Amazon.com Wish List & Your Media Collection, Kindle, Audible Wish List

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

robert

Retired
Amazon's Wish List Useful for noting Kindle and audible.com:
The Kindle has led me to find a very valuable resource for all my books -- audio, Kindle, and print. Amazon's wish list allows Personal annotations. So, I am transferring my active wish list there. Visiting an Amazon book listing page, one can read more extensive reviews than at audible, determine if there is a Kindle and/or audible version, and click to add the book to my wish list. There I can place a note about versions available (audible and Kindle availability is at the top of each Amazon book listing page), content nature, source, warnings such as "marginal, need to preview," Unlike audible wish list where clicking on the book cover immediately brings up a book content description, one has to open a page or tab for the book to see a description. Wish features could be combined. I got my Kindle 2 Wed, the 25th - the day after shipping began. I love it and I am enjoying keeping two books going at the same time -- Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant on the Kindle - two volumes for $3.98; and Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese on my iPod.

In addition, one can get a free preview, two-chapter download sample of any Kindle book. There is also an on-line reader for previewing books. I believe these may be longer than the audible sample and a great way to preview Kindle or audible books prior to purchase. Nonetheless, listing to the narrator sample on audible can prevent purchasing an audio book with an intolerable narrator.

Amazon's Your Media Library contains [Edit: all the audible books which I have rated in My Recommendations - not all my audible purchases] and Amazon.com purchases since 1998:
I also discovered Amazon's "Your Media Library." This must be new, because every time I open it, it takes a different route or set of links to get there. Once into my "Your Media Library" it lists every audible.com [edit: only audible books which I have rated (in the my recommendations process) on on the Amazon site] and Amazon.com purchase I have made since 1998. The audible purchases are not designated as such. Unfortunately I have two accounts at Amazon, so my collection is not all in one place.

The drop down menu in the top right of any signed in Amazon.com page will get you, eventually (after lead page, sign in, etc.) to either your Wish List or Your Media Library. In the Media Library, one can delete, rank, open a specific work to a page on which notes can be made, move to gift list (which presumably takes the book out of criteria for Amazon's recommendations) and enter into sharing and discussing your collection.

I find that spending some time cleaning up (ranking, telling not to use in recommendations, checking not interested or own and rating to include in Amazon's my media, etc) Amazon's recommendations to me provides a useful source of researching potential purchases. In addition, looking at favorite books, checking out the "buyers also purchased" lists is a useful source for new books as well. The collection can be viewed by category by changing using the View drop down menu.

Cutting for Stone is excellent thus far. Complex story of a mission hospital and its staff in Ethiopia. It is not a religious book by any means and none of the doctors is a believer. Full of human frailties, extraordinary dedication and competence, and wonderful characters. Not even a third through it yet ( almost 24 hours in length), so I will give a report upon completion. Clara Callan was a disappointment.

I have yet to try an apparently large number of free books that will work on the Kindle. I believe that I could have gotten the Grant memoirs free. Nor have I felt any need to load an audible book onto my Kindle even though it is audible capable.

Amazon has bowed to the Guild and is backing off 100% availability of computerized voice of Kindle books-.
See WSJ article . I am not particularly impressed with the Kindle computerized voice though some playing around with female/male voice and speed regulation may improve it. Since the Kindle keeps pages and voice synched (bookmarked), it would be a nice way to listen to some of a book and read part of a book without the trouble of manually synching pages. If a child is having reading difficulties, the Kindle capability of showing a page that it is reading into earphones or speakers could possibly be a valuable learning tool.

As John Mark said, the Kindle is much more significant other friendly than ear plugs. But, there is a place for each -- when exercising or driving, a Kindle or book is not possible.

Last edited:

robert

Retired
Amazon not listing audible.com purchases in My Media

I now realize that the reason my audible.com purchases are included in Amazon.com my media most likely comes from my checking "I own this" in my Amazon recommendations list and then rating it.

Sorry