Album Track Numbering

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Sam Williams

When iTunes rips a CD, it fills the track number fields with "X of Y" where Y is the total number of tracks on the album.

Most of my existing tracks just have "X" in their track number fields.

Does anyone know what functional difference this makes - if any at all? I don't mind having the two different conventions, but if one is better in a concrete way, I'd rather know and use it. Thanks!

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
I don't see a point in it. I mean, why on earth would you need to know how many tracks are in the album, just count them, or the program can count it.

I don't have it filled, I just have the track number.

HiRez

Samwise said:
Does anyone know what functional difference this makes - if any at all? I don't mind having the two different conventions, but if one is better in a concrete way, I'd rather know and use it. Thanks!
I like keeping the total track count for discs, mostly just because I like having complete tags. One place it might help is if you end up with a track missing here or there, knowing how many tracks the disc is supposed to have can help you spot that one is missing (especially if it happens to be the last track or tracks). This has happened to me on several occasions. It's not something I'd worry too much about though. As far as the disc numbers go, I only fill those in where there's more than one disc.

Last edited:

bav

am3822 said:
On a similar note -- is there a way to "number tracks from list order" in iTunes?
This is exactly what I would like to know.. I've done a search on Ilounge and this is the only mention of this, so lets see if anyone has the answer..

Basically, if you have an album and it doesn't have any tracks numbered for some reason, if you highlight all the songs and "get info" you have the info page to edit the tags..

The track numbering X of Y are unchecked.. I've tried several times to see if when you put X = 1 and Y = 10 (for example, if the album had 10 tracks) - I thought iTunes would then tag the track numbers 1 thru 10 to the songs listed.. but no..

It is quite annoying, so if anyone does know a way of batch numbering of tracks that would be great! Quite tedious to go through each track individually and number them!! lol..

Thanks

snorbaard

Having the "Y" only really helps you keep track of how many discs the album consisted of in "physical" terms. Once ripped, it doesn't really matter. I remove all "(Disc Y)" references in my Album tags and just make sure they're reflected in my Disc #/Discs tags.

On am3822 and bav's questions, I know of no (easy) automated way to auto-fill the track numbers. I personally edit them manually.

You'd need a tagging tool like Tag2Rename or Helium to edit your track numbers for you, and even then, it's not that much automated anyway.

bav

i always found that j.river media centers software was excellent for this type of thing..

I used to use that before iTunes for Windows came out..