• This is not the place to tout your latest must have app. It will be viewed as spam if you do post a link to your application or any "hey this app is awesome" shill style posts and your post will be removed and you may be banned.

If you wish to submit an application for inclusion on the iLounge.com main site please do so by sending an email to [email protected]

Alarm disappears after setting it in the reminders app

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Gadzooks

take your time if you do. I appreciate that. I have added about 5 new voice memos as well so I need to sync them first beforehand. I won’t be cleaning up the folder for a week or two I’m really busy, but it’s on my “To Do on PC” list;)

Gadzooks

Hi cjmnews, I just wanted to make sure you knew that the 74 Voice Memos came off my iPod touch 4th gen. Something happened when I synced after restore and I don’t quite remember why it ended up double syncing the voice memos, but there was 1 movie in the iTunes window and when I synced it I believe it synced 74 items. There was only one movie showing, and only one movie in my camera roll, and it had already synced to the iPod. I wanted to see what would happen when I synced the iMovie.

I’m not really sure, now there’s 154 Voice Memos in the folder, there were originally 73 Voice Memos on the 4th gen, I added a Voice Memo on the iPod 6th gen, and when I synced that it duplicated 5 Voice Memos, for some reason, putting a “space” and a “1” after the number.

73, + 1, + 5, + 74 = 153, so it’s close to 154. I’m going to have to start looking at the numbers to see why it’s 154. I just thought I’d give you this info before you start restoring and syncing iPods for me. :)

Last edited:

Gadzooks

Okay so when I restored the iPod, then I synced my iTunes and the VoiceMemos. Then I looked at the Videos to sync, thinking they were separate. There was one video. I checked the iPod and the video was there, I thought maybe it had to be synced with iMovie or something. So I hit sync, and I’m pretty sure it said “there are Voice Memos to sync”, and I clicked yes, wondering if they hadn’t synced with the iTunes music. Then it said 74 items across the top in iTunes. That’s what happened. But why it double-synced the Voice Memos I don’t know.

cjmnews

Staff member
I didn't see this behavior. The voice memos didn't lose their association to the original files. The second sync you mentioned above may have been the cause, but I also didn't get that behavior with the second sync after restoring.

Let's see if we can clean this up in iTunes.

I tried deleting the files in Windows Explorer and forcing a Sync and Backup. That didn't work, as the files never reappeared in Windows Explorer since iTunes thinks they are already there. Even showing iTunes they are missing by trying to play deleted files didn't get the files back with the sync.

I also tried deleting the Voice Memos in iTunes, ignoring the warning they would be deleted from my device, and synced again. The voice memos remained on the device and did not sync back to iTunes.

So, what you can do is right click one of the memos in iTunes and choose Voice Memo Info then click on the file tab. See if the file name is the -1 version or the normal version.

Based on that you'll either be able to use the existing backups, or make new backups with the new files.

Assuming they are linked to the -1 version, your other option is to keep the original files, delete the new files (and entries in iTunes) and put the new files into a playlist that you sync with your iPod Touch to keep the same historical files.

Voice Memos don't seem to be something we can manipulate after it is created on the device.

Gadzooks

Interesting. Thank you for testing this cjmnews. On my iPod touch 4th gen it would only ask me once if I wanted to backup new Voice Memos. Since I always did, I never lost a Voice Memo, I’m going to assume that’s the case with the iPod 6th gen as well, I probably won’t get time to put a test message in and select “no” to syncing it, and try syncing the new Voice Memo a second time. I just thought I would point that out.

Also, my iPod would have to be rebooted when syncing new photos to the PC, as it would say “no new photos” when I would try and sync new photos. I haven’t tested that yet, with this fresh restore. If it’s an issue still that I have to reboot I’ll post.

I’m still working through your comments regarding a reset and sync of Voice Memos. I’m planning on removing ALL of the VM’s from the iTunes folder, (I have the original 73 ( + 1 from the 6th gen) backed up with and without a detailed file name). Then I’m going to have to delete them from the iPod itself. I’m thinking that I could do it on the iPod, manually, but I think that resyncing with an empty VM folder (remove and replace) should clear it out, I think. Then if I put the Old (original) 73 + 1 VM’s back in the folder, it will sync those. If I resync Again I can see if it’s copying them Back to the iTunes VM folder As New VM’s, (duplicating them), and if that’s what it’s doing, I may have a problem, and I don’t know if I want to rename the original 74 ( not too much work, rename the numbering scheme 74 times), and redo my M-Disc backups (it’s on 4 copies of 4.7 M-Discs, so 2 hours to burn 4, not Too bad). Then I don’t know what will happen if I sync again to my old iPod touch 4th gen. If I clean that one up, and sync, it may accept the new VM’s, or it may also want to duplicate them on a second sync.

It’s created a duplication problem. I’m glad I didn’t record hundreds of Voice Memos!

cjmnews

Staff member
Mine never asked about backing them up, they were backed up automatically with the sync. Are you using manual syncing?

Did you see which file is being referenced by iTunes as the most recent?

Gadzooks

Hmm I’m not sure, after restoring the iPod touch 6th gen, I had to initiate the sync of my music, which included the voice memos. So yes I guess that was a manual sync. When I resynced the movie, that was also initiated by me. I will have to have a look at the date on the voice memos to answer your second question, I’ll try and look at it tonight.

I’ll also check if “allow iTunes to automatically sync devices” (or whatever that setting is called) is on or off.

cjmnews

Staff member
Did you skip restoring from a backup? This sounds different from what I saw. I'll restore again if needed once you get your settings to me.

Gadzooks

Hi cjmnews. Thank you again for looking into this. I think syncing the Voice Memos from the iPod 4th gen to the 6th gen maybe caused this problem. It shouldn't have, but that may be why I have duplicate Voice Memos.

Yes I restored from the latest encrypted backup from my PC. The setting "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" is unchecked. I don't know why I had to sync my music library after the restore. I just thought it worked that way. I had already synced my music library to the 6th gen when I first got it, so that shouldn't be part of the issue. Maybe because I set it to "Manually Manage" after I sync? (Old habit from trying to conserve space on my 4th gen, I needed to sync some things at full bit rate, and would sync them manually, after syncing the compressed to 128 kbps songs. If I remember correctly I had to set it to Manually manage before un-checking the compress to 128, or it would just start re syncing the library at full bit rate. Some issue such as that). Could me setting it to manually manage before restore have caused it to not sync the library during restore?

Also, when I went to restore the iPod, it said I had un-synced purchases, but I hadn't purchased anything; it wouldn't let me out of it, so I synced. I was sure I wouldn't lose anything. (I didn't lose anything).

When I went to sync the movie, which I had already noticed that it was in Camera Roll, (I looked at the iPod while it was still connected to iTunes), it showed about 74 or 75 items syncing across the top. (The movie may have been one of these items. It went by quite quickly, as my Voice Memos aren't large files, so I barely had time to see what it was doing).

(Also the issue (before restoring) with syncing new photos, it would say "there are no new photos", unless I rebooted the iPod 6th gen. (I haven't synced any new photos yet).

I am attaching a two jpgs of the top sets of files from my Voice Memo folder. You can see the duplicates by size, as the dates are sometimes identical for both the original and the duplicate, (see the second picture), although they seem to have a 10/2017 date to a lot of the earlier (2013) re-synced files. I don`t know why, as I bought this iPod in January 2019. (you can easily see them by the time beside the duplicates is 1:44 am. This changes, along with the date and time, as I go down the folder). The file I highlighted in the first picture doesn't seem to be duplicated, for some reason. You can also see 2 of the 5 that were synced when I first synced my iTunes library to the 6th gen, it seemed to want to re-copy 5 files, for some reason, with the " 'space' 1" after the file number.

The second picture of the Voice Memo folder seems to duplicate the dates once the dates of the Voice Memos gets to 2016. (again, 2 highlighted files have no duplicate).

There would be 2 more jpgs to show the rest of the folder, but I just wanted to show you what it looks like before I send the whole folder to the recycle bin.

Also, since I have the originals backed up, I will be able to see the exact file numbering for the original set. But since I will attempt to fix this by clearing out the Voice Memo folder, it isn't an issue at this point. (Maybe I won't want to sync my Voice Memos to my iPod 4th gen if I sync it again. It could make a mess again!).

The last 3 files have no duplicate (not shown). These are 3 Voice Memos that I recorded on the iPod touch 6th gen, so they are new. Also, in my iTunes Library, "Album by Artist", the names have all been changed to "Gadzooks iPod 7th gen", all except 3, which say "Gadzooks iPod" (which was my iPod 4th gen). I Don't know why 3 are left like that. They are on a separate "Album", for the iPod 4th gen Voice Memos "Album". So they weren't re-synced? These are the three that are highlighted in the pictures, they have no duplicate.

Do you think there may be something wrong with this iPod?

I just looked at the Properties for some of the duplicated files, so I re-did the jpgs with "Last Accessed". (I find that column confusing!).

I will try syncing in the next couple of days. I need to sync some new Voice Memos first, before I clear out the folder, and re-sync the iPod, probably first without any Voice Memos.81738174

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
With the files that have duplicates, which one is iTunes using? Or does it have both?

cjmnews

Staff member
That is a good sign. I think if you delete the duplicates (the ones with the 1 added to the name) from iTunes, and remove the underlying files then you will be back to the original files, and it should remove the duplicates from the iPod touch as well.

Gadzooks

Okay that makes sense. Hopefully I can sync today. I will sync the new Voice Memos and new photos first, back those up, clean up the folder, and sync my music library, and see if remove and replace cleans it up. Thanks cjmnews.

cjmnews

Staff member
When you "clean up the folder" you should do this through iTunes. Select the newer duplicates, delete, and send the files to the recycle bin. That should eliminate the duplicates. When syncing, it should only see the original set of files, eliminating the duplicates on the device.

Though my experience with the sync process was not what I expected. I had to manually delete the duplicate voice memos off my device. You may need to do this too. You can use the Get Voice Memo Info window to see the file names and compare to the ones in your recycle bin to be sure you are deleting the right ones.

This is going to be tedious.

Gadzooks

Hi cjmnews. It wasn't too bad once I compared my backup Voice Memo folder, with the iTunes Voice Memo folder. I sorted by size, and only ran into an issue with the last few files, where there were more than 2 with similar file sizes. I had to use Properties, to figure them out. I was able to remove the Voice Memos in iTunes quite quickly, once I found that if it wouldn't play, it wasn't the original in the folder. About half way through, I realized there is an exclamation point beside the files that iTunes cannot locate.

I got stuck trying to remove the Memos from the iPod, with a sync, then I realized if I put it in Manually Manage you can hit delete, or right click delete, on the Voice Memos, in iTunes.

I synced the music, first without the Voice Memos, and the song count is correct. Synced the Voice Memos, and it worked!

It did sync automatically, and didn't prompt me to choose whether or not to back up the New Voice Memos. (7 new Voice memos). Also, the new Photos and Videos synced, the iPod didn't have to be rebooted. However, I can't tell if it automatically synced my music, as there have been no new songs, so there was no items being copied. (Or removed). Although the 7 new voice memos synced automatically at some point, probably when I first connected the iPod.

On a side note, the iPod's icons were flickering again. I had a dynamic wallpaper, which I removed yesterday, it seems to have stopped, and seems to be running smoother. Also both the wallpapers are Still now, not Perspective. I don't know if that makes a difference as well.

I think that the iPod hadn't updated to iOS 12 properly, from the iOS 11 it came with. So far it seems fixed.

I synced the Movies, (I had selected to include the Movies in the Music and Voice Memo sync window). It showed one Movie, ("Sync Movies: 1 Movie" was checked), which is from my old iPod. I was trying to put it on the iPod 6th gen, and had to edit the 57 second Movie, (about 71 MB), down to 41 seconds, to email it to myself, and saving to Camera Roll, the 41 second edited one. I selected "sync all Movies", and it said "1 of 94", across the top. Strangely, the Movie is 094. Does it say, "syncing 1 of 094"? ( I didn't want my old iPod's Camera Roll in the Cloud, they are backed up manually, and If I want a photo from my iPod 4th gen, I can add it manually). The 41 second version was already synced. I don't know if this is a problem. The 57 second Movie (the edited 41 second version) is only one of a bunch of Movies in Camera Roll (and iMovie), but I can see the 57 second 094 Movie in my photos folder on the Desktop, along with several more, that aren't in Camera Roll (or iMovie). The 57 second Movie shows in iTunes "On My Device" in the Movie tab.

I cannot find this 57 second Movie (on the iPod 6th gen). Syncing the Movies didn't duplicate the Voice Memos. All 84 Voice Memos (73+1+3=77+7 new =84), are now neatly labeled as "Gadzooks iPod touch 7th gen"(hehe)), rather than some still labeled as "Gadzooks iPod touch" (my 4th gen). I have looked in Camera Roll, Deleted, iMovie, and my "Large Files" folder in my Files app.

So far this looks great. I appreciate all your help and encouragement helping me fix this issue.

I still may have an issue if I sync my iPod touch 4th gen's Voice Memos, I don't know. I haven't decided if I will use it more than a backup device for email, and a second alarm clock. Still, if I add more songs to iTunes, and decide to sync them to the iPod 4th gen, I hope there isn't this duplication issue again. If there is, at least I know how to fix it. For that reason, I am going to try not to make too many unnecessary Voice Memos.

It actually wasn't that tedious, once I got into what I was doing, and got focused. About 3 hours with breaks.

cjmnews

Staff member
3 hours is tedious in my book. I just want to plug it in, do something else, and pick it up done.

I am glad the Voice Memos are back to normal. The flickering makes me concerned about the hardware.

The movie syncing may be happening because of the different types of movies. There are Movies and Home Videos. The default for imported videos is Home Videos. Both sync with the Movies section of the iPod Touch. Maybe you have 93 home videos and 1 movie? That would account for the 1 of 94 status bar.

Does the 57 second video show up in Movies or Home Videos in iTunes? If not, then it will not sync. You may have to look in the Apple TV app to see the video that was synced to the iPod touch.

If you got the Voice Memos synced with the 7th gen using the original files, then the 4th gen shouldn't create duplicates.

Gadzooks

Okay now I’m getting the hang of it. By hanging on to a 4th gen iPod touch for as long as I could seems to have left me out of the loop to the upgraded features.

I found the 57 second version of the .MOV (094.MOV) in the TV app. Thanks cjmnews for showing me that. I did a search online to try to see how to remove them from the TV app, (press and uncheck), it seems I’m not the only one that doesn’t understand the difference between Camera Roll, Photo Stream, iMovie, Home Movies in the TV app, (and there is also Clips), and I put a 175 MB video in iCloud and I can view it in my Files app. Lots to learn!

I get Camera Roll, backed up to iCloud, and I have edited videos in Camera Roll in iMovie, and that makes sense to me. I hadn’t looked for the Home Movie 094.MOV in TV as I thought it was for “watching TV”. I must have added it when I first synced the iPod, I was trying to get larger video files on the iPod, and hadn’t tried the Files app and iCloud Drive on the desktop yet. I must have drag and dropped or used File/open to get it there. I had gotten distracted when it synced and I couldn’t find it, and was finishing up when I noticed my song count was way up. That’s when I found the extra Voice Memos.

Because I hadn’t looked in the TV app, I had no idea where that Movie that was synced was on the iPod. Thanks for helping me out.

I’m wondering if I can put the 175 MB movie in the iPods TV app. I was playing around with syncing some of my Home Videos, and tried syncing a .MVI file, which worked. That actually is cool, as that same 175 MB MVI video in my Files app is using about a 6th of a GB of my (currently) 5 MB iCloud space. (I am thinking of paying for more, I’m sure I’ll need it, but since I backup my Photos, Videos, and Documents to M-Disc (Memory Sticks temporarily while I’m organizing my next backup), being able to sync my Home Movies would be nice as they wouldn’t use up iCloud. (I know there is a way to keep them on the iPod and remove them from iCloud but I need to look into that more. I’m not sure I can remove just specific files from iCloud that are in my Camera Roll, for example removing them in iCloud on the desktop, and not having them removed from the iPod). (Also, if I recall correctly, I can put photos directly into Camera Roll in iCloud on the Desktop, but that will also take up iCloud space).

I’m just trying to figure out how to add random jpgs to the iPod. I usually just email them to myself, as I don’t see an obvious way to sync selected jogs to the Camera Roll. I guess I could also use the iCloud Drive on the desktop to do that.

When I synced the Home Videos, I saw that it said 208 Movies. I did a quick count and it looks like that doesn’t include my MVI’s or my older AVI videos. I’ll have to count them again, there are older mov files (mov is not in capitals) from my brother in a folder, I’m not sure if they are getting counted as well.

I wanted to point out that when I synced the Movies, it said “1 of 094”, then “2 of 0664”. That’s where I’m seeing those numbers. The 0664 is a MVI, and I am able to play it in the TV app.

I had added a new photo to the iPod’s Camera Roll, and it said “no new photos“ again, I had to reboot the iPod to get the new photo off the iPod. However, I haven’t noticed the icons flickering. That doesn’t mean that the extra movement on the screen from a Dynamic Wallpaper isn’t indicative of some hardware problem.

I see how the Voice Memos shouldn’t cause a problem duplicating if I sync to the 4th gen again, you are right, if the new iPod is using the old Voice Memos, there shouldn’t be a problem with either of the iPods now. Why it double-synced the Voice Memos I just don’t know.

Anyway thanks for all your help cjmnews. Apart from the fact that there may be a hardware issue with this iPod, the only problem now is that it needs to be rebooted to sync new photos. (It didn’t need to be rebooted when I synced the photos just before I did the restore. So it may not be all the time?) Still, I don’t think that should happen. And if the icons start flickering again, especially if they do without the Dynamic Wallpaper, I’m going to take it in to the Apple store.

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
I don't think AVI files will sync. Apple doesn't support that format. iTunes is (was, I haven't tried in several years) able to convert them to an acceptable format like mp4.

I don't think the iPod is behaving properly if it needs a reboot to sync the photos. Though I have seen this issue, and rebooting Windows resolves it for me. iTunes reliability seems to be on a downward trend.

You may want to restore the iPod again, to see if these odd issues go away. The Apple Store is also a good idea, IF the problem is showing at the time.

Gadzooks

Okay I’m testing some things out, and I added some Home Videos to the Movie tab in iTunes to sync to the iPod TV app. I wanted to remove two, as I wanted to rename them, and cannot do it later in the TV app. (At least I can’t find a way to).

I can’t figure out how to remove the Home Movies from iTunes. I see that I can “Un-sync” them by unchecking them, but I wanted to keep the tab in iTunes organized.

If I remove the file from it’s folder in windows, will it get removed from the iTunes Movies tab? And if I put it back, will it go back in?

Last edited: