All in One Shareware to convert CD, MP3, WAV to bookmarking files and place in iTunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

robert

Retired
I am pleased to on behalf of David1951, who has gone to bed after an all nighter to finish the shareware coding, the following incredible $15 shareware that does it all! This is beta version, but tested by several of us iPodloungers. It is amazing in its simplicity and comprehensiveness. Congratulations and thank you, David!

EZGuide. All-in-one PC $15 Shareware. Merges, renames & converts CD, MP3, WAV to bookmarking & places in iTunes Library is located here

All-in-one MarkAble for PC Shareware merges, converts and renames mp3, audio CDs, wav (no wav merge), into bookmarking m4b iPod files, adding the resulting file(s) to your iTunes Library. Simply elegant and ideal for beginners. MarkAble selects the appropriate iTunes encoder and relieves the user of renaming and all file management functions required for creating bookmarking files in the iTunes Library. Fully functional, user-friendly, PC-only version of this $15 shareware of MarkAble is available for a free ten-day download and evaluation.

Mp3 Files. MarkAble merges selected mp3 files or entire folders containing mp3 files from CD, DVD, download, etc., into files with a targeted size of 120 MB, directs iTunes to convert the files to AAC m4a files, renames the files to m4b, and places the now bookmarking files into your iTunes Library.

Audio CD books. MarkAble offers the option of converting Audio book cda files into one bookmarking file for each track or one for each CD. Converting an entire CD into one m4b file requires an entirely MarkAble managed extra step (and more time) of iTunes converting the cda files to mp3 before merging them and converting into AAC files. The user can chose either the faster process of one m4b file for each track or slower one m4b file for each audio CD.

Wav files. MarkAble does not merge wav files, but directs iTunes to perform an AAC conversion on a wav file, renames the file, and adds the converted file to the iTunes Library. Creates one bookmarking file for each wav source file.

All-in-one MarkAble for PC Shareware is written by iPodlounger David1951. Dedicated to ka1inka, freshman lounger, whose request for the Ultimate Program inspired David. Robert, beta tester and co-author of the guide, has no financial interest whatsoever in this shareware.

Please post any comments, suggestions, complaints, etc., in this thread so that the guide does not get cluttered with beta version issues. Thank you.

Bugs or problems should be reported to: [email protected].

Last edited:

Stensvaag

Law Prof
Website
soli.inav.net
Bravo for New MarkAble Shareware!

Just wanted to add my thanks to David for the terrific new MarkAble shareware program for creating bookmarkable audio books. I, too, have been beta testing this, and am very pleased with the results.

Thanks, also, to Robert, for the excellent "how-to" instructions.

robert

Retired
Re: Bravo for New MarkAble Shareware!

Stensvaag said:
Just wanted to add my thanks to David for the terrific new MarkAble shareware program for creating bookmarkable audio books. I, too, have been beta testing this, and am very pleased with the results.

And thanks to Stensvaag who was the first to post this issue here in iPodlounge Books and Spoken Word forum and suggested basic solutions as well as patiently providing many, many of the answers incorporated into the guides. Nice to have a community of users helping each other as so many have contributed to the m4b solutions. Now, if we could just get newbies to search for and read the guides. :D

Podunk, fka Parannoya and I may scream if another user asks "How do I get the m4a or mp3 files renamed?" Now we have a very ready and simple answer.

And a hats off to audible.com, without whom we probably would not have discovered audio books for the iPod from which to have created this supplementary format. For all the m4b guides and discussion, imho, audible.com remains the best, least expensive, and easiest source of audio books.

Robert

Last edited:

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
And _I_ need to give my heartfelt thanks to all of the beta testers, who were full of encouragement and support (as well as bug reports!).

Particular thanks to robert for writing the User Guide and organising all of these sticky posts.

Please send any bug reports to me at - support @ rightword . com . au .

dordale

I'd like to add my thanks to David for this program--I've been a beta tester as well, and I heartily recommend Markableto anyone who owns a pc and an iPod and listens to audiobooks.

The program works great and is a great timesaver!

Thanks David--and thanks Robert for the user guide!

dordale:)

Anachronism

I haven't tried the program yet but...

The guide says the target size is 120MB, does this mean if you select a lower bit rate the files will be longer but still ~120mb?

If someone can figure out how to add chapter breaks and this software could add them in between merged files it would be the ultimate audiobook tool. As it is it looks like it should be great, Thanks for making it.

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
Anachronism said:
The guide says the target size is 120MB, does this mean if you select a lower bit rate the files will be longer but still ~120mb?
Here I confess that I've just made an arbitrary decision.

It just works like this: I add up the total size of the MP3 files. I then divide by 200 MB and round off the result. That's the number of files I recommend.

Why 200MB? Because on my system the MP3 files I have compress down as AAC to about 120MB for every 200MB of source MP3 files. Very arbitrary, because other people may have MP3 files at higher or lower bit rates than me.

Why 120MB? Seems like a good safe number to me. I don't mind having two or three files per audibook and I'd reather they were safe.

In future versions of MarkAble, I will probably allow users to tinker with these numbers themselves through Options.

Anachronism said:
If someone can figure out how to add chapter breaks...
I, too, would like to be able to do this, but it would require quite a bit of research. If enough people register MarkAble, maybe I will have time to do it? ;)

robert

Retired
EZ guide updated with a Quick Guide for CD conversions only -- in first post. See below.

slopoke

I merged and converted a book using the quick convert tool. The files are now in my itunes library, but they won't sync with my ipod. Please help

robert

Retired
are the files checked? if not, do so. You prob did that already. Try a search on synching iTunes with iPod and see if you find something that may be in another forum. Since I do manual, I don't know. You could try changing to manual just for these audio files and then changing back to see if that works, but I am sure there must be a long-term solution. Be patient, someone will post a solution, I am sure.

slopoke

alright, so looks like i'll just have to wait for a solution. yeah, they're checked. and i can get them on manually but when i go back to auto then they're deleted off the ipod, and i don't want to go manual. so yeah, i hope someone has a solution

slopoke

i think i've found my solution. i didn't convert the files after merging them. i just merged them, then put the merged files into itunes, then manually set the options to "remember playback position" and "skip when shuffling", and the files sync fine. well, thanks for your help and great program!

slopoke

well, i ran into another problem. when i imported the merged files into itunes, i found that the bitrate and play length were WAY off. i tried playing one of the merged files on my ipod but i had a lot of trouble navigating through the file (fast forwarding and rewinding and scrolling forward and backward in time). For example, i would listen for about 5 seconds, then fast-forward to about 5 minutes later, and I'd be listening to the exact same thing! Also, I turned on "remember playback position". It does remember it... kind of. When i try going back to the file i was listening to before, i'm in a totally different part of the book (although the time elapsed shows the same reading as it was before) very strange... Thanks for any help!

robert

Retired
You are using MarkAble, are you not? Do you think you skipped something. This is one for David. If you are a MarkAble registered user, email him. Otherwise, he will probably respond here eventually-- he is on Aussie time.

slopoke

yeah i'm using markable. i'm pretty sure i didn't skip anything. i simply added the files i wanted to merge, merged them, and added them to itunes. i think it might be something wrong with the source files... but i dunno

Anachronism

slopoke said:
I merged and converted a book using the quick convert tool. The files are now in my itunes library, but they won't sync with my ipod. Please help
I am having the same problem, I even had the problem with some files I imported directly into iTunes (without markable). The directly imported files I had the problem with had the 'remember playback position' and 'skip in shuffle' boxes checked off when I first opened them.

It seems iTunes sees these files as podcasts (or partially like podcasts), I have my options set to 'copy files to iTunes folder' and 'keep iTunes library organized' and the files that will not sync are in the 'podcasts' sub folder. But they do not appear in 'podcasts' on the source menu, nor do they have the same context menu podcasts have when you right click them. :confused:

I am using iTunes 6 for windows, i wonder if iTunes 6.01 fixes this?