Album cover problem

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

DrGrafenberg

Can someone tell me why, when I scan my cd cover (with a good quality scanner by the way) & the picture on my pc looks perfect...when I put it into itunes as the artwork for the album it looks all "blocky" & poor quality???

cjmnews

Staff member
Maybe it's too big or too small or the quality is too low.

Typically 500px 500px at 72 dpi works fine, you can go up to 150 dpi if you choose.

S2_Mac

The "blocky" look may be an artifact of resizing a "halftoned" scan, or of applying too much smart stuff (auto-this and -that) to a halftoned image. As CJM notes, scan at 72 or 150 DPI, into an overall image size of 300x300 or 600x600 pixels; turn off "automatic" features in the scan software (auto-descreening, auto-sharpening, auto-screening) -- just make a straight "text and graphics" scan. If your initial scan doesn't produce a square image, just use an image editor program (perhaps the scanning software will do the job) to crop -- not resize -- the image to square dimensions.

If you're scanning to jpeg, keep the quality settings very high right up until you're done cropping, color correcting, unsharp masking, etc. -- make reducing file size by lowering the qaulity setting the last thing you do. (And if you're doin' it up like downtown, scanning to TIFF, keep the image as a TIFF right up until you're done editing; convert to jpeg as your last step.)