Album artwork takes up space?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

JRoDDz

I was wondering how much space if any does the album artwork add to the Nano? Can you get more songs on it if you don't add any artwork?

trayde

Website
snowblink.co.uk
See how much space you have with artwork.
Then turn it off in iTunes and update your nano.
Then see how much space you have.

It will vary depending on how large your album art is.

Domo

Website
mattholm.net
Unfortunately, the way Apple decided to store album art, is very redundant. The image is saved in the songs header. Meaning, if you have more than one song from an album, each song has its own copy of the image. Which wastes space...

NiTRO

Pleather BarcaLounger
Domo said:
Unfortunately, the way Apple decided to store album art, is very redundant. The image is saved in the songs header. Meaning, if you have more than one song from an album, each song has its own copy of the image. Which wastes space...
I agree it's redundant but I do think it's necessary. Many people add individual songs rather than complete albums to their iPods or they just rip the songs they like from an album. If the artwork isn't embedded in each song what happens if the album is incomplete or gets split?

ou8thisSN

the most it could be is around 20,000kb, if you have 1000 songs each with a picture, so you lose about 4 songs... if you have every song with album art at 128kbps.

GlenH

ou8thisSN said:
the most it could be is around 20,000kb, if you have 1000 songs each with a picture, so you lose about 4 songs... if you have every song with album art at 128kbps.
u confuse me, u mean if u have 1000 songs and artwork on each 1, the artwork will only add up to about 4 songs?

jough

El Guapo
Website
poetryx.com
Yeah. That's about right. A lot of my album art is larger than 20kb, but not by much. Most of my artwork comes from Amazon.com, and they're pretty good about optimizing the artwork for good quality at low file sizes.

The point is that every 100 songs will take up an extra 2mb (assuming 20kb per image) so for 1000 you'll lose 20mb, or just a few songs worth of data.

With my 192kbps collection, all with lyrics and artwork (the lyrics take up only 2-3kb per song, which is hardly anything) I only get about 700 songs on my 4Gb nano, which is plenty.