Album art not appearing on nano

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

curtw

7 iPods and counting
Website
moviepooper.com
Subject says it all. I do not see album art on my nano screen. I do not have any manually-imported art, I'm just looking for what came with my iTunes Music Store downloads. I can't find a setting to turn artwork on or off in the nano menus, or in any of the documentation, so I'm assuming that it should "just be there?" The only thing I can think of that might be causing it is the fact that I did not update from iTunes 4.7.1 (under MacOS 10.3), and the nano CD came with 4.9. Do I need a minimum of iTunes 4.9 to copy album art to the nano?

finiteyoda

There's no feature you need to turn on (in nano or itunes). verify that you can see the album art in itunes first (there's a button in bottom-left to show/hide album art). then make sure you updated your ipod. then play a song on the nano, and it should appear automatically.

not sure about the update thing, i'm using 5.1 myself. you should keep your itunes updated tho, b/c even if it doesn't affect album art, you will lose other nice features like lyrics, and who knows what else.

curtw

7 iPods and counting
Website
moviepooper.com
finiteyoda said:
... then make sure you updated your ipod. ...
by "updated," are you saying that I have to run the iPod firmware updater, or are you talking about loading songs onto the iPod?

Album art has always worked for me in iTunes.

Also, there's no way I'm going to "upgrade" to iTunes 5, based on all of the horror stories on the Apple forums. I'm just happy that the nano CD came with 4.9, and I will probably install that later today.

Last edited:

curtw

7 iPods and counting
Website
moviepooper.com
I just confirmed. It *does* need iTunes 4.9 or higher. Once I updated from 4.7.1 to 4.9, it loaded the artwork with new songs copied to the nano, but did not add the artwork to the songs that were previously copied to the iPod. Maybe if I edited the ID3 tags and resynchronized, it would also add the art, but I'm not hard over on it.

Last edited:

jough

El Guapo
Website
poetryx.com
Actually, there *is* a checkbox in iTunes in the iPod preferences screen about whether iTunes should copy the album art to the nano or not.

Anyway, yeah, 4.9 or higher is needed for the nano's features. It looks like they added nano support in 4.9, a couple of months before the nano was introduced.

finiteyoda

sorry, i meant updating the songs, not the ipod. and yea, make sure that checkbox is checked in preferences about displaying album art on the ipod (this was checked by default for me so i forgot to mention it). not sure why older songs wouldn't have been automatically updated, it did in my case. maybe it's a 4.9 issue.

also, not sure what horror stories have been floating around about 5.0, but i'm using 5.0.1 on the mac and it works fine. my general experience with the updates that apple puts out, is that unlike windows xp updates, they tend to actually make the product work better rather than just fixing bugs and occasionally introducing new problems.