing various intermediary versions, I can now announce that version 0.2.7 of MarksMan is available on the web site at http://www.rightword.com.au/products/marksman.

This version fixes the problem which was preventing many users seeing their bookmarkable files. I'm embarrassed to admit that the problem lay in a change Apple made to the iTunes database format in the last version of iTunes. The embarrassment is that I hadn't bothered to update to the latest version myself, and so wasn't seeing the problem.

Could I ask those who have tried MarksMan and been disappointed to try again and let me know what they think?

On another tack - I'm tempted to port MarksMan to Visual Basic 6. This would simplify installation for those who don't have (or don't want) the .NET framework on their systems. Is there anyone who has been inhibited or prevented from trying MarksMan because of the .NET issue?

Last edited:

Podunk

David, I'm looking forward to trying it out but I"ll be unavailable for the next few weeks.

I'm not opposed to the .NET thing, but since I already have it, but I can see where it comlicates the installation for anyone who doesn't.

Last edited:
I downloaded the new file and it works great. I can now see my list of audio books and was able to print them out. I like the software. I was wishing there was something like this since I have several audio books and like to keep them on my iPod along with my audio bible. I switch up between them to listen to and needed an easy way to keep up with bookmarks when I was listening to music instead. Thank you. :)

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
...I have several audio books and like to keep them on my iPod along with my audio bible.
It seems to me that the audio Bible would be a classic candidate for my idea of someone using MarksMan to publish a list of "chapter stop" bookmarks for popular works.

I don't know how your audio Bible is organised, but using MarksMan one could publish a set of bookmarks for each book or chapter in the Bible, enabling audio users to quickly jump to a particular part they wanted to review.

I'll try it. I have one from audible.com - The Message (it's in 3 parts) - and I just found out they now have the NIV available for download. I will be purchasing this and I will notate the bookmarks for each chapter and post it.

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
honeybee1236 said:
I'll try it. I have one from audible.com - The Message (it's in 3 parts) - and I just found out they now have the NIV available for download. I will be purchasing this and I will notate the bookmarks for each chapter and post it.
Every chapter would be a lot of work, I would have thought; but each book (eg Exodus, Book of Job, Gospel of St Luke, etc) ought to be do-able. I suggest you locate each start point, then export the bookmarks list, and I will create a section of the MarksMan web site where users can download such files for import.

I've been playing with an Excel spreadsheet which would help to roughly locate a particular page in an audio book, based on the total number of pages in the printed book and the total length of the audio file. Assuming that on average the narrator reads at a steady pace, this should allow one to at least approximately find the correct point. I'll tidy this up and post it to the MarksMan web site.

(Second thoughts - this would be a nifty tool to build into MarksMan itself. I'll do that, but it will take a little longer).

Last edited:

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
OK, I've added in the bookmark estimation tool I mentioned earlier. It's in the latest version (0.2.8) on the web site.

What the tool does is, if you have a printed copy of a certain book such as the Bible, lets you put in the total number of printed pages, then the page number you want to find. Based on the total length of the audio file, I then calculate approximately the bookmark time for the wanted page.

It's not VERY accurate, but it should enable you to locate a particular page to within five minutes or so.

It was a bit tricky to do after I remembered that some audio books come in several parts and that the parts are not always equal lengths, but I figured out a way around that.

((later edit))

Now up to version (0.2.9) - you can now save file lengths, etc out of the Advanced Estimation tool, and also do a reverse estimation, that is, estimate the page in the book you are up to based on your current bookmark. Thanks to John-Mark Stensvaag for this suggestion.

Last edited:

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
MarksMan joins iPodSoft

I'm really pleased to announce that I've joined the great team of people at iPodSoft, who have a number of really useful products for the iPod and iTunes, including iPod Agent.

MarksMan will now be part of the iPodSoft line-up, and I'm discussing the possibility of working with one of the other developers to come up with a Mac OS X version of the software. This, however, may be a couple of months away once the Windows version of MarksMan settles down and incorporates the good feedback and suggestions I've been getting.

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
New feature!

Wait until you see the latest feature I've added to MarksMan, which is so blindingly simple, and yet so really useful (he says modestly).

I was out on my morning constitutional (a brisk six kilometre walk), listening to a long novel on my iPod. Stopped to buy something, started off again, and found I'd lost my bookmark (maybe I'd touched the 'Back' key). MarksMan was no use to me out there, so I had to hunt back and forth to find my lost place - all iPod audio book users are more than familiar with this exercise.

So I returned to the office determined to do something about it. The result - MarksMan now writes a 'human readable' file in the Notes directory, containing the current bookmarks (when it was last run, of course). So if I lose my bookmark again, all I need to is scroll to the Notes directory, open 'Bookmarks', read the last bookmark (in the format 7 hrs 24 min 10 secs), mentally add on the approximate amount of time I've been listening, then go back to the audio book and use the scroll wheel to get to that time . No more tedious hunting backwards and forwards!

I'm rapt with this! Why didn't I think of it before?

Last edited:

framegod

darn it! i want this to work!

hi,

this seems to be a very promising tool to use with my new 4G ipod...
unfortunately i receive the following error message when launching marksman: [internal error] "error while trying to create marksman folder".
i am using the latest software & updates and tried both having my pod mounted as hdd and just simply connected via itunes. ah yes: XP SP2, .net framework IS installed.
<sigh....>

thanks for any help on this one!

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
Re: darn it! i want this to work!

framegod said:
hi,

this seems to be a very promising tool to use with my new 4G ipod...
unfortunately i receive the following error message when launching marksman: [internal error] "error while trying to create marksman folder".
This bug should now be fixed in the latest version 0.3.2 of MarksMan, now available on the iPodSoft web site.

Last edited:

kschonha

After my initial installation of MarksMan v0.3.2, I attempted to edit existing bookmarks, but received an error message that stated, "Failed to apply change" (or something similar to that).

So, I uninstalled MSDotNetFramework and MarksMan and rebooted. Then I reinstalled MSDotNetFramework and rebooted. Then I reinstalled MarksMan and rebooted again.

The performance of this program on my PC (Windows XP SP2 / Compaq EVO D530 1.7Gb / 500Mb RAM) is extremely sluggish. The app took approximately 20 minutes to launch. When the interface finally came up, I edited a bookmark and clicked on "Send change to iPod". The response immediately indicated "Update applied". After clicking the OK button, it took approximately another 20 minutes before the hourglass disappeared again.

While the hourglass remains on screen, a check of Windows Task Manager indicates that MarksMan is consuming between 77% - 98% of system resources (usually remaining near the upper level of that range).

Any suggestions on what to do to improve performance?

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
Right at this moment, I'm completely baffled, unless it's something wierd caused by the security provisions of XP SP2 (I run Win 2000 myself).

On my similarly configured PC, MarksMan mostly sits in idle mode, taking up an extremely small portion of system resources. And it operates very snappily - opens within about 10 seconds, reads the iTunesDB in a couple of seconds, and sending a change to the iPod is essentially instantaneous.

kschonha , it sounds like the main issue for you is when MarksMan attempts to read the iTunesDB from the iPod, taking an inordinate amount of time to do so. Do you by chance have a very large number of songs/books on your iPod? MarksMan has to read the entire directory, both music and audiobooks combined.

Anyone else having this kind of performance problem? If so, under what operating system?

Last edited:

kschonha

David:

Thanks for the fast reply. I have a 40Gb 3G iPod which is packed with 9,490 mp3 music files and 2 audible.com books (comprised of four file segments).

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
OK. Very large databases of songs were taking an inordinate amount of time to load (my own rather modest collection wasn't showing the problem).

I think I now have a fix for this. Should also speed up loading data from iPod for all users. The latest version is 0.3.3, on the iPodSoft web site.

Thanks to all those MarksMan users who are reporting these issues or making suggestions - it really helps to improve the software.

kschonha

David:

Wow! The fixes you applied work great for me. I hope everybody else's experience is similar.

The program now loads in a few seconds and very quickly reads in the bookmarks from my iPod. Changes to the existing bookmarks are applied in seconds as well.

This is a fantastic little application! I especially like the bookmark list added to the iPod's Notes folder. That will save a lot of frustration when we accidentally blow away our bookmarks.

The support you provided in such a timely manner was unbelievable. Great job!

-- Kevin