• This is not the place to tout your latest must have app. It will be viewed as spam if you do post a link to your application or any "hey this app is awesome" shill style posts and your post will be removed and you may be banned.

If you wish to submit an application for inclusion on the iLounge.com main site please do so by sending an email to [email protected]

Alarm disappears after setting it in the reminders app

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Gadzooks

Hi I was looking for a to do list and was looking to see if Apple had one and saw that the Reminders app was supposed to be very good.

I tried a few times to set an alarm for tomorrow and every time I hit “done” and I go back to the main screen it is there under the item, but disappears after a few seconds. I look at the alarm again and then it isn’t there, and I reset it again, same thing. This is a new iPod 6th Gen with no other problems so far. Any ideas? Thanks!

cjmnews

Staff member
In the Reminders app, I create a new reminder (eg: Pool Acid)
Enable remind me on a day.
Set the alarm in the future.
Set Repeat to weekly (or custom repeat)
Ensure End Repeat is Never
List is Reminders

They seem to stick around for me.
My Reminders are shared to iCloud.
My other devices do see them.
Other devices can remove them (frustrating when someone removes my reminders)

I see another user had a similar issue (though they were NOT using iCloud), and had to delete the reminders app and reinstall it to resolve the problem. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8220441

Gadzooks

Thanks cjmnews. I checked the link you posted, and restarted the iPod. It seems to be working now, Thanks!

Gadzooks

Okay I forgot to put it in reminders, and the alarm disappeared after closing and reopening the app. Do the alarms always have to go in reminders?

cjmnews

Staff member
No the alarms don't have to be in Reminders. They could be in Family, or Tasks (syncing with Outlook type system), or a new List of your own choosing (e.g.: Chores)

Gadzooks

Thanks cjmnews. They disappear if they aren’t in reminders. I’m going to try reinstalling the Reminders app. Also, just after I closed the app when I set an alarm just now, al bunch of my app icons started flickering, like they were being refreshed or something. I haven’t seen that before. Icons such as Safari, Messenger, Stocks, Wallet, Calendar, etc. Is that normal?

cjmnews

Staff member
That does not sound normal to me. If that continues, I would back it up and restore it.

Gadzooks

Okay I backed up the iPod to the Desktop. If I make too many changes is the next couple of days I will back it up again.

I’m considering a restore. The audio stuttered a few days ago I as I was unlocking and entering my password. Also this morning I went to use it and pressed the home button and the screen was black, then the spinning thing like it was powering off, then it came on. Also the problem with the Reminder app now as well. And the flickering icons as well.

I have Apple Care and there is an Apple store in town, so if there is something wrong with it I can take it in. Thanks again, cjmnews

cjmnews

Staff member
This sounds very unhealthy. I highly recommend a restore.

If you use an encrypted backup, instead of the standard backup, then all your passwords are restored are as well.

Gadzooks

ok thanks cjmnews. I’ll probably backup to the desktop encrypted next time. That’s a good idea, saves having to login to everything again.

So I have created a few new lists, and I noticed that they are grouped under my email (I can see them when I swipe left on an item and go into “change list”), as opposed to Reminders list which is under iCloud. Is there any way to change a list from being associated with my email to my iCloud? Or does it matter, as the Reminders app is being backed up to iCloud? (Will turning off reminders in my email settings in Settings delete those lists, or will they get moved to being backed up in iCloud ?)

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
For me I have multiple sets of reminders. One under my email and one under iCloud. You should be able to switch between the two by tapping on the List it is in and choosing the other version.

You can set the default list to be the iCloud one by going to Settings->Reminders->Default List

Gadzooks

Ok I was a little confused there but it looks like I have to choose if the list is created in iCloud or my email when I first creat the list. For example, when I create a list and select “myemail@...” and go to move an item using “change list”, then that list isn’t under iCloud, it shows up under my email, and I don’t think it can be moved to iCloud . That was where I got stuck. I’m thinking of moving all my items later today into the same respectively named lists created with iCloud backup. I’ll probably have to rename the old lists as “To Do Today - Old” so I don’t get confused, and copy the items one by one.

I don’t understand yet how setting the default list to iCloud works, if I am already given a selection of backups when creating the lists initially.

cjmnews

Staff member
You can't move the default Reminders list which should be under iCloud to your email. Same goes with the default Tasks list from your email can't be moved to iCloud.

Yes I can move tasks from my iCloud list to my email list, but it disappears. I know why, I am supposed to use my phone for read only access to my work email and tasks. So the change is not synced back and forth yet. I would have to boot my laptop to see it, then it should appear on my phone.

Apple has a page discussing Reminders but only in the context of iCloud. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205890

I did find that I can rename the lists to whatever I want by tapping Edit on the list, then tap the name. I changed my default reminders list to Chores for fun. It is under iCloud. I can also rename the list under my work email, but I don't want to break that syncing, so I won't do that.

When creating a list it should ask which account to put it under, iCloud or email. I choose iCloud since I have full access there.

The default list is where new reminders are created by default, so if you tap the + in the top right of all the lists in the Reminders app (or use Siri), the default list you set in Settings->Reminders->Default List is where the reminder is created by default.

If you have a list open and tap the + in the top left of the list, that list is where the reminder will go, instead of the default.

Gadzooks

Okay thanks cjmnews, I’m getting the hang of it. I’m really enjoying using an app for my basic to do notes and the Reminders app is working out great for me.

I started moving the lists from being associated with my email to iCloud by renaming my To Do Today list to To Do Today - Old, and creating a new one. Moving the 25 items was as easy as swipe, tap, tap select iCloud list, tap done. Then I would start on the next one. Took only a few minutes to do!

Thanks for the Apple link on Reminders and iCloud, I’ll take a look at that in a bit.

There was a problem that 3 items became listed twice, ( so it said 28 items), but it was as simple as removing the 3 duplicates. And remember my Reminders app was already acting up with disappearing alarms, so I’m looking at doing a restore within the next few days. (Quite busy at the moment).

The reason I wanted to associate all my lists with iCloud was because have 4 ymail accounts, and if I don’t log in within 90 days, poof it’s gone. Fortunately I have all 4 (plus a gmail and an Apple email), on the iPod so I access all accounts daily. But I prefer to sync with iCloud.

Gadzooks

Huh, I did a test Reminder Alarm in my “To Do Today” List, which is no longer with my email account but with iCloud, & the alarm doesn’t disappear now.

Gadzooks

Okay I restored the iPod. It seems a lot smoother now. Thanks cjmnews. I’m under the impression that when I installed the iOS update (11 to 12), it didn’t “take” properly.

There are a few problems with syncing. When I first synced my music library in January, it duplicated 5 voice memos, putting a “1” after the file number. When I resynced the music library, it double synced the voice memos. So I started with about 74 and now I have 154. I have backed up my voice memos with names (after the file numbers) in a separate folder, which I don’t want to have to redo, but will if I have to. They are archived on M-Disc already,so it kinda makes a mess of my backups. I don’t know if the new iPod wants to always sync the renumbered ones, (they now have the same date number but the last 2 digits are different, except for the 5 with the “1” after them), which I want to delete. Any ideas about how I should go about fixing this? Thanks.

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
The restore process does make the voice memos look new to the sync process. That does cause the duplicates that you are seeing.

I believe that you are correct that the sync process is using the numbered ones. You can tell by looking at the files in the folder in Windows Explorer in detail mode to see the date stamps. Are the new ones the ones with the file number?

I am hoping they are not, then you can just remove the numbered ones. It could be possible that removing them all from the computer then sync again could get you back where you started. Then the backups will match the memos again.

I will look at this issue later, not at an iTunes PC at the moment.

Gadzooks

Awesome thanks, cjmnews! I’m just wondering if I remove the new voice memos from the Voice Memo folder it will keep resyncing the old ones twice again, creating new ones over and over. You mentioned something about the restore causing this. I wonder if I go ahead and clean up the Voice Memos folder and then resyncing the memos to the iPod again. (I imagine I may have to remove the old voice memos from the iPod first, I wonder if I should set iTunes to Manually Manage, and clean up the V/Memos on the iPod first).

cjmnews

Staff member
I would say don’t remove the voice memos from the iPod. Clean up the folder then sync is my guess.

I want to test this in a day or two.