Announcement: Bookmarks Manager Software for Windows now available

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
Although it's still in Beta phase (version 0.2.1), I'm now pleased to announce that my MarksMan Bookmarks Manager software is now available for download.

Download it from this page. Windows only, I'm sorry. I'm happy to make source code available to anyone who wants to try a conversion for the Mac.

The software will let you:

* list all bookmark-able files currently on the iPod
* for each such file, show the current bookmark time if there is one
* allow you to change the bookmark time to any time you like
* store past bookmarks (saves current marks each time you run it)
* save named bookmarks for a particular file (eg "Chapter 1")
* apply saved bookmarks by changing current bookmark on iPod
* print out all bookmark data
* import and export saved bookmarks (eg for named chapter lists)
* safely preserve your current bookmark while reviewing earlier parts of the book
* even remove the book files from the iPod, or reformat the iPod, knowing that you can still recover your reading point

The software is freeware at present and will probably stay that way, but donations are welcomed.

Hope you can give it a try and find it useful!

Last edited:

Podunk

Sounds pretty cool. Hey can you guys all try this and let David know how well it works? ;)

dordale

David--

Do you know if this will work for 3g ipods or does it only work on 4gs?

Thanks for your efforts :) :) :)

dordale

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
dordale said:

Do you know if this will work for 3g ipods or does it only work on 4gs?
I own a 3G iPod myself, so I know it works on that. Provided Apple hasn't changed the structure of the iTunesDB database that's stored on the iPod, it should work with any version of the device (at least, I hope so!).

Podunk

David, I just downloaded the app. Quick questions. Does this allow you to set/keep multiple bookmarks in the same file? Will it work on .m4b as well as Audible Audio (.aa) files?

EDIT: Oh, I can see now from your screen capture that it does Audible Audio too. Cool.

Check your PM too.

Thanks.

OK! I downloaded and tried it and I get an error message:

"An unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click 'Continue', the application will ignore this error & attempt to continue. If you click, 'Quit', the application will be shut down immediately.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

The details box opens when I highlight what is in the 'Bookmarkable files' window. I was trying to get the books on my iPod to show up in that window. The only thing that is in there is: [BM at 0:0:5].

Details Box:

"To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this application or machine (machine.config) must have the JITDebugging set in the system.windows.forms section. The application must also be compiled with debugging enabled.
<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true"/>
</configuration>
When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine rather than being handled by the dialog.

The iPod was connected and showing in the iTunes source window and I have 3 books currently on the iPod with one of them bookmarked.

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
honeybee1236 said:
OK! I downloaded and tried it and I get an error message:

"An unhandled exception has occurred in your application. ...
Thanks for trying the software and for your detailed bug report. I'll check it out and post a fix as soon as I am able. I did say MarksMan was in Beta! (but I had hoped it was more stable than that).

Regards,

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
Quick note to all: in order for MarksMan to run, you MUST have the Microsoft .NET framework installed (this is like the old Visual Basic Runtimes, but much bigger, alas). Download the .NET framework installer from the site mentioned on the MarksMan page.

Unfortunately, the .NET framework is a big download - 25MB. But there are quite a lot of programs around these days which are built on this framework, and you'll only need to download it once.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads

Look for ".NET framework" there. (It's one of the most popular downloads).

Without the framework you'll get a message like:

Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (Oxc0000135).

Last edited:

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
honeybee1236 said:
I forgot to add that I am using Windows XP w/SP2 and I have .NET Framework 1.1 installed.
Thanks, Honeybee. Your bug is a more serious issue. I've now uploaded a new version (0.2.3) which MAY fix your problem (or maybe not).

Just for the record, I have had at least one other person successfully use the software for a while (so I know it works on iPods other than my own).

OK, I've downloaded the new version. My question, is the books I have on my iPod suppose to all show up in the top window? I noticed this in the picture on the website and my books will not show up. I have a total of three books currently on myPod. One has 1 file, the 2nd has 11 parts and the 3rd has 3 parts and none of them will show up.

Also, I do have iTunes 4.7 and my iPod is set to manual sync.

Podunk

david1951 said:
Quick note to all: in order for MarksMan to run, you MUST have the Microsoft .NET framework installed (this is like the old Visual Basic Runtimes, but much bigger, alas). Download the .NET framework installer from the site mentioned on the MarksMan page.

Unfortunately, the .NET framework is a big download - 25MB. But there are quite a lot of programs around these days which are built on this framework, and you'll only need to download it once.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads

Look for ".NET framework" there. (It's one of the most popular downloads).

Without the framework you'll get a message like:

Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (Oxc0000135).

I already have MS .net framework 1.1, but I got this error message.

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
parannoya said:
I already have MS .net framework 1.1, but I got this error message.
OK, then, I'm officially flummoxed!

Sorry about this. I don't have a clue what's going on and I'll need to do some research and get back to you.

((later edit to the above))

I did a google search and it really sounds as though the problem is still with your .NET framework installation. I found this:

-----------------------------------------------------

The following errors indicate that the Microsoft?? .NET Framework is either corrupted or not installed.

* Error: "The application failed to initialize properly"
* Error: "MSCOREE.DLL was not found"

Solution(s):

To solve this problem we suggest:

1. Remove the .NET Framework if it is installed and
2. Reinstall it [from the Microsoft link] or by running Windows Update from a computer connected to the Internet.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
honeybee1236 said:
My question, is the books I have on my iPod suppose to all show up in the top window? I noticed this in the picture on the website and my books will not show up. I have a total of three books currently on myPod. One has 1 file, the 2nd has 11 parts and the 3rd has 3 parts and none of them will show up.

Can you tell me what format your books are in?

MarksMan will only identify what it thinks are bookmarkable files. At present, it does this through the (admittedly dumb) method of checking the file extension. It accepts .aa and .m4b files, but no others. MP3 files, for example, won't show up (because you can't bookmark them).

And nor will .m4a files (normally converted AAC files which haven't had the extension changed).

Last edited:

Podunk

david1951 said:
OK, then, I'm officially flummoxed!

Sorry about this. I don't have a clue what's going on and I'll need to do some research and get back to you.

((later edit to the above))

I did a google search and it really sounds as though the problem is still with your .NET framework installation. I found this:

No apology necessary. OK, I'll give it a try later and report back.

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
honeybee1236 said:
1- is .m4 - protected AAC audio file
1- is .aa - Audible file
1- is .m4b - protected AAC audio file
Hmmmmm...... back to the drawing board, then. I wonder what's going on?

I wonder whether you would be prepared to run a diagnostic routine for me (once I write it!). I'm thinking of a tool which would just output a text file which you could then email me - it would just output some raw data as it searches your iPod, so that I can better figure out what is going on. Sounds like it will be a good idea for me to have that kind of tool (maybe I'll put it into the main software). I'll report back here if I can get this diagnostic tool written quickly.

Thanks for your patience, everybody. Maybe I should move MarksMan back to "Alpha" status? It's obviously still only at an "early Beta" phase. But I do think the software will be useful, and I've had good feedback from those who have managed to successfully install and run it.

((later edit))

OK, I've posted version 0.2.4. There's a choice under the Help menu called "Run Diagnostics". It should requery your iPod and throw up a dialog box with a long, long bit of text which reports on every song it found on the iPod (or if it can't find the iPod, it will tell you).

It would be useful if those having problems like Honeybee's could cut and paste all (or some of) this text and email it to me. Or just advise me in general terms what it says - you might not want me to know that your iPod is full of Barbara Cartland books and Enya albums, for example! ;)

Last edited:

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
Just a quick note to let you know that I probably won't be able to respond very rapidly here over the next week, due to other commitments. But please feel free to keep logging bugs and other problems (be nice to hear from someone who has managed to get the software going, though!).

dordale

David--

I don't know if I'm having the same problem as Honey Bee or not--I'm using version 0.2.4--

I see a list of all my bookmarks in the upper left window--but no indication as to which file they refer to.

For example I see " - (BM at 0:42:41)" as an entry. If I choose this entry, the selected file information on the right is blank except for "File length" and "Current book mark at". (It doesn't report any book, author, part, file, or type information). All files do have id tag information filled in.

I have both audible (.aa) files and "home-made" m4b files on my iPod. I'm running Win XP Professional SP2 and iTunes 4.7.

Thanks for all your efforts--What you're doing is very much appreciated!

Also a quick question...if I set more than one bookmark in a file, how does the iPod know which one to access when I start playing the file? Is there anyway to choose which bookmark I'd like the iPod to start at?

dordale :)

Last edited: