airport express

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

beeceedeecee

i currently store all my music files on a Popcorn Hour C200 and play them wirlessly with itunes through my laptop , ive just bought an airport express , but can only get music stored on the laptop to play , but cant get anything on the popcorn hour to play through the Airport Express , any help would be apreciated .

Sparkee

The Airport Express uses Apple's Airplay for it's streaming audio. There is some software (Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil) available that allows other audio to be sent from a computer to an Airplay speaker other than iTunes. However hardware wise your Popcorn Hour needs to support Airplay to be able to send it's audio to the AE. So far all I have seen third party wise is Airplay compatible speakers that only receive audio. I believe the only hardware aside from computers running software is Apple's iPhones, touch's, iPads and Apple TVs.

S2_Mac

Wow, you've been wrestling with this problem for a while, no? (Guessing this might be you, back in July...well, so much for recommending that you visit the Popcorn Hour boards ;-)

From what you've posted, I'm guessing the C200 has had the optional WiFi card installed, and you've been using wireless to connect the C200 to the laptop (instead of, say, an ethernet cable), yes? And that you're playing music on the laptop using iTunes, yes? (IOW, you're simply using the C200 as an external hard drive for storing iTunes music files, and are using iTunes to play music only on the laptop.) So, what exactly are you trying to do with the Airport Express? Do you want to extend the range of your current wireless network? If so, that's p'bly just a matter of reviewing settings on the AE and the C200. If you're looking to use the AE to provide a streaming digital (or analog) signal to a stereo system, powered speakers, or a gizmo like a Squeeebox Touch, the settings are a bit different...but it should still just be a matter of correct setup. Or are you looking to use the AE as a wireless router? Or something else....?

If you could provide more details about your current setup and what you want to accomplish, there's p'bly an answer (heck, this guy used 2 Airport Express units to make his ethernet-only A100 become wireless ;-).

beeceedeecee

Hi , I'm not very clued up on these things , I rely on my son to do the dirty work :) , but I do know that the PH is connected by Ethernet cable and does not have the wifi card installed , so this might simply be the root cause of our streaming problem , my son is out at the moment , so I'll let him have a read of this and report back , cheers
Brian